Author Topic: Does anyone have any good tips for sleep?  (Read 9297 times)

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Does anyone have any good tips for sleep?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »
High-proof drink helps me! A couple before bed and I fall asleep quickly.

Without, I often lay awake for an hour or more. Do not like!

Beer, though, makes it worse, except in large quantities. I have to metabolize all the carbs if I drink beer before bed; defeats the purpose.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
Reading before bed, I had a prescription for some kind of drug...ambien ?? I cant remember the name of it, when I had knee surgery in 2004 they gave me some, it worked great for a week then tolerance kicked in.

Not trying to push Ambien...but I had the same issue at first.  I've been alternating between a half dose (5mg) and full (10mg) with great success for ~ 5 years now.  It's not without side effects (especially the 10 mg dose) but not sleeping for days has more than it's fair share of those as well.   

erictank

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
I have not heard this before. Does anyone have a good source on this info?

Have heard it before, but can't remember the source - "half-life" of caffiene is supposed to be something like 3 hours.  After 3 hours or so, there's no effective stimulant effect for most, but your body doesn't get rid of it all until 9-12 hours after ingestion, so it can disrupt sleep. YMMV, naturally.

Terpsichore - have you tried melatonin?  It can help as long as you don't rely on it regularly. (reads rest of thread.)  Ah, you have.  Well, sorry, that's about all I've got.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
I'm going to sleep well tonight, but I wouldn't call drinking a bunch of whiskey a good tip.

I've heard several good reports on Ambien. I take a Benadryl if I need to get to sleep. Doesn't always work.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
"What makes you think you need more sleep?"

I have been a rotten sleeper for a few years now.  Never could fall asleep and stay asleep, awake every hour or so then asleep again for maaaaaybe another hour/half hour.  Dreams wake me up, too, sometimes I can fall back asleep, other times, not a snowball's chance in heck.  I try letting my body just fall asleep naturally, but that ends up being awake from 5am to 2am, repeat.  Napping so I can function when I have a day off helps, but not great help. 

Any chance of sleep apnea?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
Any chance of sleep apnea?

Very good question....I had a lot of difficulty sleeping & staying awake....enough so that I couldn't drive longer than 10 minutes without drifting off at the wheel. A sleep study and a CPAP later....and I'm doing great. Even trained myself not to sleep unless the mask is on.

Olde phart checking in.  What makes you think you need more sleep?

Well, if you don't get enough sleep, you become grumpy & crochety and grumble & gripe when other people start talking about their problems on forums and......

....oh.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »
Valerian root.  It is an herb, you can get it at the health food store or aisle at the grocery store. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_root

I used to take it in order to sleep for my double back shifts.  I've never had any adverse effects and slept like a baby. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
I sleep really well after being with a woman...............or.................now in my elder years, a couple martinis.........chris3

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »
Ambien.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »
Nothing works if a little one decides to get sick all over the place multiple times after 11:00 PM.

jim

I was planning on going to sleep early tonight.

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
Valerian root.  It is an herb, you can get it at the health food store or aisle at the grocery store. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_root

I used to take it in order to sleep for my double back shifts.  I've never had any adverse effects and slept like a baby. 

I'm currently trying it with varied....I don't want to call it success, but it does get me to a calmer state where I can at least doze.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 03:11:03 AM »
I'm currently trying it with varied....I don't want to call it success, but it does get me to a calmer state where I can at least doze.
Have you tried meditation?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
Detcord
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
"Any chance of sleep apnea?"

No idea.  It may be something I should look into having a sleep study done for.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
"Any chance of sleep apnea?"

No idea.  It may be something I should look into having a sleep study done for.

If you are tired all the time, no matter how long you slept, if you're told by your significant other that you snore loudly and maybe even stop breathing during the night - go get your sleep study done ASAP.  You'll likely need to do two, one without a CPAP for a baseline and the next with a machine, in order to be properly diagnosed (the doctor will tell you what he requires, of course), and I'm given to understand that CPAPs don't actually work for everyone.  They worked wonders for me, though - even after only half a night on one for the test, I woke up far more refreshed than I had from a full night's sleep without one, to the point that my wife literally asked who I was and what I'd done with her husband when I got home from the sleep center that morning and was awake, alert, and cheery. I found it relatively easy to adapt to wearing the mask, though it is and always will be an annoyance - but I sleep so much better wearing it.  If you think you might be apneic, go get checked out, don't delay for a few years like I did!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
People, people, watch what you're eating, please.

Anything with glutamate-related compounds in it will keep you tossing and turning most of the night.  Glutamates = "hydrolyzed vegetable protein," flavor enhancers, etc, and the good old monosodium glutamate (MSG.)

The FDA has no real authority to regulate how these compounds are named, so the foodmakers can call it a lot of differnt things.

I hate to harp on this, and it is by no means the only stuff that can keep you awake (caffiene, Vitamin C for me, kids throwing up all night, etc.), but I believe it may be a major if largely unrecognized factor in sleep disruption.

Scientific?  I don't know.  Anecdotal?  Sure.  Highly significant to me after years of "anecdotes?"  Yep.

Significant for you?  Maybe, maybe not, but you ought to watch that ingredient list in prepared foods to find out.

You might just be, like me, a natural-born nightowl, forcing yourself into society's diurnal schedule, but for me it sure paid to keep an eye on those darned ingredients.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 06:17:44 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
Cup of hot cocoa with a splash of whiskey added to it. Helps me occasionally =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
"Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day."
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
I've found a good energetic round of sex helps with a good nights sleep as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 01:29:36 AM »
For me, my issue is having the right sleeping conditions so that I get a full nights rest after a normal day (as opposed to a completely exhausting day, when I can go to sleep just about anywhere). I've got to have complete darkness, a cool (but not too cold...say around 65 deg is great for me) room, a good firm mattress and good pillows to support my head. If you've changed your sleeping environment in the past few years and had issues shortly after the change, that could be a clue...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!