Author Topic: Whiny kids  (Read 2559 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Whiny kids
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
Some kids are complaining about their school lunch.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/05/students-fed-up-with-michelle-obamas-school-lunch-overhaul-menu-item-snapshots-spell-out-why/

I'm no expert on pediatric nutrition. What do you lot think?

Also, how much of this is that Michelle chick's fault? Ya know, Big Arms.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Whiny kids
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »
And where did she get her degree in Childhood Nutrition from?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure she got help from all the doctor and nutritionists on the .gov payroll.

Having been put on a "healthy diet" recently (even if it is 3,077 kCal) I can tell you that it still pretty much sux.  Between restricting carbs and keeping under 1,000 mg sodium the words "bland" and "unappetizing-looking" trip off my tongue quite readily - as opposed to, for instance, "tasty".  So far (35 days in) I am averaging less than 2,500 kCal by filling up on vegetables.  (Pro tip - cruciform veggies should not play a prominent role in large bulk/low calorie selections regaredless of how much your nutritionist recommended them.  Pro tip #2 - a consult with the nutritionist after following the recopmmendation of cruciform veggies can assist in changing that recommendation - although I was afraid I might be banned from the VAMC.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michelle-obama-touted-federal-healthy-lunch-program-leaves-bad-taste-in-some-school-districts-mouths/
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/6/1m-kids-stop-school-lunch-due-michelle-obamas-stan/?page=all
http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/660427.pdf

I remember in school that the food was generally worse than prison quality. Plenty of kids actually wanted to eat healthy, but the options were bad. As I recall, most folks packed lunch except for the two days per food cycle that served actual decent food. Generally, the food was not fresh, the ingredients didn't seem to be high quality, the food wasn't well made and the temperature controls were subpar. Packaged food/drinks were preferred. Such as drinks, fruit cups, etc.

Captive audience combined with inefficiency bureaucracy. As long as the cafeteria didn't lose money, no one seemed to care.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
I remember in school that the food was generally worse than prison quality.

NO

unless you are talking about what the guards eat   or maybe an elgin afb type facility
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
I remember in school that the food was generally worse than prison quality.

NO

unless you are talking about what the guards eat   or maybe an elgin afb type facility

Mmmmm! Love me some powdered eggs! spent a grand total of 2 days minimum security
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure she got help from all the doctor and nutritionists on the .gov payroll.

Having been put on a "healthy diet" recently (even if it is 3,077 kCal) I can tell you that it still pretty much sux.  Between restricting carbs and keeping under 1,000 mg sodium the words "bland" and "unappetizing-looking" trip off my tongue quite readily - as opposed to, for instance, "tasty".  So far (35 days in) I am averaging less than 2,500 kCal by filling up on vegetables.  (Pro tip - cruciform veggies should not play a prominent role in large bulk/low calorie selections regaredless of how much your nutritionist recommended them.  Pro tip #2 - a consult with the nutritionist after following the recopmmendation of cruciform veggies can assist in changing that recommendation - although I was afraid I might be banned from the VAMC.)

stay safe.

So you're supposed to be eating 3,077,000 calories, but are only managing 2,500,000? Still pretty impressive.  ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Whiny kids
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
Mmmmm! Love me some powdered eggs! spent a grand total of 2 days minimum security

Get em in chow hall or room service on a tray

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
Prescription for a healthy diet: If it tastes good, spit it out.

In high school, there was a "fast food" line selling hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled, cheese, etc., and the "full meal line" serving slop, sludge, and gruel. Guess which line got well over 95% of the business?

Yet the school was still required to have enough "full meals" to serve the student body, which meant massive waste.

But suppliers still got paid . . . which of course was the real point.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
So you're supposed to be eating 3,077,000 calories, but are only managing 2,500,000? Still pretty impressive.  ;)
Nutritional energy in this country is typically expressed in large calories which are equivalent to one thousand small calories, so va's use of kilocalorie is correct.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
Prescription for a healthy diet: If it tastes good, spit it out.

In high school, there was a "fast food" line selling hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled, cheese, etc., and the "full meal line" serving slop, sludge, and gruel. Guess which line got well over 95% of the business?

Yet the school was still required to have enough "full meals" to serve the student body, which meant massive waste.

But suppliers still got paid . . . which of course was the real point.

Similar deal, except both lines did halfway decent, as all but the french fries on the "fast food" side was crap and the regular food had some good days to offset the bad ones.

But, man, I swear the sprinkled those fries with crack.

My middle school had a salad bar. It cost three times as much as the standard school lunch, but did brisk business.
I always figured that if my HS and MS lunch ladys joined forces, I would be in food heaven.

My issues with these "nutritional" lunches is that they are one size fits all for a health issue that is very induvidial and especially at that age group.
The lean, athletic boys I went to school with would have starved to death on those servings, much less the boys with the bigger builds who were mid growth spurt.
As far as nutrition, well, I saw white bread and not nearly enough veggies and fruit. IMHO, nutritional meals involve a heck of a lot more then just cutting serving sizes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
Nutritional energy in this country is typically expressed in large calories which are equivalent to one thousand small calories, so va's use of kilocalorie is correct.

Not sure if serious? Isn't a calorie the amount of energy needed to raise a lb of water one degree? So if each nutritional calorie is actually kcal, then a small snack with 100 calories would heat 100,000 lbs of water?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Not sure if serious? Isn't a calorie the amount of energy needed to raise a lb of water one degree? So if each nutritional calorie is actually kcal, then a small snack with 100 calories would heat 100,000 lbs of water?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie
The name calorie is used for two units of energy.

The small calorie or gram calorie (symbol: cal) is the approximate amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.[1]
The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie, nutritionist's calorie, nutritional calorie, Calorie (capital C)[citation needed] or food calorie (symbol: Cal, equiv: kcal) is approximately the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The large calorie is thus equal to 1000 small calories or one kilocalorie (symbol: kcal).[1]

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
Well, I learned something new today. Thanks.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »
Well, I learned something new today. Thanks.

See, Michelle is teaching us all wonderful new things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife