Author Topic: Sierra Bullets on the .22lr shortage  (Read 13191 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Sierra Bullets on the .22lr shortage
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/why-cant-i-find-22-lr-ammunition/

Echoes what I and others have said on here. Depressing to think how long it will most likely take to get back to where it used to be.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Sierra Bullets on the .22lr shortage
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »

.22lr is expensive game to get into. I concur with what they said. However, it is possible to expand production. Not enough to suddenly fill hoardingfest, but enough to reduce the interval of undersupply. I hope a couple of the companies review the numbers and find it profitable to put in additional manufacturing capacity, rather than "We'll make what we make, and charge whatever we can."

Granted, that's capitalism. Sorta. It does get a bit distorted due to the amount of regulation on both production and importation. Still, I respect taking a profitable conservative approach. I also hope that enlightened self-interest gets folks cranking out more rounds.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »
“Why can’t I find any .22 LR ammo anywhere?”

You can find .22LR ammo without too much difficulty, but what's widely available is high-end stuff like Eley for 14+ cents/round.

Cabelas has CCI/Speer .22LR in stock as I type this, but they limit sales to 50 rounds per person per day.  Unless you have a store nearby, it's not worth the trouble.

A faint ray of sunlight: prices have been gradually easing over the past week or two.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »

All of the above.

I've got a pretty good supply bought long before the shortage, but I've pretty much given up shooting more than about six rounds at a time because I can't replace it.

And I'm 60 miles / 1.5 hours from town  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
i'm hoping that the gougers have wharehouses full of the stuff, and take a deep bath when the shelves do fill again!  

eta:  likely a portion of the problem, that wasn't touched on, is that more people are shooting .22 as the price of centerfire continues to go up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:41:22 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »
.22lr is expensive game to get into. I concur with what they said. However, it is possible to expand production. Not enough to suddenly fill hoardingfest, but enough to reduce the interval of undersupply. I hope a couple of the companies review the numbers and find it profitable to put in additional manufacturing capacity, rather than "We'll make what we make, and charge whatever we can."

I've already heard of two companies expanding their capacity. If I remember right, one of them is Remington, which is supposed to be building a new plant somewhere.

What I would really like to see, once supply and demand even up a bit, is stores like K-Mart or Sears or Target getting back into the ammo business. With enough perceived demand, it could happen.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:23:52 AM »
.223 is back to glut, local shop covered up in it, no purchase restrictions. Wishing .22 gets there soon. And Varget, 4895, and Titegroup. I'm buying all of it. :)
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
THOSE LYING BASTARDS!!!

THE MAN HAS GOTTEN TO THEM! GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNN TO THEM!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
What's interesting is how the low end ammo demand also restricts the exotic stuff.
For a while, it was extremely tough to find large magnum rifle primers, and the large caliber/slow burn/high energy powders (N560/570, retumbo, 4831SC, etc)...fungibility of raw materials I guess, better for those companies to divert raw material and mfg to higher demand powders/primers (since magnum and regular LR primers vary only in composition, and all powders start from the same raw materials) than the lower demand stuff.

Fortunately, I had the lucky/unlucky aspect of having no time to reload and shoot due to work combined with having a pretty good inventory of components already.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
i'm hoping that the gougers have wharehouses full of the stuff, and take a deep bath when the shelves do fill again!  

eta:  likely a portion of the problem, that wasn't touched on, is that more people are shooting .22 as the price of centerfire continues to go up.
This.  I would rather see the manufacturers raise their prices.  If they make more profit, it would encourage more production.  Gougers camping out at stores to buy up everything they get in doesn't help anyone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
Granted, it's just data from their web-crawler bot, but this is interesting.

At least the graphs seem to be moving in the right direction. (Scroll to the bottom of the page, the graph is interactive and can be clicked on)

http://www.ammospy.net/
I promise not to duck.

harveydane

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
Granted, it's just data from their web-crawler bot, but this is interesting.

