Author Topic: UN report predicts catastrophic consequences from Climate Change  (Read 2431 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: UN report predicts catastrophic consequences from Climate Change
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
Even here on the wet side of the Cascades in Washington, we have had some lean years in the summer regarding water. As Charby points out, the primary source is mountain snowpack, and the water flows through the rivers, reservoirs and hydro dams are heavily regulated for irrigation, power generation, the salmon runs and then drinking water.

All of us in the neighborhood have wells, and I have read how some of the surrounding areas have had wells run dry around late August, if we have not had much rain in the summer.  In some areas, new residential construction is prohibited because there is not enough subsurface water in the aquifers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: UN report predicts catastrophic consequences from Climate Change
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 01:39:18 AM »
Though I think drainage and soil type are significant factors. On the West side of the San Joaquin Valley, there is a lot of salinization. Here on the East side, not much of any, all with similar crops. In fact if anything, we have more flood irrigation going on for row crops and such. Lotsa trees on the West side, with drip irrigation, yet still they have large areas of salt buildup even with more "sustainable" irrigation. Likely the water chemistry on that side had an affect as well - I think it's pretty high in TDS.

You don't have mollisols or alfisols like we have in Iowa or other old tall grass prairie states.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536