Author Topic: New car, new look at emergency supplies  (Read 6956 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
New car, new look at emergency supplies
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »
Recently bought another car to use as a commuter since my new job location makes the bus impractical. This gives me a chance to look at what supplies we keep in the cars with a fresh eye, so I thought I'd solicit ideas from ya'll. Here's a rundown of expected use cases and practical limitations.

Vehicle is a 2000 Subaru Outback wagon. I'm looking for a kit small enough to fit into the below deck storage where the spare tire is, and a backpack. Will add a Thule or similar roof rack storage at some point but looking for a basic kit that doesn't need it. Work is 16ish miles from my house via freeway, a bit less overland. All urban/suburban terrain between the two, multiple routes with walkable shoulders as well as passable overland walking routes. My goal with this gear is the basics: don't get stuck, simple repairs, comfort if stuck, and E&E back home when the ChiComs parachute in like Red Dawn. :D

Realistic threats include earthquake, tsunami, terrorism (probably small scale local killdozer type), and the normal panoply of pandemic asteroid zombie apocalypse stuff.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Heavy duty jumper cables
Road flares
Improved jack (thoughts on make/model?)
Tire plugs
Spare headlight bulbs
Small selection of wrenches and sockets sized for my car's bolts
Spare belts (not a serpentine, several smaller ones)
Bicycle air pump (the form factor will fit in storage better than those 12v compressors)
Multiple tire gauges
Multiple flashlights, I like the small 1AA LED models
Headlamp
Extra batteries
OBD2 scanner (I have one already, can't hurt)
Tire chains
Small shovel
12v to USB charger and appropriate cables
Pens, paper, sharpies
Ice scraper
First aid kit
Ratchet straps
Tow strap
Maps/atlas for WA and adjoining states (would one hard copy for WA and a bunch of electronic copies be better than all hard copies?)
Debating carrying a bunch of extra fluids (oil, anti freeze etc) due to the bulk.

In the bag:
Rain gear (thoughts, don't need anything to expensive or fancy)
Gloves, both nitrile and leather work models. Maybe a heavier leather pair as well for moving hot things?
Poncho liner and poncho
Space blanket
Fire starting kit (minimalist)
Small FAK
Socks
Spare pants and shirt
Spare boots
Spare glasses

I always have knives on me, maybe a small spare and a multi-tool? Probably toss a couple gallons of water in the back floorboard.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: New car, new look at emergency supplies
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »
water?  protein bars? ak varient+ammo?  you may find yourself exceeding the spare tire compartment!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
Spare headlight bulbs
Headlamp
Extra batteries
12v to USB charger and appropriate cables
Pens, paper, sharpies
Maps/atlas for WA and adjoining states (would one hard copy for WA and a bunch of electronic copies be better than all hard copies?)In the bag:
Spare glasses

Those are glove box items.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »
I would move the first aid kit to the bag if it's small enough, so you can grab and go if you need to. I use the Adventure Medical kits (with a few of my add-ins) which are pretty portable. I would also have a good, small flashlight already in the bag, preferably with a couple of brightness settings so you can conserve if you need to (spare batts too).

Don't skimp on the space blanket in the bag (I again recommend Adventure Medical). A steel water bottle and nesting steel cup would be good for the bag. Also water purification. As mentioned, protein bars, or else I keep Coast Guard rations in mine, since they're pretty impervious to heat, non-thirst inducing, and have a long shelf life. I also keep a few of the heavy duty Hefty garbage bags in mine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »
Balog, noting that you live not too far from me, and work downtown, one thing I always pondered was how I would cross the Ship Canal in the event of an earthquake that dropped all the bridges.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
Balog, noting that you live not too far from me, and work downtown, one thing I always pondered was how I would cross the Ship Canal in the event of an earthquake that dropped all the bridges.

Well obviously you are totally unprepared if you don't carry a canoe on the roof rack  :P

The list above is about what we carry in the Suburban (Not counting all the ammo), but it's too much for the little car.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »
Well obviously you are totally unprepared if you don't carry a canoe on the roof rack  :P

The list above is about what we carry in the Suburban (Not counting all the ammo), but it's too much for the little car.

