Author Topic: Double standards within double standards.  (Read 3793 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Double standards within double standards.
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
If you've not yet encountered the new outrage about Mike Pence, then beware - it's beyond stupid.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/30/dont-mock-mike-pence-for-protecting-his-marriage-commend-him/

The Left is having the usual out-of-mind experience. They're saying, among other silly things, that this means he must not be able to work with female colleagues, or must have uncontrollable urges, or that his self-imposed rules are exactly like Muslims forcing Sharia law on people. All the usual wisdom. (And you'd think those first two would be easily confirmed by the evidence, if true.)

It's very amusing how Donald Trump must hate all women, since he "grabs them by the _____," and Mike Pence also hates women, because he won't even put himself in a position to do such. I think what really bothers them is that they want every social conservative to be a closet lech. How dare Mike Pence try to live up to his own ideals!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Double standards within double standards.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »
D'ja ever get the feeling you're watching a people-of-Walmart video?

'Cept it's the whole country.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
If a conservative man takes perfectly reasonable steps to remain faithful to his wife and even avoid the appearance of possible infidelity, it's because he hates women and secretly desires sharia law.

The article nailed it on the head. The Left wants all conservative men to be closet leches so they can call them out as hypocrites and monsters. When one takes steps specifically to avoid lechery, or even the appearance of possible lechery, they've already decided he's a hypocrite and a monster, so they just have to reverse the reasons. He's a lech? Misogynist! He denies women his lechery? Misogynist!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
I'm just wondering if his daughters get offended by his "no meals with women other than the wife" policy.

Great excuse on Mother's Day, though.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
he won’t attend events featuring alcohol without her by his side, either

That's a little weird to me, but to each their own. More beer for the rest of us  =)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
D'ja ever get the feeling you're watching a people-of-Walmart video?

'Cept it's the whole country.

D'ja ever think you'd find anything that makes people of Walmart look like geniuses?

Anyway, is Mike Pence a monster for not dining privately with women who are not his wife? What about not boozing it up at parties unless his wife is around?

Not only is he not a monster, he sounds like he’s a smart man who understands that infidelity is something that threatens every marriage and must be guarded against.

Sounds to me like he's an intelligent man who follows the news and who understands that anyone who is anyone is at substantial risk of being accused of sexual assault (or at least harassment) if he even rides an elevator with a lone woman for one story. And the accuser will more than likely be a liberal feminist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »
That's a little weird to me, but to each their own. More beer for the rest of us  =)

Depends; I know recovering alcoholics who won't go to activities with alcohol unless they have a trusted friend along.  He's just narrowed it to one trusted friend.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
I think the Reverend Billy Graham had a similar policy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:48:20 PM »
After eight years of bad toucher Biden they are really reaching
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »
With the Left, they have no standards for themselves.   They live in the world of situational ethics, moral equivalence and cultural relativism.  It's hard for them to cope with folks who not only have high standards but have standards of any kind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
More:

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/03/30/doh-mother-jones-editor-tries-to-connect-dots-on-mike-pences-philosophy-steps-on-rake-instead/

As much as social conservatives are picked apart for any (real or imagined) hypocrisy in our ranks, you would not be blamed for thinking the media/Left would congratulate someone for trying to avoid temptation. But you would be pretty naive.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
D'ja ever think you'd find anything that makes people of Walmart look like geniuses?

Sounds to me like he's an intelligent man who follows the news and who understands that anyone who is anyone is at substantial risk of being accused of sexual assault (or at least harassment) if he even rides an elevator with a lone woman for one story. And the accuser will more than likely be a liberal feminist.

That's my take away.
While I'm not someone likely to get in a position of getting political mud flung at me I generally try to avoid situations where I am with women other than my wife without an unbiased witness. There are a couple of women co-workers that I prefer to have 2 witnesses and I'll run a voice recorder.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »
I long ago stopped picking up female hitchhikers for just this reason. (And, more recently, I've stopped picking up any hitchhikers, for mostly the same reason.) If there's someone broken down at the side of the road, these days rather than stop I'll just call 9-1-1 and report a motorist needs assistance. Between the chances of being carjacked and the chances of being accused of sexual (or other) assault, it's just not a good idea to be a good Samaritan these days. (Sadly)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »
Depends; I know recovering alcoholics who won't go to activities with alcohol unless they have a trusted friend along.  He's just narrowed it to one trusted friend.
One comment I heard is the wife or friend can help watch for people trying to slip something in the drink as well as preventing setups.  Considering what we have seen in the media and politics over the last year, there is very little some of them wouldn't do if they might gain from it.  I heard it commented that most people don't realize there are political groupies running around. 

But it might just be avoiding any chance of perceived misbehavior.  The media often blow minor things way out of proportion and Republican voters often fail to look closely at what the media claims.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31:21 PM »
http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/03/30/game-set-match-these-two-tweets-should-shut-liberalsjournos-up-for-good-on-mike-pences-marriage/?utm_content=bufferd91e8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Kayla @VixenRogue

Clintons = Timeless love story
Weiners = Proof love conquers all
Pences = Sick depraved weirdos

Dana Loesch

@DLoesch

Regarding Pence and his wife, his critics are used to the Oral Office, not Oval office, so a stand-up husband shocks them.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
"... ye shall avoid even the appearance of evil..."

Didn't bother looking it up, but that sounds like Paul.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
I know recovering alcoholics who won't go to activities with alcohol unless they have a trusted friend along.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense for an alcoholic but to my knowledge Pence is not one. If one of my (non alcoholic) friends decided to voluntarily install an ignition interlock device on his car I would find that a little weird too. Not saying it's a bad thing and I wouldn't go on twitter to mock him, just saying it's a little weird.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
There can be no impropriety, if there isn't even the appearance of impropriety... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
Yeah, that makes perfect sense for an alcoholic but to my knowledge Pence is not one. If one of my (non alcoholic) friends decided to voluntarily install an ignition interlock device on his car I would find that a little weird too. Not saying it's a bad thing and I wouldn't go on twitter to mock him, just saying it's a little weird.
I'm not an alcoholic but I choose not to drink at all.  Pence choosing not to drink in public when his wife isn't around is more along the lines of abstaining from alcohol than installing an interlock.

My impression is that Pence is a man who values, trusts and respects his wife and family, and is principled enough to not let others' opinions of what should be normal impact his decision making.  That some would find those qualities to be weird is a sad commentary on where we are today.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
I'm not an alcoholic but I choose not to drink at all.
Good for you.
Pence choosing not to drink in public when his wife isn't around is more along the lines of abstaining from alcohol than installing an interlock.
That is not what he's doing, or supposedly doing according to this one line in an article. "he won’t attend events featuring alcohol without her by his side". That's different than going and not drinking.
My impression is that Pence is a man who values, trusts and respects his wife and family, and is principled..
I agree
That some would find those qualities to be weird is a sad commentary on where we are today.
I don't find those qualities weird...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
To be honest, I don't think most Americans find it weird.  There might be some young people who find it odd largely because no one ever talks about actually controlling their behavior anymore. 

What is really happening here is :Democrats/Liberals Good!  Republicans/Conservatives Bad!

That is really all it is.  If Tim Kane said the same thing, these same people would be bragging about how great it was. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 12:04:47 PM »

Or he could be like me; I've never had a problem having one or two drinks and calling it a night.  The problem comes somewhere after the fourth when logic starts to break down just a little and I start thinking I can just get drunk enough that all my problems will go away before I sober up.  It tends to snowball from there until all the alcohol (or money if I'm in a bar) is gone, and then I end up barfing all over a nurse who's trying to keep me from dying of alcohol poisoning.

Thus, I tend to avoid the temptation unless I have someone around that understands the issue and that I trust to keep me reined in.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
I don't think most Americans find it weird.

That may be true, I can only speak for what I find weird so I could be the odd one. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the phrase "featuring alcohol" but I'm assuming we're not just talking about bachelor's parties and stuff where things often get out of control.

A simple guy's night out, going to a baseball game, a brewery tour, 9 holes of golf after work, weddings, camping, heck even Friday night fish fry and high school graduation parties - at least in my neck of the woods these all feature alcohol in varying amounts. Many people do them without drinking and that's fine (not even weird), but again that's different than avoiding them entirely unless the buddy system is in place. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 01:16:45 PM »
We also have to remember this quote is 15 years old
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG