Author Topic: Syria- The Great Big Syrian Civil War thread.  (Read 74866 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Syria- The Great Big Syrian Civil War thread.
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
Whoa!
Fitz and Az agree on something???  ???

:rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
Ha, I just saw a headline that, "Kerry comment undermines Obama" and I thought it was this one about an "unbelievably small" response:

http://michellemalkin.com/2013/09/09/john-kerry-on-proposed-syria-attack-itll-be-unbelievably-small/

But instead it was this one:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/09/kerry-comment-could-undermine-obama-push-for-syria-strike/

It's almost like a sitcom at this point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
Keystone Kops, meet the Doofus Diplomats.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Charlie Rose's interview with Syrian President Bashar Assad is on right now.  I watched about 10 or 15 minutes of it and had to leave before I shot the teevee.

There are *no* good guys here; the Syrian government and the rebels obviously, but also Obama & Co. for wanting to interfere unilaterally, and the U.N. for not doing anything.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »
The Middle East has been unsettled for centuries. Back nearly 800 years ago when the Tatar armies were approaching, the terrified Saracens sent an embassy to Britain (!) requesting aid against the invaders. Peter des Roches, an English bishop*, figured that interference would be both costly and futile, so he counseled the king: "Let the dogs devour one another and perish . . . "

He thought that Christendom could then move in and sweep up the remnants . . . didn't quite work out that way, but he was probably correct in that military intervention on behalf of the Saracens wouldn't have done much good for Britain either. Maybe our current leader community organizer should study history.

* - bishops back then were overtly involved in both military and political matters.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:06 AM »
Kerry's 'unbelievably small attack' remark brought to mind only this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBUl7oT9sA

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »
* - bishops back then were overtly involved in both military and political matters.

Bishops were (and are) learned men and at the time were trusted advisors.

(And, to further go off on a tangent, Chrome thinks "Advisor" is a misspelling.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »
Bishops were (and are) learned men and at the time were trusted advisors.
And at the time, among the VERY few learned men. Much more so than even a good portion of the nobility at many points. The church then (even more so than it seems now) above perhaps your average parish priest or monk, was very much about politics.

Oh and what seems to be the latest-
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/10/war-averted-syria-apparently-accepts-russias-proposal-to-turn-over-chemical-weapons/

Funny how fast that plan came together, innit?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »
Does Obama send Putin a thank you card?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »
And at the time, among the VERY few learned men. Much more so than even a good portion of the nobility at many points. The church then (even more so than it seems now) above perhaps your average parish priest or monk, was very much about politics.

Indeed, religion was some way behind politics, gaining power and making money to most of the upper Church hierarchy during the Middle Ages - as the likes of of Wycliffe, Huss and Luther pointed out.  
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »
Does Obama send Putin a thank you card?
If that what you wanna call it  :laugh:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »
Funny how fast that plan came together, innit?
Giving O and P the benefit the doubt here...

What if they were playing "good cop and bad cop" with Syria with O being the "bad cop".  Think about it, we already have a history of going into countries and breaking their stuff, so Assad had to know there was at least some chance of it happening again.  That was the stick.  Russia, after starting off with a strong objection, the slowly softening, comes up with a plan that gets rid of the weapons, but keeps Assad from being attacked.  At that point, it has to seem like a great idea.

Do you think Assad would have agreed to the Russian initiative at the start of all this?  I don't.  A risky ploy, but if intentional, it worked quite well.

If not intentional, well, we got lucky.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
If not intentional, well, we got lucky.

I'm putin my money on lucky  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
I'm putin my money on lucky  ;)

This. Obama and Kerry being smart and adroit enough to concoct this scheme pegs my incredulity meter way past the red line...

If they were, they wouldn't have stepped into this box in the first place.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
This. Obama and Kerry being smart and adroit enough to concoct this scheme pegs my incredulity meter way past the red line...

If they were, they wouldn't have stepped into this box in the first place.

Yeah, if it was orchestrated as good cop bad cop, Obama would have to have waffled WAY less. Bad cop to me would be us saying "We're gonna von Clausewitz your ass", with Putin coming in with a moderate proposal. Instead, we kept emphasizing how little we would do or maybe even not do, we'll have to discuss it to make sure we're inclusive and address everyone's needs, which actually to me, made Putin's option actually look more like the tough guy bad cop.

Of course I was just perusing MSNBC and  the comments there point out that this was a "masterpiece maneuver" by Obama.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2013, 12:22:58 PM »
Maybe what we just witnessed is what 100 years ago was called a minstrel show
"It's good, though..."

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »
Smart Power: In Stark Reversal, Obama Embraces Putin Plan...Which Putin Promptly Rejects[/u]

I can't say I envy Obama's speechwriters.  First, they were instructed to draw up a "case for war" speech.  Then that got scrapped, in favor of a "diplomatic breakthrough" face-saving address, replete with empty tough-guy language.  Now what?  Obama's Syria policy is changing by the hour.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/09/10/smart-power-obama-pulls-syria-180-fully-embraces-putin-solution-n1696295

I can't say if this is true or not but if it is we sure do live in interesting times ...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:23:03 PM by Chester32141 »
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »
Smart Power: In Stark Reversal, Obama Embraces Putin Plan...Which Putin Promptly Rejects[/u]

I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

brimic

• friends
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2013/09/10/smart-power-obama-pulls-syria-180-fully-embraces-putin-solution-n1696295

I can't say if this is true or not but if it is we sure do live in interesting times ...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did anyone besides Kerry and Obama actually think that they had a deal with Putin?
Obama is playing checkers strategy against a chess master.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »

Did anyone besides Kerry and Obama actually think that they had a deal with Putin?
Obama is playing checkers strategy against a chess master.

Chess, perhaps being symbolic of western imperialism, must not have been included on the community organizer curriculum track...

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »

Obama is playing checkers dominoes strategy against a chess master.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
Well tonight's speech should be "interesting".    I wouldn't be surprised to see this from Obama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »
Y'know, Kerry was right.

This IS an unbelievably small response.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »
Stephen Green's drunkblog of the speech.  Just start at the bottom and scroll UP:
http://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2013/09/10/drunkblogging-tsyria/

He stumbled on the word “unshakable.”

If you were looking for the telling detail, there you go.

The blameshifting didn’t occur until the eight minute mark, so I lost a bet.

But BOOOOOOOOOSH.

You hate Syria because of BOOOOOOSH!

I ended wars and now you won’t let me start one.

BOOOOOOOOSH.

I’m physically ill.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton