Author Topic: Coffee, Wine, Beer or Water?  (Read 2072 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Coffee, Wine, Beer or Water?
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:46:14 AM »
So. I attended the last follow-up to an "annual" physical yesterday, this one with an ear, nose, throat doc, and I learned something that I was only vaguely aware of before. My complaint was sinusitus that won't go away. His diagnosis? Dehydration.

The doc told me that adults of typical size need eight 12-ounce glasses of water a day. Add to that, one glass for every glass of wine, coffee, or beer you consume that day to counteract their dehydrating effect. I was stunned.

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to drink three or four cups of coffee during a day, then four or five beers in the evening. So I should drink 16 glasses of water that day? I don't think I could hold that much. And haven't I heard of something called water poisoning? How's that work?  Waddya think?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:55:27 AM »
Didn't your corpsman tell you to stay hydrated?

You drink diuretics all day, heck yeah you'll be dehydrated.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »
If you're not thirsty, you're probably not dehydrated.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:09:37 AM »
I've gotten to where I most exclusively drink water.
I love tea, but got sick of my mouth feeling like a carpet after a few glasses (sweet tea!)
I also stopped drinking sodas (though I do enjoy them occasionally, such as this A&W Root Beer, ftw!) because they gave me bad heartburn.
I also drink a lot of it, always have been a heavy drinker, gotta have something to sip on every second I'm at home.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:19:29 AM »
"Water Poisoning", also called "Water Intoxication" or "Electrolyte Imbalance" is a potentially fatal condition wherein your body has WAY too much water in it, and WAY too little sodium, potassium, etc.

As far as I've ever read of it, this usually only happens to people who're doing grueling physical labor and are drinking lots of water, and to folk whacked up on Xtasy and too dense to drink not-water.

Here's an example:

When you're hot and exerting yourself, your body loses electrolytes through your sweat (which is why your sweat tastes salty) along with water. In the normal course of the day, drinking water to keep yourself from drying out would be fine, as the salts and other electrolytes in your food would keep you squared away. However, if you're doing just TONS of sweating (e.g., in a bike race, playing football in The Swamp in August, raving like a champion in a club what puts a gas-fired oven to shame), your body can severely deplete its supply of electrolytes, leading to a whole host of problems (hence, the invention of products like Gator-/Power- ade, etc.) if you don't replace them. If you continue to not-replace your electrolytes at a rate fast enough to offset their loss, and continue to take in water, eventually you'll have an electrolyte imbalance significant enough to have severe consequences.

A severe electrolyte imbalance is often accompanied by a SEVERE headache, which can be followed by unconsciousness, coma, and death.

Bear in mind I'm trying to remember all this from a forum thread on a cross-country bike-riding/racing forum, but let me just put your mind at ease:

You would have to drink an absolutely stupendous amount of water (and be losing electrolytes at a pretty good clip) in order to hurt yourself via electrolyte imbalance. If you're still worried about it, drink the water like your doctor says, and just have some gatorade a couple times a day, possibly to the exclusion of a cup of coffee or a beer, depending on the time. And remember to keep yourself in water and 'lectrolytes when you're workin' hard.

Hope I helped,
~GnSx

EDIT: mbs357, I totally know what you mean with the "heavy drinker" bit. If I'm not nursing (read: inhaling) a diet coke or a bottle of water or a glass of this that or the other, i'm on my way to get one. I always feel thirsty, and if I'm not drinking, I have the urge to.. uh.. be doing something with my mouth anyway (thus, my chewed up fingernails, chewing matchsticks, going through gum at a prodigious rate, etc.).

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:28:19 AM »
It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to drink three or four cups of coffee during a day, then four or five beers in the evening. So I should drink 16 glasses of water that day? I don't think I could hold that much.
Well, stop drinking coffee and beer. Then you've only got eight glasses. I drink 6 .5 liter bottles of water throughout the day. Have one bottle with each meal, then a bottle inbetween. Just finish that last one a few hours before bed unless you like waking in the middle of the night. :p
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
More like, by the time you are thirsty you are already at least slightly dehydrated.

Want I should post a urine-color chart? Cheesy

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »
Man, you guys are fun!

So it's the caffeine in coffee/tea, and the alcohol in beer/wine that actually causes the dehydration?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:48:37 AM »
Quote from: Leatherneck
Man, you guys are fun!

So it's the caffeine in coffee/tea, and the alcohol in beer/wine that actually causes the dehydration?

TC
They speed up water loss, why do you think you have to pee so much after several cups of coffe or pints of beer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:42:45 AM »
According to an FAA aviation medical bulletin I received earlier this year caffeine is not a diuretic.  The study they referenced showed that caffeinated beverages can still be used to increase one's hydration.  Water works best, but sodas and tea and coffee will work, too.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 09:47:48 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
Quote from: The Rabbi
More like, by the time you are thirsty you are already at least slightly dehydrated.

Want I should post a urine-color chart? Cheesy
Ooo ooo!  Do it!  Post the pee chart! grin
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
According to an FAA aviation medical bulletin I received earlier this year caffeine is not a diuretic.
My excretory system begs to differ.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:38:41 AM »
That's because it's stubborn, fistful, and refuses to change with the world and admit new truths... just like everything else about you, you stubborn right wing fundamentalist evil man JESUS LOVER.

PS.

basically, the more hydrated you are the better your body will feel and the better you'll operate. My philosophy is, if you don't have to pee you should drink something until you do.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 11:17:33 AM »
Coffee, tea, & such may not be as diuretic as once thought, but they still do have that effect.  The net effect is positive hydration.  Toss in a load of sugar (in the form of pop or several spoonfuls in your tea/coffee), and your body will use even more water up to digest the sugar.

Beer & other alcohols deplete the water pretty severely.  Alochol must be digested & uses up water, as do the carbohydrates in the beer.

FWIW, I never drink alcohol without chasing it with a big glass of water.  I don't like hangovers (dehydration + Vitamin B depletion+ other stuff) and keeping water in your system helps fend them off.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 11:20:48 AM »
Urine color chart:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~heal103/docs/Am%20I%20Hydrated%20-%20Urine%20Color%20Chart.pdf

Everyone needs to print it out on a color printer and take it with them to the public bathroom at their work. Make sure you have an audience before comparing.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 11:24:08 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
According to an FAA aviation medical bulletin I received earlier this year caffeine is not a diuretic.  The study they referenced showed that caffeinated beverages can still be used to increase one's hydration.  Water works best, but sodas and tea and coffee will work, too.
That's basically what I've been led to believe. Green tea is the preferred source of fluids first thing in the morning, often cup after cup after cup.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »
The problem with that urine color chart is that it does not specify the bore and composition of the tube use to hold the urine while looking the color, nor whether the light should be indirect or direct.  Is the sample to be evaluated taken from the first issue of the stream?  A mid-stream catch?  The tail end?  : neener :
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 06:13:42 PM »
If I drank 6 .5 liters of water I'd never come out of the pisser.

I noticed that I can drink 1 each 8 ounce glass of water and have to take a leak 3 times in 30 minutes.  I swear it goes out faster than it goes in.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 06:40:07 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
The problem with that urine color chart is that it does not specify the bore and composition of the tube use to hold the urine while looking the color, nor whether the light should be indirect or direct.  Is the sample to be evaluated taken from the first issue of the stream?  A mid-stream catch?  The tail end?  : neener :
It's not very exact, but if it looks like old laquer then you know you'd better up your intake a bit.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 02:47:31 AM »
Fly 320s wrote:
"According to an FAA aviation medical bulletin I received earlier this year caffeine is not a diuretic.  The study they referenced showed that caffeinated beverages can still be used to increase one's hydration.  Water works best, but sodas and tea and coffee will work, too."

That confirms what my intuition tells me. I just don't see how a cup of coffee that is flavored water with drugs in it can require another equal glass of water to offset its effects. I would believe it if you said that the net effect of a cup of coffee is neutral.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 03:17:09 AM »
What wingnutx said. The yellower your urine the more dehydrated you are.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 05:31:11 AM »
I got the same lecture.  Didn't believe it.  After all I know much more than a trained doc rolleyes  Long story short I had some medical issues and after getting fixed up I went into a fairly vigorous exercise program.  Inadvertently I started drinking more water, not because I wanted to but because I was thirsty.  Well, after a while I noticed my snoot wasn't as stuffy as it had been.  I also noticed my skin wasn't as dry as it had been.  In the past I suffered from dry skin in the winter to the point I'd scratch myself raw dealing with the itch.  Lotions were no help.  Well, after an entire lifetime of bad skin in the winter it suddenly disappeared at about the same time I started drinking more water.

After a whole list of coincidences I've reluctantly come to the conclusion my doc wasn't nearly as stoopid as I thought.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 06:44:45 AM »
Quote from: Leatherneck
 I just don't see how a cup of coffee that is flavored water with drugs in it can require another equal glass of water to offset its effects.
So you don't think drugs can affect the body?  If coffee can keep people awake, cause jitters and bring on urination and bowel movements, it's no stretch to believe it can dehydrate as well.  Flavored water, indeed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 07:02:03 AM »
the pee chart?

Anyone want to see something really fun?

Go to the drug store and buy some azo, not the cranberry suplament, just regular old AZO.

Don't read the box, don't ask the pharmacist.  Just buy it open it up and take two tablets.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 08:21:21 AM »
Quote from: lupinus
the pee chart?

Anyone want to see something really fun?

Go to the drug store and buy some azo, not the cranberry suplament, just regular old AZO.

Don't read the box, don't ask the pharmacist.  Just buy it open it up and take two tablets.
Is it as good as rifampicin? That turns every fluid that you can excrete a fun colour.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also