Author Topic: Whitefish Montana Sea Kittens  (Read 5301 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Whitefish Montana Sea Kittens
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
seriously?  muwhahahahahahahahaha...  deep breath

muwhahahahahahahhahahahahha

http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=12441

Community Can Get Hooked on Compassion by Thinking of Fish as Kittens Who Live in the Sea, Say Animal Advocates

For Immediate Release:
January 7, 2009

Pulin Modi 757-622-7382

Missoula, Mont. -- This morning, PETA sent a letter to Whitefish High School Principal Kent Paulson urging him to do something fishy: launch an initiative to change the name of his school to Sea Kitten High and encourage everyone to refer to fish and other marine animals as sea kittens. In its letter, PETA points out that although sea kittens might not be cute and cuddly, they are smart animals who communicate with each other, show affection, and, most importantly, feel pain. The suggestion is tongue-in-cheek--which beats a hook in the mouth any day, PETA believes.

"If Whitefish High School became Sea Kitten High and everyone in town starts calling fish 'sea kittens,' fewer of these gentle animals would be violently killed for food, painfully hooked for 'sport,' or cruelly confined to aquariums," says PETA's "Save the Sea Kittens" campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne. "Schools strive for achievements in academics and sports, so why not add compassion to the list?"

For more information, please visit PETA.org.

PETA's letter to Principal Kent Paulson follows.

January 7, 2009

Kent Paulson, Principal
Whitefish High School

Dear Principal Paulson,

I'm writing to you today on behalf of PETA, the world's largest animal rights organization, with more than 2 million members and supporters. In early October, PETA launched its Sea Kitten campaign, which suggests a name-change for fish as a way to promote empathy for them and other marine animals. Today, we're proposing that Whitefish High School adopt a new name to reflect the gentle nature of its current marine namesake.

We're hoping that by calling fish "sea kittens," compassionate people who would never hurt a dog or a cat will realize that fish feel pain and fear, just like furry and winged animals do. In fact, neurobiologists tell us that fish have complex nervous systems that comprehend and respond to pain. Fish communicate and develop relationships with one another, show affection by gently rubbing against other fish, and even grieve when their companions die. However, when they are dragged from the ocean's depths, sea kittens undergo excruciating decompression, often causing their eyes to pop out and pushing their stomachs out through their mouths. When they are tossed onto ships' decks, many sea kittens slowly suffocate or are crushed to death. This is no way to treat a "kitten."

Most parents would never dream of spending a family weekend torturing kittens, but hooking fish through their mouths and pulling them through the water is just as painful as hooking a cat's mouth and dragging him or her behind a car. We're hoping that this name change will encourage people young and old to start treating these gentle "kittens of the sea" with respect�and show them the kindness that they deserve.

We hope that Whitefish High School will start off the semester right by changing its name to Sea Kitten High School. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Dan Shannon
Assistant Director

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Whitefish Montana Sea Kittens
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Wow.

Clicked on thread because I had NO IDEA what a sea kitten was.

Read post.  Laughed until I almost passed out.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

crt360

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »
Sea kitten, the other white meat.  Yum.
For entertainment purposes only.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »
I loves me some Sea-kitteh fillets, battered and deep fried with tartar sauce!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
Satire. I'm sure it's a satire. People couldn't be that dumb.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »
Satire. I'm sure it's a satire. People couldn't be that dumb.

Don't work with the public much, do you?

I've seen stupider.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
Sounds fishy to me ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
This actually reveals a deep truth about PETA and such groups. They have no real argument aside from "but look how cute they are!!!!!"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »
This actually reveals a deep truth about PETA and such groups. They have no real argument aside from "but look how cute they are!!!!!

I saw nothing about "how cute they are" regarding fish.  They were simply stating that fish feel pain, etc. just like cats do.  Which is true.  The vast majority of Americans are giant pansies who have no problem driving through mcdonalds ordering a hamburger made from a cow that was killed in nasty conditions, but will consider hunting a wild deer barbaric and cruel.  I have less of a problem with peta than I do those types.

The peta argument is that animals feel pain, hunger, and even some emotion, just like you do.  Which is a completely true argument.

::puts on flame suit::

oh yeah, the peta folks are nuts btw...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:27 PM »
"How cute they are" refers to the attempt to create an emotional response that they think will discourage fishing.  The peta argument is that kittens are cute so lets see if we can con a principle into helping us make people associate cute kittens with fish.  There is no rational argument in that.  If they wanted to make a rational argument, they would just say what you said and drop the whole "sea kitten" thing.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
I prefer my kitten kung pao style.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »
"How cute they are" refers to the attempt to create an emotional response that they think will discourage fishing.  The peta argument is that kittens are cute so lets see if we can con a principle into helping us make people associate cute kittens with fish.  There is no rational argument in that.  If they wanted to make a rational argument, they would just say what you said and drop the whole "sea kitten" thing.

Got'ya.  Peta often makes arguments that aren't made to get the average person to see the positive aspects of their world view, but to pander to their base.  I don't think even the craziest of us want food-providing animals to suffer unnessacarily.  Most hunters I know have a strong respect for the animals they hunt.

BUT I still don't completely understand.  The average american would find eating a dog repulsive, but they have no problem eating a pig.  If I point out to someone that a pig is as intelligent as their dog they either deny it or find some way to not fully acknowledge it.  PETA is trying to say that just because the fish is ugly, doesn't mean it doesn't feel pain like a kitten.  They just failed, like they always do..

I'm a vegetarian (13 years), so I get to deal with the crazies all the time... often times they've only been vegetarian for 6 weeks (and won't be in another 6) and they'll start telling me blahblahblah people are evil blahblah.... I've had so many of those chicks come on to me just b/c I'm a vegetarian... too bad they are mostly crazies (and I'm married).. it's great watching their heads explode when I tell them I collect guns.  I'd also kill and eat an animal in half a second if I deemed it neccessary for my survival.  For now it isn't neccessary so I see no reason to put an animal through undue suffering just so I can eat meat.  Just my opinion though...  Oh yeah, statistically speaking I'm going to live longer than all of you, so hahaha.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »
Oh yeah, statistically speaking I'm going to live longer than all of you, so hahaha.

I've got two words for ya, buddy:
Jim Fixx
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »
I'm a vegetarian........Oh yeah, statistically speaking I'm going to live longer than all of you, so hahaha.

If you can call that living. :lol:
To each his own though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »
I've got two words for ya, buddy:
Jim Fixx

Yep, genetics count more than diet.  Doesn't hurt though... last I read it was average of 6 years longer... not sure the accuracy of that though.. correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can call that living.
To each his own though

Yeah, I get that a lot... after doing it so long I don't even think about it anymore.  The only thing I ever get a craving for is white castles or fried chicken, both of which would be the worst possible meat I could eat.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 04:14:03 AM »
Yeah, I get that a lot... after doing it so long I don't even think about it anymore.  The only thing I ever get a craving for is white castles or fried chicken, both of which would be the worst possible meat I could eat.
Just shows you're human(ish) and you've got the same desires normal people do.  =D

Once went about three weeks with no meat, and I didn't realize it.  Was on a massive health-food kick consisting of (as I put it) plant matter and water.  Granted, when I broke down and bought a steak dinner it was the best meal I ever had, but didn't really feel any different up to that point other than "Hmm... steak sounds good."  Vegetarians and vegetarianism are fine by me--I just hate it when people try to "guilt" me into anything.  Church, car repairs, and trial software are the same way.

Regarding another statement, living longer is only a good thing if you've got a reason to.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
Just shows you're human(ish) and you've got the same desires normal people do.  =D

Once went about three weeks with no meat, and I didn't realize it.  Was on a massive health-food kick consisting of (as I put it) plant matter and water.  Granted, when I broke down and bought a steak dinner it was the best meal I ever had, but didn't really feel any different up to that point other than "Hmm... steak sounds good."  Vegetarians and vegetarianism are fine by me--I just hate it when people try to "guilt" me into anything.  Church, car repairs, and trial software are the same way.

Regarding another statement, living longer is only a good thing if you've got a reason to.  =)

I had a co-worker years ago who was a rabid vegetarian. At every, every, lunch meal he would harangue one or all of us about the evils of eating meat. Friendly jibes about his choices were met with defensive outbursts. Ignoring him was treated the same as tacitly agreeing with him and resulted in more harangues about coming out of the meat-eaters' closetinto the sunlight of vegetarianism (I kid you not, that's a direct quote).

It finally took several of us having a meeting with the boss and promising physical harm to the guy if something wasn't done to get something done. He threatened legal action because his "free speech rights [were] being violated" but either the boss or a lawyer with sense got him to understand that he was infringing on our right to not be harangued every day because he shut up and, not too long after, took a job elsewhere. I've always wondered if he ever wised up or kept moving from job to job after he'd worn out his welcome at each new one.

Also, PETA are stone nutjobs, and jd is welcome to his personal diet choices. The less steak he eats the more there is for me! =D

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
Oh yeah, statistically speaking I'm going to live longer than all of you, so hahaha.

I'm betting those statistcs are not very well-controlled.

There is a selection bias to vegetarians: not many are overweight, not many are smokers. (Ironically, I DO know an overweight vegetarian. It seems she replaced meat with chocolate).

Comparing a group that has a selection bias to the population at large is not good statistics.

Compare non-overweight meat-eaters to vegetarians and you would have have a better idea.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
Got'ya.  Peta often makes arguments that aren't made to get the average person to see the positive aspects of their world view, but to pander to their base.  I don't think even the craziest of us want food-providing animals to suffer unnessacarily.  Most hunters I know have a strong respect for the animals they hunt.

BUT I still don't completely understand.  The average american would find eating a dog repulsive, but they have no problem eating a pig.  If I point out to someone that a pig is as intelligent as their dog they either deny it or find some way to not fully acknowledge it.  PETA is trying to say that just because the fish is ugly, doesn't mean it doesn't feel pain like a kitten.  They just failed, like they always do..

I'm a vegetarian (13 years), so I get to deal with the crazies all the time... often times they've only been vegetarian for 6 weeks (and won't be in another 6) and they'll start telling me blahblahblah people are evil blahblah.... I've had so many of those chicks come on to me just b/c I'm a vegetarian... too bad they are mostly crazies (and I'm married).. it's great watching their heads explode when I tell them I collect guns.  I'd also kill and eat an animal in half a second if I deemed it neccessary for my survival.  For now it isn't neccessary so I see no reason to put an animal through undue suffering just so I can eat meat.  Just my opinion though...  Oh yeah, statistically speaking I'm going to live longer than all of you, so hahaha.
I agree with you that many people are either hypocritical, overly emotional, or just grossly naive about where meat comes from and eating it.  Also agree that there is no one more fanatical than a fresh convert. 

I grew up around cows, hunting, and fishing.  I never had illusions about where meat comes from and most of the beef we ate was grass fed on my grandfather's land. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:20:03 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
For now it isn't neccessary so I see no reason to put an animal through undue suffering just so I can eat meat.  Just my opinion though...  Oh yeah, statistically speaking I'm going to live longer than all of you, so hahaha.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill

http://maddox.xmission.com/hatemail.cgi#PETA
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:05:07 AM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
PETA really needs to get on the anti-masterbating campaign.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 11:27:19 AM »
I had a co-worker years ago who was a rabid vegetarian. At every, every, lunch meal he would harangue one or all of us about the evils of eating meat. Friendly jibes about his choices were met with defensive outbursts. Ignoring him was treated the same as tacitly agreeing with him and resulted in more harangues about coming out of the meat-eaters' closetinto the sunlight of vegetarianism (I kid you not, that's a direct quote).

Yeah that is a genuine *expletive deleted*bag.  Many vegs act that way.. make us all look bad.  The thing is, I've "converted" close to a dozen people... but I've never actively tried to do it.  If someone asks me a question about it I will answer them and explain my beliefs, but I've never harassed anyone about it.  The fact that I am in fairly good shape helps a lot... it's the "hey, I want to look like that , what do I do?"  To think that strictly going vegetarian will get you in good shape is asinine though.. you have to balance your diet and work out.. just like non-vegs.  But the fact that you (generally)have lower caloric intake makes it easier to lose weight.

There is a selection bias to vegetarians: not many are overweight, not many are smokers. (Ironically, I DO know an overweight vegetarian. It seems she replaced meat with chocolate).

I think that is the point.  Being a vegetarian DOES help you stay thin, simply because of the lower caloric intake.  Staying ideal weight REALLY helps you live longer.  Therefore being a veg helps you live longer.  I had an exgf who became a vegetarian (and no, I didn't try to convert her, she decided on her own!) and didn't lose any weight, in fact she started to lose her hair.  Her veg diet consisted of salad, crackers, and chocolate.. obviously that isn't enough to keep someone healthy.  I suggested she add some tofu, black beans (vegetarian chili is good!), soy milk and nuts to her diet, but she claimed "that stuff is gross".  I then suggested maybe she should start eating meat again.. which she did.

I agree with you that many people are either hypocritical, overly emotional, or just grossly naive about where meat comes from and eating it.  Also agree that there is no one more fanatical than a fresh convert.

That is what really gets me.  I live in a suburban area, but work in an urban area where most people haven't even shot a rifle, much less gone hunting.  What irks me more than anything is when they all start giving one of the hunters that I work with trouble about hunting.  As I said, they have no trouble driving through mcdonalds, but someone who actually harvests the food themselves is looked upon as in the wrong or crazy.  It's asinine.  

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill

http://maddox.xmission.com/hatemail.cgi#PETA

natural selection.. if the animal is dumb enough to not get out of the way of the combine.... heh j/k

This guy is as crazy as peta is.  Of course this happens.  I don't think peta's response was bad in this case.  They run into a problem with their logic because they are usually so violently against animal death.. I am not.  I truly am trying to simply LIMIT animal suffering, not stop it completely.

PETA really needs to get on the anti-masterbating campaign

Then I REALLY need to keep being a vegetarian..if only to make up for the millions (perhaps billions) of kittens I've killed since my 12th birthday.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
i eat meat. i like meat. i generally eat what is accepted by my culture. in other words i go along with the general cultural norms for what is an eating animal.

in other words i don't eat horse, cats, dogs and rodents/non game animals. i might if i was starving. *shrug*
if i was raised in places where eating dogs and cats was the norm, i'd eat dogs and cats. *shrug*

and i really don't think calling fish kittens is going to stop me from eating them.

PETA has a lot of issues. including the simple fact that a lot of animals would go exstint if it weren't for their domestication.
and who would keep a horse if they couldn't ride the darn thing? or keep a cow if they wern't getting milk or gonna eat it when it gets big enough? 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds