Author Topic: Dead Terrorists Don't Pose Legal Quandaries  (Read 6457 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Dead Terrorists Don't Pose Legal Quandaries
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
The few kept alive for their intelligence value should have been interrogated secretly, then executed.

The only line worth reading in that whole article.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 04:02:23 AM »
Also, what does a victory in A-stan look like?  I suspect is has little to do with actual Afghans and a lot to do with killing all or most of the AQ & Taliban in A-stan & Pakistan, calling that "good enough," and then un-assing the AO.

Good enough for me.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 06:01:15 AM »
WE made one great mistake regarding The Maze: No terrorist should have made it that far. All but a handful of those grotesquely romanticized prisoners should have been killed on the streets of Northern Ireland.

The few kept alive for their intelligence value should have been interrogated secretly, then executed.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
Let's see, I think the author forgot about that one legal quandry that is the most likely to result in being punished by death: murder.

That's what it's called when you shoot captives or otherwise disarmed people, even in a war.

I see this myth that non-uniformed combatants, terrorists, pirates, etc., may be shot on sight.  In no English legal tradition has that ever been legal.  I defy anyone who espouses this view to provide even a single example of such a practice being accepted at law.

Piracy law was much the same as the law of irregulars and non-uniforms: people who engage in it are subject to criminal punishment, whereas uniformed Navy and Army may not be punished, even where they engage in exactly the same conduct as the non-uniformed.

That has always been the general rule.  So spies and terrorists, if caught, were tried by either court martial or in the civil courts and executed if they were convicted of the crime.   People who did the same fighting in uniform were held in camps and released when the war was over.

Iain, it's nearly impossible to notice the effect that being Caucasian in appearance and english speaking has on the way the "international community" evaluates how terrorists should be treated.  I've never heard of anyone in America calling for summary executions of the Irish-Americans, including congressmen, who gave money and aid to terrorism in Northern Ireland. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:17 AM »
I didn't read the article, but should have. 
The writer is calling for US troops or intelligence agents to engage in illegal activity.  This one's done.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”