Author Topic: Hold my beer and watch this: knife throwing edition  (Read 474 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Hold my beer and watch this: knife throwing edition
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
Not a knife, but the same principle applies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
True story, no BS:

Back in college a  guy from Lousiana (Hi, HeroHog) showed me how to throw a knife and I had the opportunity to practice a lot into an abandoned shooting backstop.  I got to be fairly good at it, and no, you do not need "balanced" knives.

No sh t, all true:

Anyhow, I was working on a roomate's car in the driveway and one of our friends came by and no, I did not initiate the question, but he said the roomate told him I knew how to throw a knife and I said yeah, I knew.  So the BS about "balanced knives" came  up and I told him it was easier, but not necessary, and it just made each throw the same, since they usually come in packs of three.

Honest to gawd and no exaggeration:

So I picked up a large screwdriver from my toolbox, hefted it a little to find the right place to hold it, and threw it at one of the picket fenceposts.  Maybe 25 feet away, and that's the only guesswork involved in this true story.

Whunk!  Dead center and it stuck there.

His eyes widened and he expletived loudly and of course he wanted to see me do it again, but I told him I didn't want to 'cause it was getting dark and I had to get my roomate's car running, but I did explain some of the principles involved, including estimating the distance to make the blade turn over just once, how to keep your hand rigid in the throw, and the estimation of the right point on the blade to make turn it over just that once in that distance, and how it ain't a perfect science anyhow.

I swearta gawd, I don't think I could do that again without a significant amount of help from a guy named Chance H. Appenstance, but there it was, that one time when it counted.

And I was just as surprised as my friend.

All true, no BS, no crap.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
There is a bar here that has axe throwing as a game for patrons
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:11 PM »
I did the ax throw behind a friends shop once. He was out there dicking around throwing the ax at a tree making it maybe 50% of the time and I wanted to give it a try. First ax throw EVER, CHUNK! Perfect throw and stick! No, I didn't "bother" to do it again as I had work to do. Never thrown one since either...
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!