Author Topic: did you see that?  (Read 2155 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
did you see that?
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »

How long did it take you?  How much longer to figure out what it was?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: did you see that?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
Less than 15 seconds to spot, maybe another 10 seconds to positively identify.

Not that it would have saved me.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »

Brave lad. More exposed than I'd prefer
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
I got distracted by what looks like a skull in the center of the pic, but I see it as well.  About 45 seconds.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
Less than 15 seconds to spot, maybe another 10 seconds to positively identify.

Not that it would have saved me.

It was about 10-15 seconds for me, too. Identified faster as I noticed the hat. However, I consider it cheating as I knew I was looking for something, and it was probably camouflaged.

(Related, I've read that colorblind people, like myself, tend to pick out camouflaged items faster than those who are not.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »
I guess I misjudged the scale.  I was looking for a little spider or something and saw it as a pic of a small creek or pile of rocks.  I saw that big rock in the center as being 5 or 6 inches across.  Chuncks of concrete and flint rock in a stream bed.  

Your reference to a hat made me look at it again as a large area and I saw what looks like a barrel.  Pictures without scale are tough sometimes for me.  Maybe it is where I am and grew up.  We don't have many big rock outcrops like that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:28:58 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
An honest 3-5 seconds.  I was focusing on the lower left quadrant when I noticed the barrel and slightly different coloration out of the "corner of my eye". 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
An honest 3-5 seconds.  I was focusing on the lower left quadrant when I noticed the barrel and slightly different coloration out of the "corner of my eye". 

Chris

About a 1 sec of looking at it I thought it was a spider where the camodude was. Then I though it was a chickie covered in body paint laying on the rock, then I finally saw it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »
Slightly longer than Chris. I noticed the rifle barrel first, also because of the color differential.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »
I saw a sailboat!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »
Insert Quote
I guess I misjudged the scale.  I was looking for a little spider or something and saw it as a pic of a small creek or pile of rocks.  I saw that big rock in the center as being 5 or 6 inches across.  Chuncks of concrete and flint rock in a stream bed. 

Your reference to a hat made me look at it again as a large area and I saw what looks like a barrel.  Pictures without scale are tough sometimes for me.  Maybe it is where I am and grew up.  We don't have many big rock outcrops like that.

This. The whole time I was thinking maybe it was a spider or something.

I saw a sailboat!

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
Yeah, I was way off on the scale  :facepalm:

First I saw what looked like a rattlesnake head poking out of the hole in the center.

Then I saw a lizard on the right side of the big rock.

Is this anything like snipe hunting?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
Lizard?

Is that what they are caling themselves now?

stay sasfe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »
Perpective threw me off as well, I was looking for a rattlesnake. I saw the barrel first
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
For some reason I thought it was an underwater scene, so I was looking for a fish or an octopus or something. Soon as I saw the reference to a hat I found him pretty quickly.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »
I first saw this on my phone, and couldn't see a blessed thing, even after I saw from the comments that it was a sniper. I got home and looked at it on the 17" screen, and immediately saw a barrel, then the rest of him.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:41:37 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
It took me a while to see anything - mostly I was so worried it was one of those blasted 3-D 'you have to stare cross-eyed at the screen/page for 30 seconds after drinking a unicorn tear milkshake' pictures that I got mad and just waited for a few comments to at least give me a hint as to what it was.

Then I found it after about 30 seconds. And I didn't have any residual cross-eyed double vision.  [barf]

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »
I looked at it this morning for about 10 seconds before work and didn't see anything.  I too was looking for a spider or snake.

I got home just now and saw the sniper instantly. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
Perpective threw me off as well, I was looking for a rattlesnake. I saw the barrel first

Two biggest things to camouflage. Straight lines and movement.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
Yeah, I was way off on the scale  :facepalm:

First I saw what looked like a rattlesnake head poking out of the hole in the center.

Then I saw a lizard on the right side of the big rock.

I "saw" a rattlesnake, too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
took about 3-5 seconds, but then I was scanning for "a threat".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »
I'd be a dead guy, still can't see a thing.  Color blind, too, for whatever that's worth.  Not much, apparently.
I see a hat shaped object toward the upper right in a resting snake-looking formation.  Nothing like a rifle barrel anywhere, unless I pretend there is one in that snakey-looking thing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 05:12:38 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
I'd be a dead guy, still can't see a thing.  Color blind, too, for whatever that's worth.  Not much, apparently.
I see a hat shaped object toward the upper right in a resting snake-looking formation.  Nothing like a rifle barrel anywhere, unless I pretend there is one in that snakey-looking thing.

[Sheepishly raises hand.] Me, too. No clue after several visits to the image.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
Fairly quick because of the different color of the shooter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!