Author Topic: Wind farms are warming the earth, researchers say  (Read 3279 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Wind farms are warming the earth, researchers say
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/04/30/wind-farms-are-warming-earth-researchers-say/

Oooops.  Mash the above link for more information.

Researchers used satellite data from 2003 to 2011 to examine surface temperatures across as wide swath of west Texas, which has built four of the world's largest wind farms. The data showed a direct correlation between night-time temperatures increases of 0.72 degrees C (1.3 degrees F) and the placement of the farms.

"Given the present installed capacity and the projected growth in installation of wind farms across the world, I feel that wind farms, if spatially large enough, might have noticeable impacts on local to regional meteorology," Liming Zhou, associate professor at the State University of New York, Albany and author of the paper published April 29 in Nature Climate Change said in an e-mail to Discovery News.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Wind farms are warming the earth, researchers say
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
Any time that we screw with natural balance, we screw something up.
We never learn......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
Wow - discovering a little known effect that fruit growers have known for decades  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Wow - discovering a little known effect that fruit growers have known for decades  ;/

I have seen the growers fire up the big turbine fans in the cherry orchards to try and prevent freeze damage to the ripe fruit.  Some of the loudest fans you will ever hear.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
They couldn't be warming the earth, but they could be interfering with natural cooling via cooler air blowing in off the ocean, etc.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
I worry about all those big wheels turning affecting the rotation of the earth  =|

They should design half of them to turn the other way so to cancel each other out.  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
In the immortal words of the Simpsons' Nelson Muntz; "HA-HA!"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
Finally!!!   Man caused Global Warming.  Oh the irony... :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
Wait! No! I thought it was cows that caused global warming?

I'm so confused.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
Wait! No! I thought it was cows that caused global warming?

I'm so confused.

Al Gore can help set you straight.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Carl N. Brown

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:40 AM »
If you think fossil fuel automobile graveyards have a negative impact on the environment (rust, leaking oil, etc) wait until there are enough battery powered automobiles going out-of-service to have hybrid graveyards: big batteries = haz mat sites.

It is nice I suppose that these folks care enough to want to save us, but who will save us from our saviors' unintended consequences?