Author Topic: Mess With the Bull, Get the Horns  (Read 177 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Mess With the Bull, Get the Horns
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 05:24:53 PM »
There were no fluffy cows to pet so she went for the next best thing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 08:23:43 PM »
Teehee.
As a post graduate student I did a clinical rotation in X-ray at a small rural hospital in Iowa.
Nothing happened first 2 nights and I was worried that I would have nothing to get evaluated on.
County coroner called and said be ready. Brought in a body bag on a gurney. Said “I need X-rays”.
Stupid me. I had studied all the positions and set up etc. I said how? He said doesn’t matter. Head, thorax, whatever. Just give me some views.
When we started getting the wet films out of the processor (pre digital) they were a mash of a farmer that was killed by his bull.
I had worked around cattle but that gave me a new appreciation for what they can do.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 08:27:46 PM »
Guess the movie

Harry Monroe: I'm a clown, see? I shoot the firecrackers and the soda water. There's a little car that pulls up and there's supposed to be like 10 midgets in it. They all get out...
    Blade: That ain't no rodeo clown! A rodeo clown is the most *dangerous* job in the world! He's the one that gets *closest* to the bull. He gets the *best* of the bull! *Hook* to the left! *Hook* to the side! If the bull rider is in *danger*, he's gotta protect him! Even if it means gettin' his *ribs* pulled out and bein' freight-trained.
    Harry Monroe: Freight-trained!
    Blade: That's right. Run over, just like a freight train, only with a *bull*, it's worse! Cause a freight train don't back up and finish the job. Later on I'll show you the proper way to lie on the stretcher when they come to pick you up.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 10:39:54 PM »
Wow, she walked away from that. And with an education.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 11:06:11 PM »
Ag Department inspector shows up at a farmer's place and told him he's going to "inspect" the fields.

Farmer asks if he has a warrant, so the Ag Department inspector pulls out a badge and says "You're producing FOODSTUFFS, so this BADGE is all the authorization I need!"

Farmer says "OK, just stay away from the cattle in the back 40 and their bull."

Ag inspector's eyes light up. "Why that's EXACTLY where I'm doing my inspection!"

Couple of minutes later the farmer hears screams coming from the back 40, where the Ag inspector is being chased by the bull - who's obviously going to catch the Ag inspector before he can reach & hop over the fence. "HELP! HELP!" screams the Ag inspector. "THAT BULL IS GOING TO KILL ME!"

Farmer yells "YOUR BADGE! SHOW HIM YOUR BADGE!"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:49:52 AM »
Back when I was a reporter we had a local farmer killed by his bull.

IIRC he was pretty badly injured and died in hospital.

Coroner (I knew, and was friendly with him) said it was a simple case of the farmer getting careless around what can be a VERY dangerous animal.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:40:07 AM »
I have sheep.  A small breed. Like rams top out around 80lbs.  I don't turn my back on him.  No way I'd trust a bull.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:13:57 PM »
I have sheep.  A small breed. Like rams top out around 80lbs.  I don't turn my back on him.  No way I'd trust a bull.

And it's not even necessarily meanness (though I think the bull in the link got aggravated). Sometimes it's just playfulness, and even cows are dangerous then.

Just yesterday, I was mowing down a paddock that was starting to seed (the cows won't touch stuff once seed heads form, but will eat the headed grass shortly after cutting it) and pretty much all the cows in the paddock were following me around, and a few of the young heifers were making runs at the tractor, from what I could tell, just for fun, almost like dogs playing. I've seen them do that when I'm in my UTV as well, and again, not out of meanness, but just playfulness. But when the animal weighs as much as a cow, playfulness can be dangerous if you're not protected by a vehicle. Even then, I have areas where T-posts (not flimsy garden posts but the 1/8" steel kind) are set, like the yardage markers on my shooting range, and they have gone through and bent those things at 90deg like they were one of those flexible straws or something. They are powerful animals, even when they don't mean to be.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:30:01 PM »
My Dad has several longhorn cows.  They also know exactly where their horn tips are and how to use them.  They are very gentle around people.  You can walk up to them and scratch them on the head and feed them pellets.  However, they will use their horns and bodies against each other when trying to get to the pellets my Dad puts out most days.  He tries to be careful in how puts the food out so he is out of the way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge