Author Topic: Sierra Bullets on the .22lr shortage  (Read 13192 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Sierra Bullets on the .22lr shortage
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
Rest assured, this wish WILL be granted.

Funny, though, how BIG retailers that used to move a LOT of product routinely got PALLETS of .22lr (such as Federal bulk packs) are now unable to get more than a case or so in each shipment, despite massive production efforts by the ammo companies . . . and the smaller retailers aren't able to get any at all.

That's not really all that odd. Did you read the numbers listed in the linked article?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 04:41:47 PM »
Yeah I keep my google analytics up all day and saw a referral come from here so I decided to check you guys out :).  Looks like a nice board you got here.  Ill be sticking around.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
Rest assured, this wish WILL be granted.

Funny, though, how BIG retailers that used to move a LOT of product routinely got PALLETS of .22lr (such as Federal bulk packs) are now unable to get more than a case or so in each shipment, despite massive production efforts by the ammo companies . . . and the smaller retailers aren't able to get any at all.

They never got "Pallets" of 22LR (unless they were going to a have a sale or special), most stores usually only carried what was on the shelves and replaced as purchased. 

Think about it.  How many boxes of .22LR did you buy a year before all this crap started?  One ?  Maybe Three or Four? (If you have and or taught kids to shoot), but otherwise not many, if any.

Once the price of non-rimfire started rise and people wanted to practice (or do an Appleseed, for example), 22LR became even more popular than it had been.  Then comes December 2012 and everything goes nuts.  Any and all ammo flies off the shelves.   Guys who only bought a box or two at their LGS or Bigbox store on their way to the range and maybe only had a couple of half full boxes of ammo at home, were (and still are) buying just about everything they can lay their hands on and hoarding.  The other problem are the "gougers" (hey, it's capitalism, if A and B agree to price, then I can't complain).  Guys who know when the trucks come in, grab all they can before or when it hits the shelves, then turn around and sell at Gun shows and On-line for a mark-up. 

But yes, at some point the market will correct and I am ever so confident that those that have built ammo forts will find themselves to be like those that bought $3000 AR's and $800 lowers, thinking that the price would only go up. 

It will take longer for that second correction to happen simply because ammo is a consumable and rifles/lowers are durable goods.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
They never got "Pallets" of 22LR (unless they were going to a have a sale or special), most stores usually only carried what was on the shelves and replaced as purchased . . .
So you're saying the guy at Cabela's lied to me . . . OK.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
I found an amazing new source secret for .22s fully in stock! .22 ammo!

=D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
So you're saying the guy at Cabela's lied to me . . . OK.

Cabelas is about the only exception. Mind you, their "store" is the size of most malls.

Most stores order by the cases. They might arrive on a pallet, but it'd be all the cases of the various calibers. Maybe if they got a really special deal they might get a pallet.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
Think about it.  How many boxes of .22LR did you buy a year before all this crap started?  One ?  Maybe Three or Four?

Probably a couple 550 boxes every two months or so.  I tried to buy twice what I was shooting.  So 10 or 12 boxes or 5K rounds a year.

I dunno about pallets, but Big R used to have big piles of the Federal "red" bricks (500) stacked up on the floor.  Last time I was in there, they had maybe 10 boxes of 50 behind the counter  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Cabelas is about the only exception. Mind you, their "store" is the size of most malls.

Most stores order by the cases. They might arrive on a pallet, but it'd be all the cases of the various calibers. Maybe if they got a really special deal they might get a pallet.

Back around 2008, when 22lr was experiencing the first jump in price, my local Wal-Mart mistakenly ordered 5000 value packs instead of 50.  That gives you an idea of what a store like Walmart typically orders.

I bought a lot back then at $15/box, wish I had bought 3x what I did.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
Think about it.  How many boxes of .22LR did you buy a year before all this crap started?  One ?  Maybe Three or Four? (If you have and or taught kids to shoot), but otherwise not many, if any.

I always bought 4 bricks every spring because that is what I shot in a year.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »

QFT.

Most LGS and Wal-marts would order maybe 3 or 4 flats of .22LR per week.   mtnbkr's example of 50 is 5 flats.  IIRC from when we shipped a pallet of .22 from CMP to the Alaska Boy Scouts (for their summer camp), it had 3 .5 or 4 layers of 12 flats each, and we had to downstack a couple of flats because it made the back tires of the forklift come off the ground.   So Cabela's moving 2-3 pallets per week would not be unreasonable.  Billy Bob's House o' Gunz, maybe a flat or two.  Wal-Mart/Large Hill of the Male Goose/etc. (depending where) 3-10 flats per week.

Probably 70+% of the members of my club would stop at Wal-mart/House o' Gunz/Large Hill of the Male Goose on their way to shoot there.  The other 30% either reloaded or still had leftovers from their previous trips.  Hardly anyone hoarded or stockpiled.  Why?  It was always there, on the shelves, just waiting for you to grab a box.  Plus, it was the salad days.  It was cheap.  The Iron Curtain had fallen, the commies needed hard currency and so emptied out all their warehouses filled with guns and ammo  ($19 Mosins and $39 SKS's, spam cans of 7.62x39 for $20), life was great.  Same with US cailbers.  All that ammo we had stockpiled in Europe, most of the ASP's closed, and that stuff had to go somewhere.  The military was shrinking, "we" didn't need all that excess ammo, plus it costs money to store it.  You could shoot all day, everyday, for less then what you would spend on breakfast for a family of four at MickeyD's.   

Those days are over, and sadly, they are not coming back.  Will ammo prices fall?  Yes, but not to pre-panic levels.  The cost of materials alone has gone up, plus transportation costs.   Figure it will stabilize at about 1/3 over what it was pre-panic (around $30 a box of 550-ish.)   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 12:59:39 AM »

This Gander Mountain has some pallets of .22 LR - a whole row of them. I'm told they've been selling .22 like this for a week, now. A WEEK, and they haven't run out.  :O

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
a pallet of 22LR showed up - no limits, come and get it first come, first served till it runs out

Battle Born Arms on Facebook.

I gotta check this GS more often.  Too bad it's way on the other side of town.  Hmmmm... There is a Mex food place across the street from them that I like...

https://www.facebook.com/battlebornarms
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »
Via gunbot, I get alerts most every day for 4 cents a round on Remington thunderbolts from Cabelas. 

Yeah, but how much is that per round that actually fires?   ;) 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »
The thunderbolts will reduce price/pressure on the other brands. For the gunnies that don't live/breathe/eat gun-internet forums, email alerts, blogs, and Facebook, and know their rep is less than 100%.

And I'll grant they ARE better than the Golden Bullet buckets. I've actually gone through little 50 count matchbox bricks of Thunderbolt and not had any misfires.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 01:04:33 AM »
I found out about the crappy bulk Remington rimfire the old-fashioned way.  That's what has made me jaded against the stuff.

However, I will give high marks to the rimfire I usually buy at Farm & Fleet, which is the Remington-Eley Target Rifle.

It ran tight groups from my FrankenRuger 10/22 HBAR, and was relatively cheap before The Troubles, so I bought a goodly stash at the time.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 01:10:14 AM »
I will add that I too have found Federal bulk packs to be the most reliable of commodity 22LR ammo.  My 10/22, Buckmark and MKII love them, and I have much lower failure rates then with Remington or CCI Blazer (which is absolute crap).  I've found Winchester to be slightly worse then Federal, but not nearly as bad as the aforementioned.

Before the ammunition supply shortages (aka, demand overages), I filled a 30 cal ammo can with loose Federal bulk pack ammo.  I'm glad I did, and I'll probably fill another one if the market ever stabilizes.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2014, 02:25:36 AM »
I'm not the .22 expert, but I have shot enough of it to break my Marvel conversion. And when the 5K case lasts 3 weeks, you buy a lot. I have good reason to despise the bulk pack crap. I like hitting what I shoot at. Even had bad times with mid-grade Federal Gold Target. So I buy by brand which indicates mostly to me the priming process. Which is why I love Aguila .22. Eley priming system. Never had a problem with CCI of any flavor. I'm pretty sure that based on smell and the hecho in Mexico that the now discontinued PMC .22 was made by Aguila and thus eley primed. Loved that stuff, $90/5K and my 25yd off-hand pistol grouped at least as tight as something like CCI green tag.

Never had an issue with CCI Blazer, haven't shot it in 5-6 years though. Has it changed?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 11:18:37 AM »
I will add that I too have found Federal bulk packs to be the most reliable of commodity 22LR ammo.  My 10/22, Buckmark and MKII love them, and I have much lower failure rates then with Remington or CCI Blazer (which is absolute crap).  I've found Winchester to be slightly worse then Federal, but not nearly as bad as the aforementioned.

Before the ammunition supply shortages (aka, demand overages), I filled a 30 cal ammo can with loose Federal bulk pack ammo.  I'm glad I did, and I'll probably fill another one if the market ever stabilizes.

Odd, I have absolutely zero problems with CCI blazer in my p22 (where pretty much everything else has issues) or in my 10/22.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »
When it comes to "good" vs. "bad" .22 ammo, consider that the differences have become significant enough for a major manufacturer (S&W) to NAME BY BRAND certain types to avoid:

Through our testing, Smith & Wesson has found that there are several brands and types of .22LR ammunition that do not perform consistently or reliably. Consequently, Smith & Wesson DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of .22LR ammunition be used in your M&P 15-22."

Remington Golden Bullet
Remington Target 22
Remington Thunderbolt
Winchester Wildcat
Any and all sub-sonic brands and types.

Also if you have the Performance Center Model it is equipped with a .22LR Lanley semi-auto match chamber which does not accommodate CCI Stinger brand ammunition. WARNING: Never use CCI .22LR Stinger brand ammunition in your M&P 15-22 Performance Center Model Rifle.

On the other hand, what DO they recommend?

"Based on the design and action of the M&P 15-22, Smith & Wesson recommends that you use the following brands and types of .22LR ammunition for optimal performance in your M&P 15-22 rifle".

CCI Standard Velocity
CCI Mini-Mag
Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity
Aguila Super Extra High Velocity
Federal American Eagle
Federal GameShock
Winchester Super-X High Velocity

Federal and CCI ammo have worked 100% in my M&P 15-22, I haven't tried Remington yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
When it comes to "good" vs. "bad" .22 ammo, consider that the differences have become significant enough for a major manufacturer (S&W) to NAME BY BRAND certain types to avoid:

On the other hand, what DO they recommend?

Federal and CCI ammo have worked 100% in my M&P 15-22, I haven't tried Remington yet.

SW seems to have an issue with Remington, I know my p22 does.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 10:00:26 PM »
Never had an issue with CCI Blazer, haven't shot it in 5-6 years though. Has it changed?

Odd, I have absolutely zero problems with CCI blazer in my p22 (where pretty much everything else has issues) or in my 10/22.

Interesting.  I only bought one brick once, and had constant failures with it.  I recall that the entire brick was $10 + tax.

I still have three boxes of it - it was a pain to use with all the failures.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
weird, Blazer works great in all of my .22's.  Remington is pretty rough, never had a jam but (and I'm not exaggerating) I've had a 1/4 FTF on them.  This is with several varieties within Remington.  It gets a good strike on the rim, but they suck at getting priming compound distributed fully or something.  The Eley primed target stuff is the exception.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »
When it comes to cheap bulk pack, some of my guns like Remington and some like Federal.  I see duds in each, but few enough I can live with it.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
the local pistol club was handing out some remington standard velocity on youth night.   with five kids shooting off five rounds, there was at least one alibi each time.  when the shells were taken apart, there would be flakes of green primer in with the gun powder.   i guess they have trouble getting it to stick in the rim.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2