Author Topic: White Cloud yard police put man in jail  (Read 1508 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
White Cloud yard police put man in jail
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »
Man jailed for being "noncompliant" with the yard police.
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6725421

White Cloud yard police put man in jail

Updated: June 29, 2007 08:50 AM

By PATRICK CENTER

WHITE CLOUD -- A Newaygo County man could spend another weekend behind bars if he doesn't take care of his yard.

David Burch says he tried to seed the yard last fall but it wouldn't take root. This all stems from a contractor who failed to sod the yard in the first place. Now a judge is saying, do the yard or do the time.

"The people who work at the court, at the jail, thought it was funny," Burch said. "They said there had to be more. I said, 'No, it's just because I don't have grass growing.' They said, 'You're in here for that?'"

He claims he is not skirting the law. Burch said the contractor for his new house is responsible for the lawn. But a White Cloud city ordinance states otherwise.

"This has been in the courts for over a year," said White Cloud Police Chief Roger Ungrey. "I believe Mr. Burch has made an attempt. He did bring me in some receipts for grass seed."

But when it didn't grow, a county judge ordered the yard planted. It never happened. Again this April - no sprouts. Then, in jail, an inspiration. Burch is sodding his yard with donated turf.

"He has been working on it," Ungrey said. "However, he remains to this day noncompliant."

That is because the backyard must also be green.

But will the patchwork sod qualify as a lawn? "It's not your normal sod that you would have, that you would go to a sod farm and purchase," Ungrey told 24 Hour News 8. "So that remains to be seen. I can't answer that question."

Burch was back in court Thursday. The judge told him he has two weeks to complete the job. If not, it's another weekend back in jail.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: White Cloud yard police put man in jail
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
Serves him right!  He should have known the legal consequences of his negligence relating to yard work!

<----  Yard Police  police

Ha! Beat El T to it!

onions!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:48:45 AM »
Ya know,that guy might be Grampster.He's from that area.

angel

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:08:33 PM »
Ho ho ho.  You wish.  The Grampster's Keep has a yard that would put El Tejon into the throes of envy.  Rog Ungrey, the police chief in White Cloud, is an old friend of mine.  Probably see him at dinner in Croton tonight.  If so I'm going to rib him about making news on the innertube.

You must have grass in your yard in White Cloud.  You don't need teeth in your mouth, however...or shower at reasonable intervals.  heh. grin

In fact, the young pickpocket that got the snot kicked out of him by a 72 year old ex marine and ironworker lived up here in Newaygo county.  I think there is a video going around on Youtube.  Gene pool is somewhat suspect in certain regions nearby.  laugh

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
Freakin code Nazis.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 12:58:54 AM »
It seems the folks who run White Cloud don't have enough to do.  Perhaps the voters should make a note of it.

Can you imagine the trouble he'd be in if he were growing vegetables?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 03:31:35 AM »
So he can spend his weekends doing yard work or sitting in jail ...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 04:27:34 AM »

Where is the paint.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 06:43:09 AM »
With different kinds of grass, you could probably spell something...

Will kudzu grow there?

Blog under construction

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »
With different kinds of grass, you could probably spell something...

Will kudzu grow there?

You're evil.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 04:57:21 PM »

Where is the paint.

My thoughts exactly.  I'd practically be willing to sit in jail every weekend rather than do lawnwork...

edit:  Second, nastier thought:  Roundup to some of the other lawns of parties in this fiasco.

jselvy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 02:52:55 AM »
Is it just me or is this a totally ridiculous use of police and judicial power?

Jefferson

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 04:11:44 AM »

Jefferson

Its not just you, but I suspect there is a little more going on than is being stated. Usually these kind of situations are portrayed in a very one sided way by press reports.

There was a guy in this area who got fined pretty seriously for not having grass. The paper made a big deal about it, and he claimed he was doing some kind of wild bird sanctuary and the lack of grass was supposed to facilitate native plant growth. But, he was also causing serious mud problems for his neighbors as he was up on a slope and mud from where his grass wasn't would go down the hill into other people's yards. They were the ones making the biggest noise about it.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 03:56:46 PM »

Jefferson
It is not just you ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »
Some round up on the judge's yard sounds like a neat idea. 

It would be interesting to see the whole story on this. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge