Author Topic: Whiskey truly is the perfect drink.  (Read 8892 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: Whiskey truly is the perfect drink.
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
If one is mixing rum with coke and lime, I pretty much don't mind lower shelf.  Mixing any good booze with foreign objects like carbonated stuff, don't do it.  The cheap stuff is ok.

Good stuff should be neat or a tad of water or ice.

I like Pyrat rum neat.  I like its bouquet and it's taste.

Ice cold Tito's vodka from he freezer in a glass from the freezer is terrific sippin' neat.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

erictank

• friends
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
If one is mixing rum with coke and lime, I pretty much don't mind lower shelf.  Mixing any good booze with foreign objects like carbonated stuff, don't do it.  The cheap stuff is ok.

Good stuff should be neat or a tad of water or ice.

I like Pyrat rum neat.  I like its bouquet and it's taste.

Ice cold Tito's vodka from he freezer in a glass from the freezer is terrific sippin' neat.

No need to waste the good stuff by mixing. I won't mix any of my Scotch (but will use the sour mix experimenting with the rye whiskey I picked up last week, I think).

Can't find Pyrat around here, but Appleton's Reserve (? - the 12-year-old dark stuff) is absolutely delicious.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
Mount Gay is produced in Barbados. It is also delicious, and, incidentally, my base liquor for macerating fruit when baking fruitcakes.

I knew it was one of those "B" islands.  =D

Can I be on your fruitcake mailing list???
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Great.

Now the favorite "Makers Mark", is lowering the proof, 'cause they can't fulfill orders fast enough.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »
Great.

Now the favorite "Makers Mark", is lowering the proof, 'cause they can't fulfill orders fast enough.

:mad:

This is why I haven't purchased any Jack Daniels in a number of years. Make less of the same historical quality, and raise the damn price. Don't change the recipe or sell me a smaller weight at the same price and think I'm just going to take it like a dipsomaniac sheep sucking a mechanical nipple at my place in line. Part of my brain isn't yet completely sotted, and still able to see through the marketing BS.

:mad:

ETA: I may just resign my MM Ambassadorship in futile protest.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:07:30 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »
I knew it was one of those "B" islands.  =D

Can I be on your fruitcake mailing list???

When I feel festive enough to bake another batch, it could happen. Afraid I may have fully rounded curmudgeon corner, as my post above gently intimates. ;)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »
Being curmudgeonly and baking fruitcake don't have to be separate endeavors. I'm not so proud as to not eat a curmudgeonly cake.  =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
Being curmudgeonly and baking fruitcake don't have to be separate endeavors. I'm not so proud as to not eat a curmudgeonly cake.  =D

Understood. But it is an expensive, time-intensive labor of love. This requires caring sufficiently about the world and/or some of its occupants to put forth the effort, not typically the province of the true curmudgeon. If I make it to that place, fruitcake is a possible result. Of course, I am a disciple of the gospel of fruitcake, and inclined to proselytize, so we'll see.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
I know folks around here prep for end times and all that, and fruitcake does have an impressive shelf life, but I just want to say I'm glad he doesn't put proper whiskey in there. That would make the Baby Jesus cry.  =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »
I know folks around here prep for end times and all that, and fruitcake does have an impressive shelf life, but I just want to say I'm glad he doesn't put proper whiskey in there. That would make the Baby Jesus cry.  =(

Rum and brandy only, thank you. I learned long ago that "proper" whiskey is exclusively for drinking. If it's a real apocalyptic emergency and I have to clean a wound or something, I'll use fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
I'm having my last drink until Easter: three fingers of Willett Reserve pot still Bourbon.  Unless I decide to have a beer chaser.  Sipping the whiskey nice and slow, and enjoying the aroma as much as the warmth and the flavor...
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 11:43:43 PM »
Picked up a 16-year old Lagavulin from Costco today and am trying it right now. Never tried a peaty whiskey before. Very interesting, very smoky. This would go really well with a cigar. To just sip by itself, I think I like the Kirkland Speyside I picked up a couple of weeks ago better. But yeah, this would make an excellent cigar whiskey.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."