Author Topic: Chainsaw Milling  (Read 236 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Chainsaw Milling
« on: April 19, 2023, 07:09:14 PM »
Had a chance to get some of the big White Oak milled up today.
See for background - https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=68179.0
I ended up with just over 8 rick of firewood (just about 2 cords) and I'll have a little more after I'm bone cutting boards

I did pony up and get a 36" bar and chains and the mill extension. I also went ahead and got Granberg's rail system and winch add-on, they both made the job much easier.
The MS462 did fine pulling the big chain through what I worked up today but we'll see when I get to the big log.

Here's what I did today. Sawed several "cookies" off of a couple of bigger limbs I had set back for just that.

The two smaller ones on the left are narrow enough I can run them through my planer and my intention for them will be to make a couple of Sharkcoothie boards (nobody really knows how to pronounce charcuterie  =D ).  The larger ones will need a different method of flattening after they're dry, probably some kind of router sled. They were all cut to a full 3" thickness

Got 4 decent slabs off the short piece I ripped today only 29" long by 24" wide on the two from the middle.
I did a fair job of centering the pith and got some nice quarter sawn ray fleck but the pith section sometimes has trouble with drying. I cut these all at 2.5"  so I'm hoping they'll dry flat enough I can get something out of them. Current thought is some "rustic" live edge tables.

Still planning on squaring up the main log for dimensional lumber, hope to get into that sometime next week.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
Re: Chainsaw Milling
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 07:40:13 PM »
That's some nice lumber there.  I've always liked the look of oak.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 07:53:48 PM »
Nice!

I’ve got three long slabs of 12/4 sassafras drying now, plus a shorter slab for my 9 year old to make a bench.

I’ve been slowly putting together the parts for the frame for the router sled.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 11:26:15 PM »
Larry - that is some beautiful grain in those slabs.  Once you plane those down, I hope those patterns remain.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 12:20:57 AM »
I have big leaf maple, birch, alder, and English walnut logs to mill.
Formerly sumpnz