Author Topic: NY Times article on concealed carry fashion  (Read 6998 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
NY Times article on concealed carry fashion
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us/fashion-statement-is-clear-the-gun-isnt.html

The article is reasonably well balanced, the comments are about what you would expect.  Apparently I am an insecure, bloodthirsty, racist, overaggressive, sexually inept, vigilante coward with a small/non-existent penis and no fashion sense.  The fashion sense part is at least accurate.

I did not know woolrich is now marketing concealed carry clothing.  I'll need to check that out.  It is nice to see more clothing geared for this that is not from 5.11
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:35:32 PM by 41magsnub »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: NY Times article on concealed carry fashion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
I did not know woolrich is now marketing concealed carry clothing.  I'll need to check that out.  It is nice to see more clothing geared for this that is not from 5.11

I did not know that Woolrich is a Pennsylvanian company.  Woolrich, PA is apparently a two hour drive... Hrm.  Might need to make a roadtrip.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »
It is nice to see more clothing geared for this that is not from 5.11

But 5.11 makes your penis bigger, why wouldyou not choose 5.11?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »
Interesting comments to the article. I like the diatribe that included the author telling someone on the street that Woolrich makes CCW clothing, and how that person took off his Woolrich jacket right then and there and threw it in a trash can. I hope it was cold outside when he did it.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:01:29 PM »
Oh what a hissy fit they would have over my open carry  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
MikeWI..If all the good guys have a concealed guy, what's to stop the bad guys from getting bigger, automatic guns? Will that be the next level of safe protection for the NRA? What this country needs are "smart" bullets for the stupid people who intend to use guns.

We need 'smart' computers a whole lot more apparantly. ;/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
 :facepalm:

Women are the fastest growing group of gun owners! And all we get is ugly purses!

And I stopped reading comments after the first two. Just because stupid exists on the interwebs, doesn't mean I have to read it.   ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
Oh what a hissy fit they would have over my open carry  :P

Open carry is how God intended guns to be worn. The rest of us are just living in sin.

Woolrich, a 182-year-old clothing company, describes its new chino pants as an elegant and sturdy fashion statement, with a clean profile and fabric that provides comfort and flexibility. And they are great for hiding a handgun.

For some reason the way he wrote that "hook" just infuriates me...it's the OMG THIS IS A HUGE DEAL AND YOU SHOULD CARE!!!!111 voice that journalists use when they think they're educating the rest of us to something that's "trending."

Give me a break.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:16:44 PM by Jocassee »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
Open carry is how God intended guns to be worn. The rest of us are just living in sin.
No, we are just no coming out of the closet completely.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
I like  all the negative anti-RKBA comments.

Obviously, the PRIMARY purpose of CCW, licensed or constitutional is one's own self-preservation.

The SECONDARY purpose is to exercise RKBA, in the theory of "Rights unused are rights lost" etc.

For me at least, there is also a THIRD purpose to CCW as well. (And ownership of various un-PC EBR's also) I do it and support it just because it bothers and/or frightens them.

One of the perennial problems in politics is that the collectivist mindset never gives up, they're always there, grinding away, when blocked on one avenue, they advance up another... And by our own nature, getting the individualist, by definition, to oppose them in as organized a fashion for as long as the collectivist will is nearly impossible.  RKBA and gun rights is one of the few successful gains the individualist ideology has made in the past decade or so. And if I can't destroy them, or remove them from the process, I will always strive to upset them, frustrate them, hurt them (mentally), worry them, demoralize them, grind them down, and make them suffer in anyway I can.  

I'm civilized enough that I don't do it directly or overtly myself. "Hey anti! (waggles hips) I've got a GUUNNNNNNN! And I'm CLOSE to you! WOOOOOH WOOOHH! Nothing you can do about it!" But the passage of CCW laws, and exercise thereof bothers them. And to that I say, good.

But 5.11 makes your penis bigger, why wouldyou not choose 5.11?

I thought that stood for 5.11 inches already?
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
I like  all the negative anti-RKBA comments.

Obviously, the PRIMARY purpose of CCW, licensed or constitutional is one's own self-preservation.

The SECONDARY purpose is to exercise RKBA, in the theory of "Rights unused are rights lost" etc.

For me at least, there is also a THIRD purpose to CCW as well. (And ownership of various un-PC EBR's also) I do it and support it just because it bothers and/or frightens them.

One of the perennial problems in politics is that the collectivist mindset never gives up, they're always there, grinding away, when blocked on one avenue, they advance up another... And by our own nature, getting the individualist, by definition, to oppose them in as organized a fashion for as long as the collectivist will is nearly impossible.  RKBA and gun rights is one of the few successful gains the individualist ideology has made in the past decade or so. And if I can't destroy them, or remove them from the process, I will always strive to upset them, frustrate them, hurt them (mentally), worry them, demoralize them, grind them down, and make them suffer in anyway I can.  

I'm civilized enough that I don't do it directly or overtly myself. "Hey anti! (waggles hips) I've got a GUUNNNNNNN! And I'm CLOSE to you! WOOOOOH WOOOHH! Nothing you can do about it!" But the passage of CCW laws, and exercise thereof bothers them. And to that I say, good.

I feel so tempted right now...  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »
I like  all the negative anti-RKBA comments.

I'm just going to go ahead and admit that pissing people off is one of the greatest joys in life. I love to make people turn purple with anger and send their blood-pressure sky-high.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
I'm just going to go ahead and admit that pissing people off is one of the greatest joys in life. I love to make people turn purple with anger and send their blood-pressure sky-high.
There is opportunity for a road trip in there somewhere
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »

I wish I could remember all the times I've had someone telling me how much they did not like guns*, did not like people with guns*, and how they were so deathly afraid of guns* they would faint away on the spot if they ever found themselves near a gun* - and then drew their attention to the fact that for the entire time they had been telling me all of this I had been openly carrying.  Not a single one of them fainted on the spot.  In fact, none of them even seemed to get woozy for a bit.

Yes, among the reasons I open carry is to upset the hoplophobes.

stay safe.

*except for the ones worn by police officers  :facepalm:
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
I wouldn't say that....

http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flashbang_Holster/Welcome.html

http://www.womensoutdoornews.com/category/gear/

*snort* yeah, great, the dumbest holster since thunderwear and instead of tacticool, I get to look like a hunt/country club woman who just got back from shooting skeet with her hubby dearest.  ;/

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
*snort* yeah, great, the dumbest holster since thunderwear and instead of tacticool, I get to look like a hunt/country club woman who just got back from shooting skeet with her hubby dearest.  ;/

Consider it camoflage....no one would ever guess you were a pistol-packin' animal lover then.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
Consider it camoflage....no one would ever guess you were a pistol-packin' animal lover then.....

Yeah, but then the yuppies might want to talk to me  [barf]

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »

I admit, for the period of time I owned two AK's (I found a great deal on a upgrade, finally sold the old ones a year or so later) I enjoyed the chance to respond to someone's outrage that I owned one of "those" guns with "No, I don't.  I own two of them."  "WHY?!?!"  "First, because I can.  Second, to piss off people like you."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »
 "First, because I can.  Second, to piss off people like you."

That is becoming my standard reply to morons who demand an explanation from me regarding my gun ownership.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Quote from: AJ Dual
"Hey anti! (waggles hips) I've got a GUUNNNNNNN! And I'm CLOSE to you!
I feel so tempted right now...  :lol:

Come on.  You know that's hot when chicks do it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
That is becoming my standard reply to morons who demand an explanation from me regarding my gun ownership.

After two months in CA this year, I can safely say that you live in a moron-rich environment ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
Yeah, but then the yuppies might want to talk to me  [barf]

.....like branches on a ghillie suit....  ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
I thought that stood for 5.11 inches already?

Obviously a company as tacticool as 5.11 would use the metric system so the question becomes mm or cm?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
Interesting comments to the article.

Two wrongs, do not make a right. Why anyone would want to defend themselves, perplexes me. If someone wants to harm you, or your family, JUST LET THEM! We have laws to deal with crime after the fact, if and when the criminals are caught.

just reading the headline made me nauseas. I could not read the article. what are we coming to? (or regressing to.)

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife