Author Topic: Boss Question  (Read 4591 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Boss Question
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 09:53:11 AM »
Quit, or get yourself fired, and take as many of your coworkers as you can, and start your own shop.

If your corporate culture has tolerated this guy this long, you're not going to get justice.

Flip 'em the bird and die like a Viking.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »
Quit, or get yourself fired, and take as many of your coworkers as you can, and start your own shop.

If your corporate culture has tolerated this guy this long, you're not going to get justice.

Flip 'em the bird and die like a Viking.

Viking died? How? When? Where?  :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
Viking died? How? When? Where?  :P

Heard it was from punching a hippie. He contracted PatchouliAIDS when the nasty diseased hippie bit him.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
This boss ain't from a certain sub-continent, is he  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
I figure you've got three options.

1) Quit
2) Find another job THEN quit (smarter)
3) Work with everybody else that hates the MFer and all find new jobs, quit on the same day. (That'll get noticed, dude might lose his job)

Complaints to higher-ups are easily dismissed.  It would cost more to replace the manager or fix the problem than just dismiss your complaints. 

There are two ways to make your boss look bad.

A)  Do not do your job and get paid for not doing it, which isn't ethical in my opinion.
B)  Do not do your job via quitting.

As long as the work is getting done your boss is doing his job.  He might be doing it the wrong way, and boy have I seen that, but if you continue to show up and meet company expectations he's in the clear.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »
I figure you've got three options.

1) Quit
2) Find another job THEN quit (smarter)
3) Work with everybody else that hates the MFer and all find new jobs, quit on the same day. (That'll get noticed, dude might lose his job)

Complaints to higher-ups are easily dismissed.  It would cost more to replace the manager or fix the problem than just dismiss your complaints. 

There are two ways to make your boss look bad.

A)  Do not do your job and get paid for not doing it, which isn't ethical in my opinion.
B)  Do not do your job via quitting.

As long as the work is getting done your boss is doing his job.  He might be doing it the wrong way, and boy have I seen that, but if you continue to show up and meet company expectations he's in the clear.

I've done no. 3 before. About sent the idiot boss into a mental breakdown.

The problem with gathering evidence and contacting higher ups or HR is that they don't want to hear about or deal with problems. Much easier to fire the squeaky wheel and get a fresh retail drone...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »

The problem with gathering evidence and contacting higher ups or HR is that they don't want to hear about or deal with problems. Much easier to fire the squeaky wheel and get a fresh retail drone...
[/quote]

And there lies the reason I've kept my mouth shut for so long.  The last time an employee went to the higher up was when GM didn't out the employees raise through.  It was documented he had earned it, but never showed on his check.  Employee kept asking what was going on, GM said he'd look into it, a month later employee went to the higher ups, got the raise, then was let go to "pursue other options".
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26:47 AM »
I have to agree with some of the other comments.  There are lots of bad bosses/employers out there.  Don't waste your time or life trying to fight it.  Find another job.  If it is that bad, you can at least make sure your coworkers know why you are quitting. 

IMO, I think it is highly likely that your boss' boss and others know exactly what he is doing and tolerate it.  Hell, my company has done employee surveys.  The most recent one had results that weren't too good in some areas.  I really don't expect any changes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
I've seen animals like this one before, multiple times.  Reality is management is well aware of what he is and what he is doing.  Further reality is he is doing it because his management is happy with his actions.  People like your boss maintain their position because of the good pleasure of his boss.  The only time such life forms lose their positions is when they cost their management money.  Period.  Full stop.  Money loss can take any number of forms but the common denominator is for his management to go to the hip and peel off greenbacks as a direct consequence of his actions.  Logging incidents is helpful to establish a pattern of behavior and to prove to yourselves that you are not just having a bad day.  But going through HR is a waste of time.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »

Human (adjective, describing a type, kind, or class)

Resources (noun, denoting an object, asset, or thing)

The mission of Human Resources is to manage the company's semi-autonomous, verbally programmable, sentient, humanoid resource pool, and to keep the legally required paperwork in order, so as to protect management and the owners from government  interference.  Also to enforce compliance with company policy regarding performance, workload, scheduling, basic security, and so on, while ensuring that company policy does not conflict with relevant legal guidelines.

Notice that there is nothing in that description that speaks to the old, now obsolete, notion of "people" or "personnel."

Said differently, HR works for the owners & management, not the employees, no matter what other (non-binding) statements may have been made.

Calibrate accordingly.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon