Author Topic: Whiskey truly is the perfect drink.  (Read 8893 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Whiskey truly is the perfect drink.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »
I'm doing my part  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »
I would expect a brewery to generate a lot more draff than a distillery.  (I'll do my part to support both)
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
I try to be a good white person and like whiskey, but I just can't get into it. Am I doing it wrong? Should I get a certain brand, or dilute it with water, or something?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
I try to be a good white person and like whiskey, but I just can't get into it. Am I doing it wrong? Should I get a certain brand, or dilute it with water, or something?

Try Wild Turkey 101 rye whiskey.  IMHO you want something stronger than 80 proof at first because it will deaden your taste buds to the harsher notes, but the sweetness and spiciness and "heat" will still come through.  You can water it down later, when you acquire a taste for it.

I'm not there yet; I still drink my whiskey neat, or in mixed drinks.  And I don't like Scotch :(
"It's good, though..."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »
I wish I liked whiskey. I feel like I'm missing something.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:19:08 PM »
I can't stand sour mash whiskey mostly due to overindulgence in my youth. However, I'm very fond of a good Rye. Old Overholt is my favorite, though Bulleit makes a good one as well. I must acknowledge Ben's contribution to my whiskey/rye education.  =)
I also like blended Canadian whiskey, like Crown Royal or Canadian Club.

The difference between either of these and sour mash (think Jack Daniels) is tremendous. Rye and blends are delightfully smooth and I have no problem at all drinking either straight, over ice, or mixed with something.

Zahc and Sergeant Bob, I'd recommend trying Crown Royal first, rather than Turkey 101. How can one have a proper appreciation for whiskey if one has no taste buds left??
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
If I were to tell someone to try whiskey for the first time, it would be Old Overholt, on the rocks. Old Overholt is an incredibly underrated rye whiskey. It's like the Two Buck Chuck of whiskies - very cheap price, but in a blind taste test, I bet most people would rate it as a high quality whiskey. To me it tastes better than many high dollar small batch ryes.

On the rocks may be sacrilege to some, but for a first time whiskey drinker, I think drinking it cold makes it more palatable. If you decide you like whiskey, there's plenty of time to become accustomed to it and drink it neat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
Zahc and Sergeant Bob, I'd recommend trying Crown Royal first, rather than Turkey 101. How can one have a proper appreciation for whiskey if one has no taste buds left??

They grow back!  :laugh:  Seriously, looks for a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year old Bourbon.  It's cheaper than Crown Royal and it tastes better.  Another tasty one but a step down is Jim Beam rye, with the yellow label (I like rye.)
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »
I've tried to like straight hard liquor.  Just isn't going to happen; I'm not built for it.

I would expect a brewery to generate a lot more draff than a distillery.  (I'll do my part to support both)

Agreed, would think a brewery would be to go-to source for this.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
Blech.
Sprouted, dried, roasted barley with some hops, brewed into the magnificent elixir we call BEER is king.

Distilled spirits were only on-scene when ol' what's-his-name (Muslim distilation dude) figured out, well, distillation.

Y'all partake of your devil water. Purists know where it's at.

=D  
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:36 PM »
Blech.
Sprouted, dried, roasted barley with some hops, brewed into the magnificent elixir we call BEER is king.

Distilled spirits were only on-scene when ol' what's-his-name (Muslim distilation dude) figured out, well, distillation.

Y'all partake of your devil water. Purists know where it's at.

=D  

So what is a Boilermaker?   Syncretism at its worst?
"It's good, though..."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
Syncretism at it's worst? That would be religion. Different discussion; though I'm willing to oblige the debate.

Children/adherents of malted barley. Not so syncretic as you would think. And i was kidding, hence the smiley.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:07 AM »
Johnnie Walker Red is pretty good. Best with ice.

If anyone takes umbrage at the ice, well, I'm an American. I drink my pepto bismol with ice and eat my altoids with ketchup.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 12:22:35 AM »
Whiskey is good. Beer is better.

My first experience with whisky was Maker's Mark. It took a couple of whisky sours before I was able to drink it neat.
Andy

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
Whiskey is good. Beer is better.

My first experience with whisky was Maker's Mark. It took a couple of whisky sours before I was able to drink it neat.

I call no further witnesses and rest my case.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Try Wild Turkey 101 rye whiskey.  IMHO you want something stronger than 80 proof at first because it will deaden your taste buds to the harsher notes, but the sweetness and spiciness and "heat" will still come through.  You can water it down later, when you acquire a taste for it.

I'm not there yet; I still drink my whiskey neat, or in mixed drinks.  And I don't like Scotch :(

SILENCE, BLASPHEMER!!!  :laugh:

Seriously though, I don't know much about rye whiskeys - about most whiskeys, really. If you don't like the taste, Cosine's suggestion (for whiskey) of Maker's Mark and sour mix is a good one. I have not (and likely will not) do that with a single-malt, but whiskey sours are pretty good.
I've always liked Speyside single-malts Scotches (Glenfiddich, Balvenie, The Macallan, The Glenlivet are all good, even at the "base level" of 10-12 year bottles); I've tried Laphroaig and did not particularly like it, as it's very peaty (I'm given to understand that the Islay Scotches are all like that). Don't do shots - just pour a healthy drink and sit there and drink it slowly. It's for enjoying, not for downing rapidly just to get drunk.

Beer sucks. :laugh: [popcorn]

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Jamison's, Elijah Craig, Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek are all pretty palatable to me.  And yes, I know one of these is not like the others.  =D

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
In my experience (which is not inconsiderable) it is rare that a person enjoys their first taste of whiskey or any spirit, resulting in the Distillation Doctrine*. The true test is the ability to persevere through the distaste until you decide you really do like it after all.

*The Martini Corollary: This is also true of the properly prepared martini. Eventually, the icy tendrils become fire in your belly until the brain says: "Hey, that's not bad. I'll have another."
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:14 AM »
Never been a fan of bourbons.  They're OK, but not something I'll seek out or spend money on.  If it's freely offered I'll try it though.

Only tried one, maybe two rye's - can't remember which as it's been 3+ years.  I'd like to try more of them.

I do, however, have quite the taste for single male Scotch.  Best I ever tried was a single sip of and Ardbeg Provenance.  That amount represented by that sip was probably worth $50.  That almost literally made me weak in the knees it was so good.

My preferred go-to Scotch is Ardbeg's Corryvrecken bottling.  Not tooooo expensive (~$60/750ml IIRC) but really good.  Hard to find unless I get my buddy in LA to help me out.  I also quite like Tallisker 57deg North for when I want a non-peaty Scotch.  That one actually has some floral notes in the aroma and flavor.  Lots of dimensions to the flavor.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 03:28:10 AM »
Johnnie Walker Red is pretty good. Best with ice.

If anyone takes umbrage at the ice, well, I'm an American. I drink my pepto bismol with ice and eat my altoids with ketchup.

Interesting, I take better to the J.W. Red than the 12 y.o. Black Label. For some reason the Black label gives me terrible gastritis every-single-time. I wonder what's going on there.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
I like Johnny Walker red.
Johnny walker blue tasted like rubber bands, to be honest.

Favorite for sipping is Maker's Mark. 
Favorite for a night out with friends is Red Breast.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
I can't stand sour mash either, but have recently discovered Bulleit Rye and love it.  It's good neat, with ginger ale, and even Dr Pepper.

Chris

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
OK, somebody on here in the past, suggested "Makers Mark".     [barf]

That is the foulest bourbon I've ever had.........

Give me a Jim Beam Rye or Gentleman Jack.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »
To me, Crown Royal on the rocks is about the easiest sippin experience there is.  
Sour mash anything takes me back to my misspent youth - to many commode hugging mornings -felt like Jack Black *expletive deleted*it.
I've tried to like Scotch for years - still don't like it, never will most likely.
Rye whiskey is pretty good, but the flavor is pretty strong.  That can be bad or good, depends on your preferences.