Author Topic: NY Times article on concealed carry fashion  (Read 6999 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: NY Times article on concealed carry fashion
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »

bunch of quotes

You know the reason I didn't read the comments was to avoid the  :facepalm: -ing and accompaning headache...
Luckly, I have you to remedy that  ;/

That one person needs his/her brain checked. I'm not going to die/be permently disfigured on the slim chance the cops will actually catch my attacker and the courts will actually put them in jail AND the jails will actually keep them there.

And they say people with guns are messed up.  :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »
Annoying anti gun radlibs has given me great joy and endless amusement.

In San Francisco one time I was an armed guard and my standard answer to the "when can you shoot some one?" or the "why do you own a gun?" was "the voices tell me to"

I once convinced a lib that only NRA members where allowed to carry guns, that to get the armed guard license you had to join the NRA, they left promising "to do something about that"

One gave me the "I'm for the second amendment, but why do you need an AR speech" My quick reply was "liberals don't like them" what a scowl they had to that answer.

When George Bush got reelected I told people I had gotten on my knees and prayed to Jesus for that outcome and they literally screamed in agony :angel: :lol:

New Yorkers are really brainwashed, its why I yearn for national reciprocity. Carrying in NYC will be incredibly fun
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
Obviously a company as tacticool as 5.11 would use the metric system so the question becomes mm or cm?

I actually do recall that "5.11" had something to do with the difficulty scale of a rock climb. Like how easy or various handholds were etc. And that's what the 5.11 pants actually were originally designed for. Loops to hold carabiners, reinforced seat and knees etc. The tactical/LEO crowd found them useful and they transmogrified into a primarily tactical brand, that being the larger market.

However, the "5.XX" difficulty scale confused me. We took our girls to a rock-wall gym over spring break, and all the walls difficulty charts started with "5". So I had to google it, and found out that it's an entire scale with "walking" at 1, and rope and gear only climbing at 6.xx etc.

Interesting.

I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
I actually do recall that "5.11" had something to do with the difficulty scale of a rock climb.

I still have a pair that are labeled "Royal Robbins 5.11". He's the rock climber who designed the original 5.11s, and who carried them in his outdoor catalog before he sold the label to 5.11.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
Two wrongs, do not make a right. Why anyone would want to defend themselves, perplexes me. If someone wants to harm you, or your family, JUST LET THEM! We have laws to deal with crime after the fact, if and when the criminals are caught.
I've never seen such a blatant example of pure victim mentality. Also, he's making a critical error - there's one wrong, and one right - it's wrong to assault, rape or rob people, but it's right, whether you consider it a Natural or God-given right, to defend yourself.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:14 AM »
I guess that person thinks that being attacked just means a few band-aids. Maybe a black eye? Certainly, no one gets killed. Or maimed. Or raped. That only happens in movies, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »
I think some of you need to have your sarcasm detector fixed.   Re: the comment "let them hurt you and your family, the police will catch them."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
You sure? He could be that stupid...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
I've never seen such a blatant example of pure victim mentality. Also, he's making a critical error - there's one wrong, and one right - it's wrong to assault, rape or rob people, but it's right, whether you consider it a Natural or God-given right, to defend yourself.

Oh no, no, I've seen worse.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
I've never understood why - if you are against violence - that you would hire the police to do violence for you ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
"Two wrongs, do not make a right. Why anyone would want to defend themselves, perplexes me. If someone wants to harm you, or your family, JUST LET THEM! We have laws to deal with crime after the fact, if and when the criminals are caught."

In fairness, maybe he doesn't like his family.  And believes himself to be worth less than a criminal.

I see no evidence to the contrary that he is, so give the guy a benefit of a doubt folks.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
There's lots of sarcasm from that comment oozing out of my computer screen.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
Honest to God I dated a woman who believed that. She said she wouldn't even lift a finger to help her own child. So that mentality does exist.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »
I've never understood why - if you are against violence - that you would hire the police to do violence for you

Its fits the same pattern where anti-hunting folks buy their meat from a supermarket.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »
Its fits the same pattern where anti-hunting folks buy their meat from a supermarket.

