Author Topic: Gun rights victories in the last 20 years  (Read 663 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Gun rights victories in the last 20 years
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
Here's a positive, uplifting column from Claire Wolfe. Now there's a sentence I thought I'd never write... And over all, I agree. There's no doubt the general trend is towards expansion of laws recognizing the 2A, imperfect as they may be. IL has concealed carry now, multiple states are doing Constitutional carry, WA just legalized SBR's after doing the same for silencers. Lots of positives, and even the big bad news has silver linings. CO bastards getting recalled or forced to resign to avoid it, massive non-compliance in NY and CT, and the vile grave dancers not being able to push anything through nationally after the mass shootings. As long as we can keep the NRA from selling us out on "mental health restrictions" that the ATF interprets as "anyone who's ever been sad is now depressed and prohibited" then the future is looking bright.

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/view/the-20-year-fight-for-gun-rights
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Gun rights victories in the last 20 years
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
I was surprised, too.  Claire can sometimes be the Eeyore of the gun rights/civil liberty/freedom movements.  It reminded me of everything positive that has happened in the past few decades.  I live in state (MI) that has plenty of room for improvement, but people here seem to forget how bad things were.  I started getting into guns and buying them in the early 1990's.  At that time, getting a carry permit was almost impossible.  A few counties were willing to give out permits if you could show a compelling reason, such as having to make night deposits or working in an area that was dangerous.  Most counties would only give them to judges, retired cops, celebrities, and people that were politically connected.  Within a few years, we were stuck with the federal AWB.  Yes, things have certainly gotten better.  AWB expired, we got shall issue, we can now own machine guns, suppressors, SBRs and SBSs. 

The other big change I have seen is the attitude of most people towards gun control.  When the AWB was passed in 94, there was tremendous bipartisan support.  IIRC, a higher percentage of Republicans in the Senate supported it than Democrats.  Both Reagan and Ford endorsed it.  We still have the usual loudmouths calling for gun control, but it thankfully doesn't seem to go anywhere. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.