At least the graphs seem to be moving in the right direction. (Scroll to the bottom of the page, the graph is interactive and can be clicked on)

http://www.ammospy.net/

Hello guys.  I am the owner of AmmoSpy.  Just wanted to give some more information on the trending graphs.  They are calculated based on the data that our crawler pulls from online ammo retailers.  So while this availability may not be reflected at your local Walmart, it does give you a general idea of how the market is trending.  The graph updates everyday at 12PM EST with the data gathered from the previous day.  Hope that helps.

Being the owner of the site, I have been watching the 22lr very closely and while it appears more and more ammo is becoming available the average price per round is still hovering around 14 to 15 cents.  With 6 to 8 cent per round popping up here and there (for only a couple minutes) from Cabelas mostly and a couple other retailers every now and then.  That being said, its still going to be a long time before we ever see 4 and 5 cents per round readily available In my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:37:30 AM by harveydane »

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
Via gunbot, I get alerts most every day for 4 cents a round on Remington thunderbolts from Cabelas. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
Having some experience with manufacturing, I can only imagine the expense for uber-specialized tooling and manufacturing process needed to begin rimfire production from scratch.  You'd hafta move a lot of boxes to cover that kind of investment.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

harveydane

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Via gunbot, I get alerts most every day for 4 cents a round on Remington thunderbolts from Cabelas. 

Yes, we also have email alerts available.  Onsite alerts system should be live within the week and will be far superior to gunbots system. :P

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
Having some experience with manufacturing, I can only imagine the expense for uber-specialized tooling and manufacturing process needed to begin rimfire production from scratch.  You'd hafta move a lot of boxes to cover that kind of investment.

Brad

Yep. Even the manufacture of the machines needed to manufacture ammunition takes quite awhile.

But try explaining that to "Timmy Thumbsuck, intardnet ranter" who KNOWS, because he's talked to people who know!, that these companies are sandbagging production and sending it all to secret government warehouses.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
Hello guys.  I am the owner of AmmoSpy.  Just wanted to give some more information on the trending graphs.  They are calculated based on the data that our crawler pulls from online ammo retailers.  So while this availability may not be reflected at your local Walmart, it does give you a general idea of how the market is trending.  The graph updates everyday at 12PM EST with the data gathered from the previous day.  Hope that helps.

Being the owner of the site, I have been watching the 22lr very closely and while it appears more and more ammo is becoming available the average price per round is still hovering around 14 to 15 cents.  With 6 to 8 cent per round popping up here and there (for only a couple minutes) from Cabelas mostly and a couple other retailers every now and then.  That being said, its still going to be a long time before we ever see 4 and 5 cents per round readily available In my opinion.

Welcome aboard. Google alerts for mention of your website I presume? In any case, glad you could stop in.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

I do want to say your site is very comprehensive, and just the clickable graphs alone are really handy.  =)
I promise not to duck.

harveydane

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
I do want to say your site is very comprehensive, and just the clickable graphs alone are really handy.  =)

Thanks for the kind words.  We are working hard to make the best online ammo search engine out there. :)

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
Nice site, HD. Clear, quick, easy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Welcome aboard. Google alerts for mention of your website I presume? In any case, glad you could stop in.

Could also be trackback from a number of clicks directly from this thread. Either way, welcome aboard, Mr. Harvey.

I'll compliment your website as well. I'm quite impressed with the ease of use. I'll be stopping by again, to be sure.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

harveydane

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »

Yeah I keep my google analytics up all day and saw a referral come from here so I decided to check you guys out :).  Looks like a nice board you got here.  Ill be sticking around.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
Yeah I keep my google analytics up all day and saw a referral come from here so I decided to check you guys out :).  Looks like a nice board you got here.  Ill be sticking around.

New guys buy ammo and beer.

I'll take .22lr, please.  :laugh:

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
. . . I would rather see the manufacturers raise their prices . . .
Rest assured, this wish WILL be granted.

Funny, though, how BIG retailers that used to move a LOT of product routinely got PALLETS of .22lr (such as Federal bulk packs) are now unable to get more than a case or so in each shipment, despite massive production efforts by the ammo companies . . . and the smaller retailers aren't able to get any at all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
Yeah I keep my google analytics up all day and saw a referral come from here so I decided to check you guys out :).  Looks like a nice board you got here.   Ill be sticking around.

We've got you fooled  >:D   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin