Author Topic: Online resources for fingerprint information?  (Read 821 times)

The Annoyed Man

Online resources for fingerprint information?
« on: October 02, 2008, 07:02:39 AM »
I need to learn about forensic fingerprinting - fast.  Any online resources I should check out?

I need to understand the science of using latent prints to identify an individual, its drawbacks and weaknesses, etc.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks. Smiley  undecided

HankB

• friend
Re: Online resources for fingerprint information?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »
This may not be helpful, but . . .

I've been fingerprinted a couple of times for background check purposes, and each time, the prints were deemed unacceptable, and had to be redone. And in comparing notes with others who've needed prints for background checks, this does NOT seem to be at all unusual.

If a certified fingerprint tech using a standard fingerprint kit with a co-operative subject has difficulty getting prints deemed acceptable enough to establish my identity by law enforcement, put me firmly in the "skeptics" column when it comes to lifting latent prints of sufficient quality to be acceptable for evidentiary/forensic puposes in regard to a crime.

I know this flies in the face of a great deal of police science . . . but in cases like this I put a lot more weight on personal experience than I do on what's "accepted" knowledge.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Online resources for fingerprint information?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:59:54 AM »
I printed maybe 50 security guards when I was a security company supervisor. Only a few came back for redoing. And I was taught in about 5 minutes.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.