Author Topic: What else can the -administration- screw up?  (Read 2004 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
What else can the -administration- screw up?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:38:16 AM »
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/21/inside-the-beltway-97423759/
SWORDLESS SAILORS

Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.

Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this year's graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.

Yes, cell phones and texting are still allowed.

No ceremonial swords?  I guess next they'll be requiring all the pins on medals to be blunted in his presence.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:44:34 PM by JamisJockey »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:13:24 AM »
Yeah, no.  Dear Leader isn't sitting in the Oval Office deciding what items people can and cannot bring to see him.  That is the doing of the SS or his handlers.  This pig isn't flying.

Edit:
Tell you what.  After some reconsideration, I edited your thread title and am reopening it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:46:29 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: What else can the -administration- screw up?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »
http://www.militarysabers.com/navy-officer-sword-package.html

$440 + s/h to kit yourself out for graduation and possibly one more occassion in your entire career (unless you had volunteered for the Mens Department), and pointy objects are barred.  Not that the Annointed One was going to be within pointy-end reach as the midshipmen stepped up to receive their diplomas.

Of course we all know about the radioactive pellets in the tips of umbrellas  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1534697/Spy-drama-recalls-umbrella-poisoning.html so banning them is at least based on some reasonable precaution [/sarcastic cackling laughter].

Strangely, there are good reasons for the Secret Service to be extremely concerned about the potential of threats to the health/safety/life of the current POTUS.  There are a growing number of folks who are significantly upset at his performance to date, but cannot see the potential of everybody else in the line of sucession being even worse choices.

Still and all, I am thinking that the banning of swords was just a bit too much.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
Seems like we need more information here. If this is a decision of the current administration (or its handlers or whatever) and it's never been done before, there's probably cause for grumbling. But has it ever been done before, and are swords an option or a requirement for the uniform at an event like this?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
Seems like we need more information here. If this is a decision of the current administration (or its handlers or whatever) and it's never been done before, there's probably cause for grumbling. But has it ever been done before, and are swords an option or a requirement for the uniform at an event like this?

I was at a National Jamboree when GHWB was president, and the Scouts (and adult leaders) were were still carrying various sharp objects when he attended and gave a speech.  The SS apparently figured that dozens of armed bodyguards and at least two sniper/spotter pairs would be enough to deal with some knives.

As I understand it, the sword is an official part of the uniform, and is about as combat-useful as a piece of quarter inch rebar.  (I doubt there's any prohibition on sharpening it, but getting the even mirror shine back afterward is a lot of extra work for a decorative piece.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:45:34 AM by KD5NRH »

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »
Obama knows the military (overall) is not enamored with him even though they applaud and so forth when they are supposed to.  Obama's Chicago experience rears its ugly head and it will continue to.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
Yeah, since the dear leader has time to just sit there and decide every detail of every event he goes to.  ;/ This is the doing of his liberal handlers and staff.  Place blame where its due.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
He's probably concerned about some of those dangerous, military-vet, right-wing extremists showing up....they're more dangerous to Amerika than all the Tally-ban....  :rolleyes:

....oh, wait....THAT'S ME....  :O
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »
Who ever made that decision is clueless dolt. Outright slap in the face to the graduates of the Academy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams