Author Topic: 12-Year-Old Suspended from School for Playing with Airsoft Guns in Private Yard  (Read 9286 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
We had a kid local screw up shooting airsoft through a tube in school. He caught charges that stuck. Through the complete rNge of appeal options

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
well, no, not really.

The school doesn't have jurisdiction here. Local law enforcement does.
My thought exactly.

Plus, the statement said "other" people asserted the kid was shooting pellets at them . . . WHO are these other people, and was there any sort of hearing? One of the fundamental tenets of American justice is that a person has the right to face their accuser - DID THIS HAPPEN?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
My thought exactly.

Plus, the statement said "other" people asserted the kid was shooting pellets at them . . . WHO are these other people, and was there any sort of hearing? One of the fundamental tenets of American justice is that a person has the right to face their accuser - DID THIS HAPPEN?

Rofl
So far its an internal school deal. Kids smart he'll keep it like that. If he did get stupid and shoot at kids on way to bus stop he wants to keep it outa court

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
So I know next to nothing about airsoft, but I always thought they fired these relatively soft plastic pellets.  I am clearly wrong.

They fire plastic BBs but those can sting.  Players should wear masks -- or atleast eye protection.  I would NOT want to be hit in the eye with one of those plastic BBs.
I am not aware of them using metal BBs but if they do I would say it would be improper to shoot at another human, or animal, with metal BBs.  I wonder how the mechanism of the gun would stand up to the use of metal BBs.   Dunno.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Re: Re: 12-Year-Old Suspended from School for Playing with Airsoft Guns in P
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
Rofl
So far its an internal school deal. Kids smart he'll keep it like that. If he did get stupid and shoot at kids on way to bus stop he wants to keep it outa court

damn phone

Dumb school, to allow this to go down as such.

So, kid deliberatly injures people, gets a slap on the wrist by the school, instead of having the fear of god put into him by local LEOs and as a result, learns that he can hurt people and not get in real trouble for it?

I dislike ruining a kids life for average kid stupid actions, but I also dislike kids learning that stupid actions are ok because they are completly isolated and protected from the reality of the situation.

(and yes, airsoft pellets *expletive deleted*ing hurt)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends

So, kid deliberatly injures people, gets a slap on the wrist by the school, instead of having the fear of god put into him by local LEOs and as a result, learns that he can hurt people and not get in real trouble for it?

I dislike ruining a kids life for average kid stupid actions, but I also dislike kids learning that stupid actions are ok because they are completly isolated and protected from the reality of the situation.

(and yes, airsoft pellets *expletive deleted* hurt)

Happens a lot. In early 80's I knew a moron who started a fire in a dorm. School threw him out and assumed fire marshal would prosecute. Fire marshal assumed school was punishing him. End result? He skated

Not too late for this kid to get charged

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

freakazoid

• friend
They fire plastic BBs but those can sting.  Players should wear masks -- or atleast eye protection.  I would NOT want to be hit in the eye with one of those plastic BBs.
I am not aware of them using metal BBs but if they do I would say it would be improper to shoot at another human, or animal, with metal BBs.  I wonder how the mechanism of the gun would stand up to the use of metal BBs.   Dunno.   

Technically they are not BBs, and metal ones do exist but they are pretty rare. But that wouldn't matter because they go by weight, there is a standard size with a few different weight options.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
Re: Re: Re: 12-Year-Old Suspended from School for Playing with Airsoft Guns in P
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »

(and yes, airsoft pellets *expletive deleted* hurt)

The (NY Daily News, not Guns 'N Freedom) article said he was getting a one year suspension from school that was voted to be held in abeyance if he were to attend the district's "Alternative Education Program".  For shooting projectiles at folks not involved with the game that sounds more like they are trying to give him a chance and some tools to shape up before he goes full retard.

We just recently let Korea jail an adult Service Member for shooting people with BB's.

T.O.M.

• friend
Technically they are not BBs, and metal ones do exist but they are pretty rare. But that wouldn't matter because they go by weight, there is a standard size with a few different weight options.

Are the metal ones rare?  I bought a springer pistol to use with a Holloween costume, and it came with a packmof plastic qnd a pack of metal.  I had no idea this was unusual...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

• friends
So to recap he wasn't suspended
 He wasn't just playing in the yard
 and actually he's lucky he didn't get real charges
 Funny how a story evolves

damn phone

dogmush

• friend
So to recap he wasn't suspended
 He wasn't just playing in the yard
 and actually he's lucky he didn't get real charges
 Funny how a story evolves

damn phone

Nitpick:  Was suspended.  Was offered an out to continue in public schools.  Is unclear if he took the out.

HankB

• friend
If he was shooting plastic BBs at other people who were not part of the game, he ought to have consequences . . . still not convinced that it's the school that ought to administer the consequences. Schools should not take the place of law enforcement, nor should their jurisdiction extend beyond actual school grounds or, in a limited way, off-campus organized & sanctioned school events such as interschool football cames, school field trips, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
If he was shooting plastic BBs at other people who were not part of the game, he ought to have consequences . . . still not convinced that it's the school that ought to administer the consequences. Schools should not take the place of law enforcement, nor should their jurisdiction extend beyond actual school grounds or, in a limited way, off-campus organized & sanctioned school events such as interschool football cames, school field trips, etc.

I agree with this statement.  That said, some dirtbag lawyers have been suing school districts for the actions of students at bus stops, on the walk home from school, etc., and have been getting judgments.  If we as a society are going to hold the schools responsible for the misdeeds of students during these times, we can't turn around and fault the schools for taking action when those misdeeds occur.  Another crappy side-effect of an overly litigious culture.  if you get hurt, someone owes you money, so sue everyone possible and collect as much as possible.   [barf]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I agree with this statement.  That said, some dirtbag lawyers have been suing school districts for the actions of students at bus stops, on the walk home from school, etc., and have been getting judgments.  If we as a society are going to hold the schools responsible for the misdeeds of students during these times, we can't turn around and fault the schools for taking action when those misdeeds occur.  Another crappy side-effect of an overly litigious culture.  if you get hurt, someone owes you money, so sue everyone possible and collect as much as possible.   [barf]

Now I was unaware of that, and for the life of me, I can't remember reading of any local cases on this cause of action in our case reporters.  If the school district can be held liable, then I agree with their obligation to take action.  Failure to do so is just going to increase costs to the taxpayers as the district pays for judgments and legal costs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Millcreek, just had lunch with a friend who is a civil attorney.  He said the suits he knows of were for issues at bus stops, not on walks home.  He said his understanding was that liability was predicated on the theory that if the schools are going to require the children to be there, then the schools are liable for issues that happen there.  He seems to recall it being a fight with one kid hurt.  I'll see if I can find any citations or links for you when court is done.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
^^^ I did a quick Lexis/Nexis search here in Washington and did not initially spot anything on point.  However, we have approximately three jillion appellate cases containing the phrase 'school bus stop', and all of them look to have to do with sentence enhancements for selling drugs within 1000 ft. of said school bus stop.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Quick research on my end shows that there have been several suits filed in different jurisdictions, all of which appear to be student on student fights/assaults in which parents sue the school for lack of supervision/security, etc.  That said, they all appear to be pending.  No judgments yet.  Shows what I get for trusting someone lecturing a bunch of court officers claiming to be an expert, and his curriculum vitae had misspellings on it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

freakazoid

• friend
Are the metal ones rare?  I bought a springer pistol to use with a Holloween costume, and it came with a packmof plastic qnd a pack of metal.  I had no idea this was unusual...

Yeah. You really don't ever see metal ones. Back when I was pretty into airsoft I never saw them, only read about that they existed.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic