Author Topic: Does anyone have any good tips for sleep?  (Read 9298 times)

Terpsichore

• friend
Does anyone have any good tips for sleep?
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
Currently running about three, maybe four hours sleep in the last two days.  Only reason I'm upright are those five hour energy shots so I can make it through my shifts.  Does anyone have any good tips on how to fall and stay asleep?
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Does anyone have any good tips for sleep?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »
Never use your bed for anything but sleep. (With one exception.)

If you lie down and can't sleep, don't stay in bed. Get up and do something very boring until you get very tired.

Create a schedule for waking and stick to it. Our bodies are designed to work in cycles.

Try not to nap.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
No stimulants within 12 hours of your normal sleep time.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »
Tylenol PM has helped me when I cannot sleep.
No sleep apnea issues, right?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
After working night shift for 10 years now, I've been there.

Caffeine will stay in your system and mess with your sleep longer than you think. Even though the stimulant effects only last a few hours, avoid it for 12 hours before you go to bed. FYI,they do make decaf 5 hour. If it gets really bad I keep a box of Unisom, but don't use it for more than a few days without talking to a doc about what might be causing it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »
When I go a few days of real bad sleep, usually a sleep aid on a day off catches me up too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »
Currently running about three, maybe four hours sleep in the last two days.  Only reason I'm upright are those five hour energy shots so I can make it through my shifts.  Does anyone have any good tips on how to fall and stay asleep?

Nix the caffeine.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
Caffeine will stay in your system and mess with your sleep longer than you think. Even though the stimulant effects only last a few hours, avoid it for 12 hours before you go to bed.

I have not heard this before. Does anyone have a good source on this info?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »
Exercise during the day. Doesn't have to be strenuous, just get your body moving.
Light stretching before bed.
Go to bed before you get tired. Try to do that the same time each night.
No TV or computers while in bed.
When trying to get to sleep, think about something you enjoy. Positive, happy, relaxing thoughts, not I hope I can sleep tonight thoughts. This will help you relax.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
"Nix the caffeine."

I really don't drink soda that much anymore and that was the bulk of my caffeine intake.  Coffee is maybe a cup or two once a week.  I don't like using the energy shots and use them as a last resort.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
I have not heard this before. Does anyone have a good source on this info?

I'm trying to find it. But I read an article that it's not the caffeine that's "still in your system" but some other brain chemicals that can get kicked into a catch-22 cycle of wakefulness by caffeine. And this varies from person to person.

So people's sensitivity can vary greatly.

Terpsichore, I'd try melatonin from the drugstore, or vitamin store. Probably about 3mg to start. However, I'd try to limit it. Melatonin is very safe, beyond a certain amount, the body just doesn't use it, and people taking dozens of times the regular dose in clinical studies have shown no ill effects. However, I do think a certain amount of dependency can set in after a week or two of use. So if you take it, after a few weeks, you may need more to sleep, or might have another bout of insomnia if you quit taking it.

You could also try Dyphenhydramine, which is the active ingredient in Unisom, Tylenol PM, and just plain Benadryl antihistamine.

These gentler and/or natural sleep aids can be problematic if you get dependent on them, however, I've used melatonin on my kids with great success to help get them trained to go to bed at the right time too. The chemical issues aside, I think sleep aids can help habituate a person into sleeping when they should.

Also, light exposure regulates the natural melatonin production and uptake in the brain. So keeping the light subdued and as dark as possible when at home before bedtime would possibly help.
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:26 AM »
You could also try Dyphenhydramine, which is the active ingredient in Unisom, Tylenol PM, and just plain Benadryl antihistamine.

No. Unisom is Doxylamine. It's still an antihistamine, but it's definitely different than Diphenhydramine, which helps when my allergies get bad but definitely doesn't help me sleep. YMMV.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »
Thanks AJ, I'll try the melatonin again and hope for better results than last time (switched to valerian with limited short term success), but am kinda on the fence about putting more stuff in my system.  I REALLY don't want to get dependent on sleep aids.  The dark isn't going to be an issue, I like the dark and try to let only natural light into my home when I can.  

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
No. Unisom is Doxylamine. It's still an antihistamine, but it's definitely different than Diphenhydramine, which helps when my allergies get bad but definitely doesn't help me sleep. YMMV.

Good to know.

Diphenhydramine works well for me. Well enough that I have to be very desperate with allergy/sinus symptoms, or just going to bed anyway, before I'll take it.

Ah... good old Doxylamine, the down pillow wrapped lead sledgehammer that's also in NyQuil.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
Thanks AJ, I'll try the melatonin again and hope for better results than last time (switched to valerian with limited short term success), but am kinda on the fence about putting more stuff in my system.  I REALLY don't want to get dependent on sleep aids.  The dark isn't going to be an issue, I like the dark and try to let only natural light into my home when I can.  

Aren't you worried you'll have a pathetically small carbon footprint? Better burn a few tires, to catch up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »
I've already burned enough miscellaneous things with making candles, baking cookies/cheesecake/whatnots and the like, granted that's mostly been my arms and fingers...(don't you say one word, Strings), but I think I'll leave a decent carbon imprint if you count burned foodstuffs.  lol

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
As a natural-born nightowl since birth, I've fought sleeplessness all my life.

1. Read all ingredients on any packaged food and stay away from anything with MSG- related content.  These may be disguised as "flavoring," "natural flavoring," "hydrolyzed vegetable protein," etc.  MSG and its pseudonyms are pretty strong mental stimulants  and will keep your mind racing like mad even while you're absolutely exhausted.  I used to keep a small jar of Accent (pure MSG) in my office so if I was feeling dull and if, let's say, a meeting was coming up where I needed to sharpen up, I'd put about a  quarter inch pile of it in the palm of my hand and lick it off.  Overdoing the amount gives me a headache, and don't do it if you're watching your sodium intake.  Lots of chinese food contains MSG, so avoid that and don't trust them when you say "No MSG" and they nod and dutifully write it down on their order pad.  There will be MSG in your food whether you want it or not.  (And asking for decaf coffee at any restaurant is no guarantee that it will actually be decaf when you get it.)

2. There's a whole bunch of things which keep me awake besides that. Vitamin C, Paprika, and many other spices will do it for me.  This has been observed in myself over many decades, and I don't care if you want "experimental proof" of this.  It's a fact borne of long self-observation and finding these little sneaky things which keep me awake.  Interestingly, garlic doesn't bother me that much, but onions do... I note that onions contain lots of Vitamin C, but garlic not so much.

3.  For the short term, yes, tryptophane works, or at least most of the time.  The FDA banned tryptophane a couple of years ago and I was furious and resorted to purchasing tryptophane as an "animal tranquilizer" from a Vet supply house.  That worked fine, but the stuff I got from a health food store recently (the FDA "unbanned" it a couple of years later) does not work as well.  I got some Jenne-o turkey ham from the supermarket and if I'm needing to get relaxed enough to sleep, I slice off a hunk of turkey ham and eat it.  Seems to be effective.

4.  I occasionally will take a half of an over-the-counter sleep aid pill, and while they work reliably, they make me feel dopey the next day and seem to affect my vision slightly.  In general, I hate taking pills of any kind in their full dose, and have a pill cutter to halve them.

5. There is no set time when a stimulant, like coffee or tea wears off completely.  It's a matter of what the "half-life" is in your body, and this varies with your metabolism, sensitivity to that chemical, and the amount ingested.  Some people say "four hours" for coffee, others say "twelve hours," etc, but it depends.  For me, coffee doesn't bother me that much, but I will avoid it "later in the day" if I know I've got to sleep well that evening.  And yes, I mean "half-life" just like with radioactive decay.  It's the same logarithmic function.

6.  Background noise such as with white noise generators sometimes help, and I frequently drop off in bed with the TV on a quiet TV station (no shoot-'em-ups), but this is not 100% reliable.  Just keep the volume down so you can just barely understand the dialog.

Now that I'm retired, all this isn't all that significant and I have reverted to my natural  "ad libitum" sleep schedule, where I'm usually up until 5Am, then go to sleep for about five hours and get up naturally around ten-ten-thirty.  But I'm in a very quiet situation here in my isolated senior citizen's apartment. Lucky me  --after a lifetime of fighting insomnia and having my life revolve around a daily "up-and-at-'em" schedule.

For what it's worth... and I'm not kidding about watching the ingredients in foods.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:52:09 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
I like the dark and try to let only natural light into my home when I can.

Well, there's your problem:

Switch to a better brand.

Or try detcord.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
Well, there's your problem:

Switch to a better brand.

Or try detcord.

Ewie.  I'm not a beer drinker.  lol

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
Ewie.  I'm not a beer drinker.  lol

It's OK, that's not beer

NSFW
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:00:58 PM by bedlamite »

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
It's OK, that's not beer

NSFW

Can't argue with them.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:17 PM »
Olde phart checking in.  What makes you think you need more sleep?

Unless you are literally dropping out at work, skip all the keep-me-awake crap and just allow yourself to be tired so that when you get home you can go to sleep.  If you end up going to sleep at (for example) 6 PM and wake up at 11:30 PM, do something that does not require a lot of brainpower or physical exertion, eat very lightly if at all, and then go back to sleep either when you become sleepy or no later than 2 AM.  Avoid the wam bath/shower stuff unless you smell so badly that you need it anyway.  Get up at your normal time.

Based on my younger days when I did many back-to-bacl all-nighters, I found that getting what sleep I could untl the weekend would carry me through and then I'd sleep as long as my body said I needed to when I had no commitment like a job calling to me.

The point being, regardless of age, to sleep only as long as your body tells you it needs to.  If you are falling-down tired during the day, power nap.  The point is to wake before deep sleep starts.  And only do it once per day, and most importantly not while driving or operating other machinery.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
I work the graveyard shift (AKA mushroom shift) I got a prescription for Lunesta. I only take it 1-2 times a week and it makes a big difference for me. The OTC sleep aids leave me groggy after even 10 hours of sleep.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
"What makes you think you need more sleep?"

I have been a rotten sleeper for a few years now.  Never could fall asleep and stay asleep, awake every hour or so then asleep again for maaaaaybe another hour/half hour.  Dreams wake me up, too, sometimes I can fall back asleep, other times, not a snowball's chance in heck.  I try letting my body just fall asleep naturally, but that ends up being awake from 5am to 2am, repeat.  Napping so I can function when I have a day off helps, but not great help. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
I was a cab driver from 1800 to 0600 for a few yrs plus other night jobs too.
I've had sleep issues.

I've found that the wally world brand antihistamines work ok two times a month but I develop a tolerance, I have used warmed milk in the past but I don't like milk much-but it has worked.

Reading before bed, I had a prescription for some kind of drug...ambien ?? I cant remember the name of it, when I had knee surgery in 2004 they gave me some, it worked great for a week then tolerance kicked in.

Maybe see a doc if you can and try that but I recommend only using it twice a week so you do not get a tolerance to it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."