Author Topic: Politics and Hurricanes  (Read 498 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Politics and Hurricanes
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
Even though "politics" is in the title, it's really not political.

I just found it interesting that Hurricane Mike is looking to be pretty darn severe. Normally this would have made the lead for at least the last week with evacuation  warnings, etc. It was only yesterday that I saw it move from a blurb way down the page up to the top.

It was just interesting to see that political and other news was, I guess, more important to ratings than talking about an impending hurricane.  We of course see this type of thing a lot - mass shootings suddenly sending other important news into the background, or unimportant stuff getting the front page when news is slow. You would think they would use better triage though, when it's something like a natural disaster.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Politics and Hurricanes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
Possibly related:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/10/10/too-late-to-evacuate-fl-gov-rick-scott-tells-residents-to-seek-refuge-immediately-but-fema-says-leave-now/

Had the hurricane been in the news earlier, I wonder if this confusion could have been avoided?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »
Living over here in tornado alley, I don't pay a lot of attention to hurricanes. That being said, I think it was supposed to be a Cat. 2, and no one was really worried about it. Until now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »
Part of the issue is that this storm formed and strengthened really quickly.

Last week it was a tropical depression/storm off of Mexico, with lots of upper level shear and not really expected to get real big.

Sunday it was clearly going to be a mid-sh level hurricane, but still with lots of shear, and moving to fast to really pick up too much steam from the Gulf waters.

Monday/Teusday it morphed into "Huh, that things going to be a Major Hurricane.  Maybe we should put some storm lines on the boat and rig for Storm Surge"

This morning I woke up to "The most powerful hurricane to hit the Panhandle of FL, ever".  

That's a VERY fast progression that the models didn't really predict.  *expletive deleted*it happens, and models aren't perfect.  But they didn't get as much warning as normal.  Not like watching Irma strengthen for 7-10 days.

ETA:  I just pulled the NHC Forecast Advisory archives to jog my memory.

On Sat the 6th they were forecasting 60kt max winds for 1800Z on the 10.

By yesterday they were up to forecasting 110kt max winds for 1800Z today.

At 0900Z today we were measuring 120kt winds with it expected to strengthen over the day.  It just strengthened way more than anyone predicted.  Which is why those of us in FL do our best to have as much ready to go as possible.  Sometimes you don't have a lot of time to change plans at the last minute.  Charlie did a similar thing in that it hung a 90 degree right hand turn and turned an expected glancing blow for Ft. Meyers into a direct hit, with about 12 hours notice.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »
I recognize this one ramped up pretty quickly. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the news usually starts OMG when they are still tropical storms and out a ways.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
You would think that every little puff of wind would be blamed on Trump, now that he has George Bush's Hurricane machine.

But they we too busy last week running down Trump's SCOTUS pick to worried about a hurricane in a state that voted for Trump.

But not to worry, they already have stories ready to go about how Trump has once again failed when it comes to disaster response....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:02:46 AM »
You would think that every little puff of wind would be blamed on Trump, now that he has George Bush's Hurricane machine.

But they we too busy last week running down Trump's SCOTUS pick to worried about a hurricane in a state that voted for Trump.

But not to worry, they already have stories ready to go about how Trump has once again failed when it comes to disaster response....
I guess the national news guys are in a mad rush from D.C. to Florida to get video on the beach.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
I guess the national news guys are in a mad rush from D.C. to Florida to get video on the beach.

You'd think, at this point, they would just have some disaster sets they could use for their "on-location shots," since they've been faking them anyway. Just get all the heroes of journalism over to the Hurricane, Category 5, East Coast U.S. set, and run them through one at a time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 12:48:04 PM »
That set would need to be in a wading pool to capture the "flooding"....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »
Its hitting the florida panhandle / Alabama gulf coast, an area populated mainly by deplorables.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
For the record, Advisory Number 1, on potential Tropical Cyclone 14 was issued 2100z Oct 6.  It wasn't even a Hurricane until Advisory 8 at 1500z Monday the 8th.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
IIRC, they were saying that it would be at most a Cat2 hurricane by the time it made landfall.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
IIRC, they were saying that it would be at most a Cat2 hurricane by the time it made landfall.

IT'S ALL TRUMP'S FAULT! His weather team can't even predict a hurricane right. Hillary wouldn't have let this happen!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design