Author Topic: Earth Day 2023  (Read 718 times)

HankB

• friend
Earth Day 2023
« on: April 22, 2023, 09:15:44 AM »
Today is Earth Day.

It doesn't seem to be as big a deal as it used to be (which is surprising considering Brandon's green agenda) but I still remember how it was first celebrated - multitudes of environmentalists descended on Washington, D.C., to demonstrate their concern for the environment by utterly trashing the National Mall and leaving behind truckloads of debris, rubbish, and utter filth for someone else to clean up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Earth Day 2023
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 09:24:35 AM »
Not as big of a deal anymore for us anti-Earth Day people either. I might burn one of my brush piles today or not, depending on how lazy I am.

Some moron in Boise was trying to rally people to do the following today: Drive to five different gas stations and put $1 of gas in your car in each one, which would somehow stick it to the oil companies and also stick it to all the evil car drivers because it would cause lines at all the pumps and show people how worthless cars are.

He didn't do the math on everyone doing this actually inputting five times their normal carbon emissions, plus creating traffic jams at gas stations where people would just be sitting and idling their cars. He could do more for the Earth by shutting his stupid yap and staying at home.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 09:26:34 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 09:36:00 AM »
Not as big of a deal anymore for us anti-Earth Day people either. I might burn one of my brush piles today or not, depending on how lazy I am.
 . . .
Don't forget to throw a couple of old tires on top of the brush before you light it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 09:45:27 AM »
I've got my old tire/brush pile pyre all stacked and ready go with 10 gallons of used motor oil set aside to go with it.
Unfortunately, it has been particularly dry here so far this spring and the wind is a little too strong this morning. It is supposed to slack off this afternoon, we'll see. But remember Earth Day is something we should celebrate all year long!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »
I thought every day was earth day now.
 I had not thought about it before.
I had to do some catch-up work in town this am so I drove the 16mpg Jeep rubicon instead of the 32mpg ford fusion. I also have a big dirty brush pile I can burn if conditions are good. No tires but there are some asphalt shingles somewhere in there.
Hey just trying to do my part.
I don’t have a private jet to fly around in like John Kerry or Algore.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 12:25:18 PM »

Some moron in Boise was trying to rally people to do the following today: Drive to five different gas stations and put $1 of gas in your car in each one, which would somehow stick it to the oil companies and also stick it to all the evil car drivers because it would cause lines at all the pumps and show people how worthless cars are.

He didn't do the math on everyone doing this actually inputting five times their normal carbon emissions, plus creating traffic jams at gas stations where people would just be sitting and idling their cars. He could do more for the Earth by shutting his stupid yap and staying at home.
That sounds like the logical scientific analysis done by most environmental activists. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 01:04:46 PM »
It is possible to like small government, individual liberty, and the environment.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 01:21:04 PM »
It is possible to like small government, individual liberty, and the environment.

That would be assuming that all three of the above can co-exist. Current events would suggest that the co-existence of all three is un-possible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 01:28:08 PM »
That would be assuming that all three of the above can co-exist. Current events would suggest that the co-existence of all three is un-possible.

Well, I think they can, if the "environment" part is not made up of controlling Gretas telling everyone how to live. It's not like I go around on Glysophate crime sprees - I don't want to surround myself with pollution. I like to try and take care of the environment around me. I just don't want anyone putting a gun to my head to do it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 07:38:06 PM »
I like to try and take care of the environment around me. I just don't want anyone putting a gun to my head to do it.

IOW, you want to destroy the environment.

And you're a racist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2023, 09:25:46 PM »
Wind has settled down. Time to do my part.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 10:23:00 AM »
Went to a brewery last night in a neighboring town, buy a beer, get a tree. I went home with 2 northern pecan seedlings (dormant).
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 10:38:09 AM »
That's pretty cool.  Will those pecan trees grow pecans, or are they just ornamental?
Oh, and how was the beer?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 11:07:08 AM »
That's pretty cool.  Will those pecan trees grow pecans, or are they just ornamental?
Oh, and how was the beer?

They will produce pecans; they are a lot smaller than the pecans from southern states. We also call them pecan hickory here. They are the same species as the ones in the south, Carya Illinoinensis.

Apparently indigenous people slowly planted pecan trees further north and the northern pecan became climatized to colder weather overtime. There are a few old groves in north central Iowa near the Minnesota border that were planted by the tribes that inhabited the area before European settlement.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 01:58:59 PM »
I've tamed on this as I've gotten older.  I'm still very critical of "activists" who accomplish nothing with respect to environmentalism, and even more so of the politicians who use greenwashing as a mechanism for their own graft and power grabs.  But I see little value in releasing a bunch of toxic crap into the environment as a knee jerk reaction against them.  That doesn't help anybody.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 10:16:05 AM »
. . . But I see little value in releasing a bunch of toxic crap into the environment as a knee jerk reaction against them.  That doesn't help anybody.
The point is simply saying it sends some of the enviros into hysterical fits of apoplexy - the amusement value of this makes it worthwhile.  >:D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2023, 10:42:11 AM »
I've tamed on this as I've gotten older.  I'm still very critical of "activists" who accomplish nothing with respect to environmentalism, and even more so of the politicians who use greenwashing as a mechanism for their own graft and power grabs.  But I see little value in releasing a bunch of toxic crap into the environment as a knee jerk reaction against them.  That doesn't help anybody.

Dude. It's a joke. Go eat a Snickers.  =D =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 10:51:51 AM »
Dude. It's a joke. Go eat a Snickers.  =D =D

I mean, I gotta burn the brush pile on one day or another, so it's getting burned either way. I don't see why I can't get some extra ahole points and burn it on the day that most upsets the insufferable, nagging Gretas.  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 10:52:03 AM »
The bigger problem is the environmental activists spend all their time going after people/countries who are NOT dumping crap into the environment while ignoring people/countries who are.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2023, 10:53:43 AM »
The bigger problem is the environmental activists spend all their time going after people/countries who are NOT dumping crap into the environment while ignoring people/countries who are.

Which one is more profitable for the activists to go after?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2023, 11:33:13 AM »
I mean, I gotta burn the brush pile on one day or another, so it's getting burned either way. I don't see why I can't get some extra ahole points and burn it on the day that most upsets the insufferable, nagging Gretas.  =D

It's brush, not a stack of tires and asphalt shingles. Greta awards you no points, maybe 1/2 point for the bio char that will slowly incorporate into your soil.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2023, 11:39:58 AM »
Well, the Haitians are doing their part
Posted this in the Haiti thread but it fits in here with the burning tires talk.

Moment 'gang members' beg for mercy before vigilante lynch mob stones them and burns them alive among petrol-soaked tyres in the streets in Haiti
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12011009/Haiti-Gang-members-beg-mercy-vigilante-lynch-mob-stones-burns-alive.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2023, 11:30:48 PM »
And what do you think would happen to enviros who started vandalizing cars or doing some other "civil protest" on the streets of Beijing?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2023, 09:04:04 AM »
And what do you think would happen to enviros who started vandalizing cars or doing some other "civil protest" on the streets of Beijing?
I am sure they could think of other ways to influence them if they really wanted to.  But that would be hard and might take some actual work.