Everyone knows hat meat is made at the supermarket so that no animals need to be harmed in doing so.  If you doubt that, I can send at least three people I've been forced to interact with this week to your house who will convince you of the accuracy of that statement.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
There's lots of sarcasm from that comment oozing out of my computer screen.....
I'm also convinced that comment was very drily satirical.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
Everyone knows hat meat is made at the supermarket so that no animals need to be harmed in doing so.  If you doubt that, I can send at least three people I've been forced to interact with this week to your house who will convince you of the accuracy of that statement.

They probably couldn't find 'pink slime' in any of their animal books.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
There are people out there that think they are totally non violent, they're always well fed,live in a safe neighborhood and have enough money to replace anything they lose.

Put those people in a situation where if someone took their food and it meant going hungry and in two days the veneer will rub off.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 06:05:01 AM »
I particularly liked the idiots who imagined that people are under some moral imperative to fistfight, or at worst get into a knife fight with, a bad guy threatening their lives, because to use a gun would be cowardly. :facepalm:

If someone's threatening my life, or the lives of my family, I don't *WANT* a "fair fight." I want the threat *STOPPED, RFN*. A firearm is probably my best option for that. If Mr. Bad Guy drops to the floor upon seeing a gun clear leather, shaking and begging for his life, the threat is stopped, and we can wait calmly (for certain values of calm) for the cops to show up and haul him away in cuffs. If he doesn't do so, he can drop to the floor with one or more holes leaking some red stuff - in which case the threat is stopped, and we can wait calmly (again, for certain values of calm) for the cops/EMTs/coroner, as appropriate, to show up and haul him off (and quite possibly me too, though that's more likely some places than others).

Might I fail to stop the threat and save myself or my family, even with the pistol? Yup. But I've got a better chance with the pistol than without - and I've no moral obligation at all to INCREASE the threat to self or family by voluntarily getting into arm's reach of the threat, simply because some victim-disarmament advocate thinks it's "cowardly" to use a gun to stop a bad guy.  ;/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 12:13:48 PM »
Two wrongs, do not make a right. Why anyone would want to defend themselves, perplexes me. If someone wants to harm you, or your family, JUST LET THEM! We have laws to deal with crime after the fact, if and when the criminals are caught.

S'funny, wishes he was a fistful, I was about to quote that myself, too.  Such conceptual dysphoria!

And there's this one:

Two hands raised stands a way better chance of saving your life than a handgun ever will.

That somehow reminds me of tha critter on "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*" which was bred and raised to want to be killed and eaten, and even pointed out its own most delicious and juicy parts.

The really encouraging part of all this is that behind the scenes, at the garment-maker's factory, there are now perhaps scores of designers, seamstresses, fabric buyers,  front office receptionists, HR personnel, janitors, sewing machine operators, sales departments, etc., whose consciousness about firearms and the CCW movement is now being raised.

Terry, 230RN

* Or perhaps this was on a Dr. Who episode.  My Wayback Memory sometimes fails me a  little.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:18:57 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »
That somehow reminds me of tha critter on "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*" which was bred and raised to want to be killed and eaten, and even pointed out its own most delicious and juicy parts.
Restaurant at the end of the Universe. It was a cow. I think it even said something along the lines of "now, if you are done, I'm going out in the kitchen to shoot myself".

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
"Meet the Meat."
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
Another one...

I like these a lot less though the concept is interesting.  $150 for pants, holster not included.  Way too much for pants.  Also..  WTF is that screwy zippered pocket on the front?  Spare magazine/package enhancement pocket?

I'd like to see another version of these, less expensive, more smaller belt loops, and without the oddball front pocket.  The loops are too far apart.  These will need to be REALLY roomy in the seat so the pistol pocket doesn't split open when sitting down.

http://www.usaammo.com/Battle-Denim-Jeans-P951.aspx

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:37:06 PM by 41magsnub »

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
Blackie Collins Toters? http://totersjeans.com/
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch