Author Topic: Whiskey and Girl Scout Cookies  (Read 1790 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Whiskey and Girl Scout Cookies
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
Well, here's a new one on me. Which I'll probably try when the Girl Scouts come a knockin'.  :laugh:

Though I did notice they committed the faux pas of lumping rye in with bourbon.

http://gobourbon.com/bourbon-girl-scout-cookie-pairings/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Whiskey and Girl Scout Cookies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
My first thought seeing the title was "you sure you are posting on the correct web site?"   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
My first thought seeing the title was "you sure you are posting on the correct web site?"   =D

I'm only posting on the wrong site if I open my front door in my untied bathrobe.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:55:53 PM »
Speaking of which, I wonder if she has any sisters at home:

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/01/28/why-whiskey-is-better-purchased-with-a-wingman/

When one has indoor plumbing some things are simply better purchased with a wingman. Not the proverbial “wingman,” but an oversized, fortified male accompanying the said female in procurement of goods, minimizing her mocking for sheer amusement of purveyor staff.

In my experience these purchases include fast cars, Cuban cigars in Paris (Churchills not cigarillos), and high-end spirits. Never have I been so unabashedly snickered at as when inquiring about whiskey.

It all started four years ago. My husband was having a major birthday and I desired a distinctive offering. I thought about a really ripe Cabernet Franc (his favorite) but we already had enough garnet-hued libations in the basement. Collecting red wine involved more babysitting and added expense than initially anticipated.  It’s an indulgence requiring quick consumption after opening as it begins to decline soon after. And wine has obstinate storage needs. If you have something special waiting to peak, it can easily become soured in less than ideal conditions.
My husband is incredibly difficult to buy for and rarely gets excited about anything—the only downside to his even keel. Before he was into wine, he really enjoyed whiskey, which was at the time absent from the liquor cabinet. I began my internet search for a spirit to parallel a major birthday for such a man and came across the annual “spirit” awards (as in alcohol, not cheerleaders).

The mentioned imported whiskeys (spelled “whiskies” in Scotland, Canada and Japan) were the Scotch and Irish bottlings, Canadian and, surprisingly, some Japanese. There were several standouts, but no solitary bottle that prompted a Hallelujah. So I headed to the American offerings in which one bourbon (we’ll get to a whiskey/bourbon comparison in a sec) won seven notable awards in 2010 and a score of 97 points by Wine Enthusiast. That bottle was the 20-year Pappy Van Winkle, referred to by loyal devotees as “Pappy.”

That solitary distilled spirit commandeered recommendations and reviews from every possible venue: lowly college kids that accidentally found a bottle hiding in the local liquor store to chefs in Manhattan to bourbon gurus in Kentucky. The 20-year Pappy seemed the overwhelmingly obvious choice, and I was relieved to find my husband’s soon-to-be birthday gift.

Then came the crushing reality. I was tremendously naïve regarding process acquisition of the illusive “Pappy.” There were thousands of folks (generally men) on wait lists across the country trying to land a bottle, and no respectable liquor store in Maryland was willing to sell to some girl wanna-be whiskey connoisseur sans wingman. The fact that shipping alcohol to Maryland was illegal at the time only upped the ante.

Three weeks later the exchange took place. Within arm’s reach was not one, but two bottles of Pappy Van Winkle in trademark velvet bottle sleeves. I had managed to talk an unnamed someone out of both a 15-year and a 20-year Pappy for the agreed price of $500. My blue-collar background objected via inner dialogue but was snuffed out the second I cradled that plain brown box in my arms. I had closed on a Hail Mary, securing honorary sainthood among future generations of American wives.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
Well, here's a new one on me. Which I'll probably try when the Girl Scouts come a knockin'.  :laugh:

Well, if you get tired of waiting for the knockers, Walmart has a credible rendition of the Peanut Butter Patties and the Caramel Delites.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:13 PM »
Well, if you get tired of waiting for the knockers, Walmart has a credible rendition of the Peanut Butter Patties and the Caramel Delites.

Damn you for telling me that!  :laugh:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
Damn you for telling me that!  :laugh:

Will it make it better if I mention that they're only about $2 a pack    >:D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
And Lornra Doones are what Shortbreads are trying to be.