Author Topic: Talk me down!  (Read 1893 times)

The Annoyed Man

Talk me down!
« on: September 20, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
It's been 3 weeks since I've had a cigarette.  Something a short while ago made me really angry, and I'm still feeling angry.  I'm having the strongest craving for a cigarette I've had so far right now and it's lasted over 10 minutes.

Any suggestions as to what to do, that doesn't involve a cigarette?

The Annoyed Man

Re: Talk me down!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
Ok.  That's just weird.

Either posting about wanting a cigarette just somehow made the craving go away..... or it was just really coincidental timing.

Nevermind I guess.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
Good for you, Dude.

Maybe you just found your release.

Better get a laptop with an air card so you can post whenever you need to. Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
Cigarettes are dumb!
But they make you look cool...
If you think LUNG CANCER IS COOL.
Some people do!

Tough call, mang.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
smoking has nothing to do with looking cool these days.  It has everything to do with nicotine passing through the BBB promoting the production of dopamine and lots of other chemical awesomeness.

It sucks that it also causes cancer.  I quit because of <----- but I miss being able to go outside while stressed out, stare at the sky, and enjoy the effects of nicotine.

I'm hoping that eventually I'll just forget about the pleasurable effects of smoking and stop craving it when stressed, upset, or angry.  I'm not going to substitute it for another substance though because:

A) Almost all substitutes are illegal and I don't do drugs (never have).

and

B) Alcohol is legal, but I barely ever drink because my pancreas can't handle that many carbohydrates.  I've only probably had 1 or 2 scotch on the rocks since the beginning of the year and no other forms of alcohol (except for if Listerine has alcohol, but I don't swallow obviously).

and

C) Harm-free nicotine substitutes exist, but I think you'd have to be a billionaire to use them permanently, and ultimately the goal is to become disciplined, not to let my body control me.

The trouble is that I really want to quit, and have been good about it so far, but I miss it enough that I even have had dreams with me smoking, and then getting upset that I failed myself by giving in, only to wake up and realize that I haven't actually had a cigarette.  I've had that dream 4-5 times so far.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Listerine
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
(except for if Listerine has alcohol, but I don't swallow obviously)

I tried Listerine once.  But I didn't inhale.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Listerine
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »
I tried Listerine once.  But I didn't inhale.

I tried snorting coke once, but got an ice cube jammed up my nose.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
I tried the patch once, but I couldn't get the damn thing to light.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 04:40:28 PM »
Prayer helped me.  Serenity Prayer is a good one. 
You should now be clean of nicotine so it is probably now an emotional problem.  Don't drink as that will make it worse.  Strenuous exercise should help. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 03:19:27 PM »
Any suggestions as to what to do, that doesn't involve a cigarette?

Google "clinton" and "cigar" Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »
In all seriousness, are you into video games?  They've helped me in a number of ways, including smoking reduction and stress reduction.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
My Mom used to wig out my Dad so bad he would run up and down the street to calm down. So next time you get stressed out go for a run. Don't jog. Run.

1. The running will bring down your blood pressure.
2. It will burn up your adrenaline.
3. It will counter act the constriction response in your extremities.
4. You will be farther away from the idiot that is causing your stress.
5. By being farther away from said idiot. You will not be arrested for choking him/her out.

So run .Cheese run.

Jim a frequent runner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
In all seriousness, are you into video games?  They've helped me in a number of ways, including smoking reduction and stress reduction.

Not really to be honest, but it's funny you ask as my brother works in the industry now and gets pretty much any video game for free as a perk, so my father recently bought a PS3 and my brother keeps sending a box of games every week or so.

I have yet to try it out, but my father plays often.  I've been kept too busy with law school apps: round two, and work to get a chance to sit down and even so much as turn the darn thing on.

My Mom used to wig out my Dad so bad he would run up and down the street to calm down. So next time you get stressed out go for a run. Don't jog. Run.

1. The running will bring down your blood pressure.
2. It will burn up your adrenaline.
3. It will counter act the constriction response in your extremities.
4. You will be farther away from the idiot that is causing your stress.
5. By being farther away from said idiot. You will not be arrested for choking him/her out.

So run .Cheese run.

Jim a frequent runner

I've tried hitting the gym, but not running or cycling.... maybe I'll try that.

Google "clinton" and "cigar"

Google returns results about a crazy ex president with a psychotic wife..... must be some mixup.  Was there another more specific term to look up instead.  laugh  laugh

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 03:21:48 AM »
FWIW, a man I worked for years ago said when he quit, as he'd promised his wife he would do when they had children, "...it was a slap year before I stopped wanting a cigarette."

It wasn't the physical addiction, it was, like you said, wanting the whole experience, the familiar ritual.

He stuck it out and had been off the coffin nails for about ten years at the time I knew him.

Hang in there.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.