Author Topic: Whiskey truly is the perfect drink.  (Read 8891 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Whiskey truly is the perfect drink.
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
I may prefer beer, but I wouldn't consider Makers Mark as "foul." What's better about Jim Beam Rye or Gentleman Jack? I haven't had either, maybe I should branch out.
Andy

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »
OK, somebody on here in the past, suggested "Makers Mark".     [barf]
That is the foulest bourbon I've ever had.........
Give me a Jim Beam Rye or Gentleman Jack.

I had Jim Beam for the first time at a bar last friday.
It was the "well whiskey"  of the night.   =D

EDIT:
As I mentioned earlier, I thought JW  Blue  tasted  awful,  so my  opinion is likely that of a pleb and not worth much :)
I did have some very fancy whisky  in a Scot's  house that was amazing, though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:58:25 PM by Pharmacology »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
Slightly off the topic at hand but I thought this was marginally interesting.

Oklahoma made vodka

http://www.twisterdistillery.com/

The local news did a piece on them this evening. Apparently the building the distillery is in has been hit by a tornado twice. God don't like vodka?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 08:22:39 AM »
I am a big fan of Bourbon Whiskey.  I have several different  brands on hand.  Buffalo Trace, Bullett, Booker, Rowan's Creek and others.  My favorite though, and one that I have been drinking for better than 40 years now, is Old Fitzgerald.  It is in limited distribution, and hard for me to find.  Recently, I made the drive from here to Atlanta (4+ hours one way) to buy all that a store had in stock.   :O

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
Any decent single malt scotch is substantially improved by a medium to medium-full 45 minute cigar.
Scotch and cigars are meant to be enjoyed together.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »
I think anything with either oak or peat marries well with a good cigar...  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »
The flavor really depends on how you do it.  Sour mash isn't as much a flavor, as a time-honored distiller's technique.

The sour "backset" or leftover slop from a distilling run is returned to the grain fermentation.

It keeps the pH consistent from lot-to-lot (makes yeast happy), and conserves water. 

The distilleries will use at minimum 25% of the backset from previous runs in subsequent batches, which creates a "Sour Mash", something they can then legally use for marketing purposes.

In the end, the flavors are a product of the master distiller's palate as he/she makes cuts between heads, hearts, and tails during the run, and then samples over time to determine the best casks to bottle or blend for sale.

That's probably why the master distiller for Jeremiah Weed gets paid less than the master distiller for Red Breast or one of the Glens.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »
Try Black Velvet as a cheaper alternative to Crown Royal if you like blended whiskey.  Very smooth.

I enjoy bourbon neat or with a cube or two.  Mattingly and Moore provides a very full bodied, aromatic sweet bourbon at rock bottom prices.  Most of the pricey bourbons are too harsh for my taste.

I am fond of Irish whisky neat or on the rocks.  There are many good brands, but I'll take my old faithful Jamison or Red Breast if I want to get spendy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
I knew you had at least one redeeming quality Grampster.  >:D
I love a wee glass of Jamison with two ice cubes. Also like blended whiskey, the Canadian's are good at that.
Still on my rye kick though.

Sour mash - the smell of it is enough to activate the gag reflex. Blech.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Promptly proceeding to my proximate purveyor of potent potables  ;), I acquired a bottle of Crown Royal Black on a whim, as well as some 80 proof Wild Turkey Rye, which I haven't had in years.

At 90 proof, the CRB is nice, having a body and character closer to American whiskies, the absence of which is my gripe with Canadian whiskies generally.

The Wild Turkey has good rye flavor and spice notes, while being too easy to drink neat.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Lee

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
I always liked the Black Velvet magazine ads. http://pacocamino.blogspot.com/2012/01/vintage-ad-black-velvet-whisky-1977.html
For some odd reason, I've not been able to get this goofy song out of my mind since reading grampster's reply.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icfq_foa5Mo

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »
Thanks for the ear bug, Lee. :facepalm: =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
Well, well Mrs. Smith.  For a wee tad of a girl you have good taste in whisky, Irish whisky that is. =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
"Mighty, mighty pleasin', Pappy's corn squeezin's..."
"It's good, though..."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
She ain't sampled my corn squeezin's, otherwise she'd sing a different tune re: sour mash.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 10:55:52 PM »
I think anything with either oak or peat marries well with a good cigar...  :)

I'm a fan of the Islay peat-monsters myself.

Even better, you acquire that taste,  and the pool of folks who might pilfer your stash is quite limited.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:04 AM »
Being clean and sober, I no longer drink.
However, I recall that drinking 50 plus year old Whiskey was extremely pleasurable, if you're having a hard time enjoying Whiskey I advise you to find some really, really old stuff, probably very expensive but worth it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
I may prefer beer, but I wouldn't consider Makers Mark as "foul." What's better about Jim Beam Rye or Gentleman Jack? I haven't had either, maybe I should branch out.

A lot smoother, without the bite.

I second the Crown Royal as well............
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
Back when I started my foray into "better" whiskies (i.e., better than the JD I drank in High School), Maker's Mark was the first "good" whiskey I started with. I hardly ever drink it anymore, but I see nothing wrong with it as a starter whiskey for those working their way into small batch stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »
Makers Mark is decent, not the best out there but it's FAR from the bottom.

Though they are monkeying with the product. New batches will go out with 3% less ABV, which doesn't sound like much until you consider that just means an additional 3% water added to the final product being bottled. Not that I care much about alcohol content, but any time a recipe is monkeyed with and claims of "we're watering it down but it'll taste just the same!"...well color me skeptical.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »
Sour mash - the smell of it is enough to activate the gag reflex. Blech.
Here, and I thought we could friends... Wait a tick, this means we won't be competing for the same hooch!  All is forgiven.

After an absolutely disastrous experience as a youngster with Bacardi 151proof, as in, my only ever blackout/memory loss alcohol poisoning, I never thought I would enjoy rum.  Was wrong.  It won't displace good bourbon or sourmash, but really good Jamaican (Edwin Charley's) is, well, really good.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »
OK, somebody on here in the past, suggested "Makers Mark".     

That is the foulest bourbon I've ever had.........

Your taste buds must be messed up!   =D

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Well, well Mrs. Smith.  For a wee tad of a girl you have good taste in whisky, Irish whisky that is. =D

:angel: I haven't done too much experimenting with Irish Whiskeys. Jameson works for me so no need to look for better! Had Bushmills, but apparently it wasn't memorable.

Here, and I thought we could friends... Wait a tick, this means we won't be competing for the same hooch!  All is forgiven.

After an absolutely disastrous experience as a youngster with Bacardi 151proof, as in, my only ever blackout/memory loss alcohol poisoning, I never thought I would enjoy rum.  Was wrong.  It won't displace good bourbon or sourmash, but really good Jamaican (Edwin Charley's) is, well, really good.

That's exactly the sentiment I have toward the odd person who doesn't like bacon: I don't have to share! With regard to rum, you should give Mount Gay rum (original) a try. Very smooth, excellent flavor. Bahamian, IIRC. Also, Angostura (same company that makes bitters) makes a pretty amazing rum, 1824 I think, that's a blend of various rums, extremely limited editions.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
:angel: I haven't done too much experimenting with Irish Whiskeys. Jameson works for me so no need to look for better! Had Bushmills, but apparently it wasn't memorable.

That's exactly the sentiment I have toward the odd person who doesn't like bacon: I don't have to share! With regard to rum, you should give Mount Gay rum (original) a try. Very smooth, excellent flavor. Bahamian, IIRC. Also, Angostura (same company that makes bitters) makes a pretty amazing rum, 1824 I think, that's a blend of various rums, extremely limited editions.

Mount Gay is produced in Barbados. It is also delicious, and, incidentally, my base liquor for macerating fruit when baking fruitcakes.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch