Author Topic: What do you look for in a Supreme Court justice?  (Read 2125 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
What do you look for in a Supreme Court justice?
« on: May 25, 2009, 12:56:43 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090524/ap_on_go_su_co/us_obama_supreme_court

"You have to have not only the intellect to be able to effectively apply the law to cases before you," Obama said in an interview carried Saturday on C-SPAN television. "But you have to be able to stand in somebody else's shoes and see through their eyes and get a sense of how the law might work or not work in practical day-to-day living."

Obama also has said he wants someone who employs empathy, "understanding and identifying with people's hopes and struggles," when arriving at decisions that could influence the nation for decades.

Empathy, of course.

Sounds like a real easy way to shovel more dirt on the "protect criminals/disarm lawful citizens" pile.

I always thought judges were supposed to keep their personal emotions out of cases and base their decisions on their interpretation of law.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: What do you look for in a Supreme Court justice?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:13:21 AM »
Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, what will we do with you?  Pleeeeease try to remember that it is OK for leftists to impose their moral views on others through government.  Also remember that the "practical" effects of a legal decision are code language for the ends justifying the means, and that is also OK when leftists do it.  And that goes at least as far back as Thurgood Marshall and Justice Brandeis before him. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:15:10 AM »
To answer your question with a very short answer...

"Nobody he wants in there."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
I agree. Just one more way of saying he wants them to do what he wants, not just what the law says. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
Definitely not someone like Jennifer Granholm (Michigan Governor) who is said to be one of the people on his list of potentials. :|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:05:42 PM »
Lets resurrect some of the SCOTUS justices that stuck down Lincoln's income tax.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
I always thought judges were supposed to keep their personal emotions out of cases and base their decisions on their interpretation of law.

That was then. This is now, when the law means whatever leftist extremists want it to mean.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
I'm just impressed that Obama actually had the courage to condone "judicial activism" instead of skirting the issue.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »
Well, I don't look for a tribalist, but that's what we are going to get.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.