My thought was that I could perhaps commandeer some sort of watercraft, or if necessary, find some floating debris to hold my gear and dogpaddle across.  Depending on the time of year and the ambient weather, that could be a recipe for hypothermia right quick, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
Inflatable canoe - he already has a pump!    =D

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
As far as the jack:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hi-lift-48-in-cast-steel-jack/0000000033071

I've got one and like it.  It might be too big for the subaru though . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
I'd suggest a knife in the car, and maybe one of the cheap Smiths sharpeners.  I know you carry one all the time, like I do...until you forget, or drop yours, or need to hand one to a friend, etc.  I made that mistake over the weekend.  Friend joined us on a camping trip at the last minute, and didn't have a real knife to use in camp.  My spare is gone from the car.  Buck 110.  Gave it to my son as a Scout camping knife.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
I would move the first aid kit to the bag if it's small enough, so you can grab and go if you need to. I use the Adventure Medical kits (with a few of my add-ins) which are pretty portable. I would also have a good, small flashlight already in the bag, preferably with a couple of brightness settings so you can conserve if you need to (spare batts too).

Don't skimp on the space blanket in the bag (I again recommend Adventure Medical). A steel water bottle and nesting steel cup would be good for the bag. Also water purification. As mentioned, protein bars, or else I keep Coast Guard rations in mine, since they're pretty impervious to heat, non-thirst inducing, and have a long shelf life. I also keep a few of the heavy duty Hefty garbage bags in mine.

I was planning on two FAK's, big one for the car and small one for the bag.

The original car has good space blankets ( I think Rev recommended them), and water purification would be good. Thoughts on that? I'll have a few snack type items, but honestly I'm so close to home and in such populated terrain that I'm not worried about food except as a comfort convenience item.

Those are glove box items.

I'll have some duplicate stuff (gloves for example) that I can use in the car, as well as having in a grab and go format if I have to get out fast (chemical spill on the highway etc).

I actually work on the east side now, if I was still in Seattle I'd be taking the bus. I love the commuter bus routes, but now it's three bus' from three different transit authorities with schedules that means I'm either running to get the last leg or waiting 29 minutes for the next one. Just not worth it.

I'd suggest a knife in the car, and maybe one of the cheap Smiths sharpeners.  I know you carry one all the time, like I do...until you forget, or drop yours, or need to hand one to a friend, etc.  I made that mistake over the weekend.  Friend joined us on a camping trip at the last minute, and didn't have a real knife to use in camp.  My spare is gone from the car.  Buck 110.  Gave it to my son as a Scout camping knife.

My only hesitation on that is how retarded WA's knife laws are. Really easy to cross a city line and be a criminal.  =| But yeah, I think throwing a little spare folder with a short blade in there would be a good idea.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
Add some wool gloves, or those mittens that flip up to expose fingerless gloves underneath.

Ziplock baggies - 2 1-gallon, 2 1-quart, and 6 sandwich/snack size.  If it should not get wet it will, unless you have something to keep the wet out.  Also, they are great for holding assorted small parts as you disassemble something.

Have you ever tried to dig out your tires with an e-tool?  If so you probably learned the value of a D-handle garden shovel.

Two multitools dedicated to the vehicle - 1 in the glovebox and 1 somewhere else you will remember where it is.

Lithium AAA/AAs are not that much more than alkaline and you can toss a few 4-packs here and there.  10-year lifetime probably deteriorates to 7 when left in the vehicle.

Get this http://www.rei.com/product/776959/planet-bike-stx-deluxe-floor-pump type of air pump instead of this http://www.rei.com/product/846483/lezyne-sport-drive-hp-mini-pump-small unless you really want to build up your arms and burn your hands from the heat the little ones generate.  But I'm wondering if this http://www.rei.com/product/863610/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-tire-inflator-head could work with auto tires if you used enough cartridges.

SHTF maps need to be laminated dead-tree types.  It's not just an EMP tat will make your electronics useless.  Which presupposes you will also have a compass.

But the most glaring ommission?  TP

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
I was planning on two FAK's, big one for the car and small one for the bag.

The original car has good space blankets ( I think Rev recommended them), and water purification would be good. Thoughts on that?

You'll hear lots of thoughts on that around here!  :laugh:

I like a good Katydyn for general use, but for a small emergency scram bag, what I've done is gone with the Aquamira Frontier Pro straw and chlorine dioxide tablets, as between the two of them they will take care of most anything and they are very compact for a BOB. There might be newer and better straws out there - I haven't looked and have had mine for some years now.

The one thing to consider regarding food, even for comfort, is that your 16 mile trip back home or to an area where you can readily and safely rest, could be a while, depending on the disaster / emergency. JMO, but I think people generally underestimate the time it might take them to get home in an emergency if they have to walk. While I might be able to knock out 16 miles in a half day walking home on the sidewalk, what if there's a bunch of detours due to a major earthquake or Tsunami? Or if the event happens at night? You might be away from resources a good deal longer than you thought, and it never hurts to have at least a half full stomach, if for nothing else, for the psychological boost.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
Throw in a handful of heavy-mil drum liners.  Great multi-use items, everything from makeshift ponchos to potential tourniquet material.  (On occasion they can even be used as trash bags.)

In addition to the firestarter kit, a couple of Bic lighters.  No appreciable increase in space or weight, and you have redundancy in your emergency fire sourcing needs.

Roll of duct or gorilla tape.

Roll of nylon twine.

Roll of paracord.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:27:19 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
TP definately. Each of my cars has a zip lock bag with a roll of TP and a bunch of hand wipes.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »
As far as the jack:

I'd have to strap it to the roof rack. Probably need to wait for the thule.

Add some wool gloves, or those mittens that flip up to expose fingerless gloves underneath.

Ziplock baggies - 2 1-gallon, 2 1-quart, and 6 sandwich/snack size.  If it should not get wet it will, unless you have something to keep the wet out.  Also, they are great for holding assorted small parts as you disassemble something.

Have you ever tried to dig out your tires with an e-tool?  If so you probably learned the value of a D-handle garden shovel.

Two multitools dedicated to the vehicle - 1 in the glovebox and 1 somewhere else you will remember where it is.

Lithium AAA/AAs are not that much more than alkaline and you can toss a few 4-packs here and there.  10-year lifetime probably deteriorates to 7 when left in the vehicle.

Get this http://www.rei.com/product/776959/planet-bike-stx-deluxe-floor-pump type of air pump instead of this http://www.rei.com/product/846483/lezyne-sport-drive-hp-mini-pump-small unless you really want to build up your arms and burn your hands from the heat the little ones generate.  But I'm wondering if this http://www.rei.com/product/863610/planet-bike-red-zeppelin-co2-tire-inflator-head could work with auto tires if you used enough cartridges.

SHTF maps need to be laminated dead-tree types.  It's not just an EMP tat will make your electronics useless.  Which presupposes you will also have a compass.

But the most glaring ommission?  TP

stay safe.

Wool gloves are a good idea. I have some synthetic ones made to be worn under ski mittens that are pretty good but redundancy on such a small light item isn't bad. Multi-tools are great to carry but less capable and more expensive than just having a few hand tools. Set of lineman's pliers (or the smallest size knipex pliers wrench), couple screw drivers etc. At $50-100 per multi-tool, I'd rather just have a couple actual tools for the car itself. That was the kind of pump I was thinking of. Not sure about the maps. If I'm walking I can get home without a map, even if there's a significant detour due to contamination between here and the house. And getting topo and street maps for WA, ID, OR, and BC (double set, one for each car) would be both expensive and bulky. If the car is still running it's unlikely that both my personal and company phone would be dead, and DL'ed maps don't need service. Tp is a good call, which I just forgot to list.

Throw in a handful of heavy-mil drum liners.  Great multi-use items, everything from makeshift ponchos to potential tourniquet material.  (On occasion they can even be used as trash bags.)

In addition to the firestarter kit, a couple of Bic lighters.  No appreciable increase in space or weight, and you have redundancy in your emergency fire sourcing needs.

Roll of duct or gorilla tape.

Roll of nylon twine.

Roll of paracord.

Brad

What's a drum liner? Bic's are part of the fire starting kit. Good call on the tape. Isn't twine and paracord redundant? Also, bailing wire would be a great idea, where do they sell that these days?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
Lighter(s), Bic is best. Peanut lighters are nifty.

Yep, those AMK SOL blankets are awesome. The really thin mylar blankets do not exactly stand up well. Easy and cheap to test, as they often go for a buck or two. Roll around in a cheapo mylar blanket, it will tear. And tears will spread quickly, as it's not exactly ripstop material. They make a $5 version now. Another plus is they have pretty decent emergency information printed on the blanket itself.

AA->USB charger for your cell. I built my own AA->USB from parts, but I plan on buying this one because it works for either charging AA/AAA batteries, or using said batteries to charge a USB device. Cell phone and cash is the most important DR tools you can own in an urban environment.
http://www.all-battery.com/t3000USBcompactcharger.aspx
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
What's a drum liner?

Giant trash bag that fits inside metal drums.

Hardware section will have mild steel wire on a little spool in a blister pack, I think they call it tie wire (for tying rebar)

Like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_62943-37672-123133_4294934474__?productId=3109493&Ntt=steel+wire&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsteel%2Bwire&facetInfo=
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
Lighter(s), Bic is best. Peanut lighters are nifty.

Yep, those AMK SOL blankets are awesome. The really thin mylar blankets do not exactly stand up well. Easy and cheap to test, as they often go for a buck or two. Roll around in a cheapo mylar blanket, it will tear. And tears will spread quickly, as it's not exactly ripstop material. They make a $5 version now. Another plus is they have pretty decent emergency information printed on the blanket itself.

AA->USB charger for your cell. I built my own AA->USB from parts, but I plan on buying this one because it works for either charging AA/AAA batteries, or using said batteries to charge a USB device. Cell phone and cash is the most important DR tools you can own in an urban environment.
http://www.all-battery.com/t3000USBcompactcharger.aspx

I also saw a really nifty charger that was a standard 12v cigarette lighter receptacle wired up with a pair or ring terminals so you could attach it directly to a car battery. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/594775_My_cross_country_GHB.html

Be good to add an additional charger, thanks for the link.

Giant trash bag that fits inside metal drums.

Hardware section will have mild steel wire on a little spool in a blister pack, I think they call it tie wire (for tying rebar)

Like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_62943-37672-123133_4294934474__?productId=3109493&Ntt=steel+wire&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsteel%2Bwire&facetInfo=

Cool, thank you.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
As far as the jack:

Even most full size SUVs and pickups don't have jack-able bumpers anymore  =(

I carry one in my old pickup but even the 1989 can't be jacked from the front bumper (or I suppose it could if I tore off the under-bumper shroud ....)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
Isn't twine and paracord redundant?

18"x50 hank of paracord (this model has embedded reflective strips.  Kinda nifty if ya ask me...)

#18x250 roll of nylon twine

One is hella strong for heavy things like temporary shelters, strapping stuff together, etc..  The other is relatively light, but easily manipulated for small jobs and a bunch of it only occupies a couple cubic inches of space.

Come to think of it, add a roll of #20 fishing line, some sewing needles, and one of those little ten or twenty count multipacks of safety pins.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
As a long-time Jeep guy, I think you are over-prepared for a 16-mile commute, and under-prepared fora TEOTWAWKI event.

Heavy duty jumper cables - check
Road flares - check
Improved jack (thoughts on make/model?) - how bad is the one in the vehicle?
Tire plugs - check
Spare headlight bulbs - not necessary for commuting
Small selection of wrenches and sockets sized for my car's bolts - check
Spare belts (not a serpentine, several smaller ones) - what other belts are there?
Bicycle air pump (the form factor will fit in storage better than those 12v compressors) - skip the bicycle pump. You won't live long enough to inflate even a soft automobile tire with a bicycle pump
Multiple tire gauges - Multiple? Why?
Multiple flashlights, I like the small 1AA LED models - Again, why multiple?
Headlamp - check
Extra batteries - Not necessary for a commute, if you check your flashlight
OBD2 scanner (I have one already, can't hurt) - Not necessary for a commute
Tire chains - NOBODY uses tire chains any more
Small shovel - Nice, but not a must-have for a 16-mile commute
12v to USB charger and appropriate cables - Purpose?
Pens, paper, sharpies - check
Ice scraper - check
First aid kit - check
Ratchet straps - Not necessary for a 16-mile commute
Tow strap - check
Maps/atlas for WA and adjoining states (would one hard copy for WA and a bunch of electronic copies be better than all hard copies?) - Not necessary for a 16-mile commute
Debating carrying a bunch of extra fluids (oil, anti freeze etc) due to the bulk. - One quart of oil, one gallon of anti-freeze diluted to 50/50

In the bag:
Rain gear (thoughts, don't need anything to expensive or fancy) - check
Gloves, both nitrile and leather work models. - check Maybe a heavier leather pair as well for moving hot things? Overkill
Poncho liner and poncho - Purpose?
Space blanket - check. I carry them in 4-packs
Fire starting kit (minimalist) - Overkill for the commute
Small FAK - Small usually = useless
Socks - Overkill
Spare pants and shirt - Overkill
Spare boots - Overkill
Spare glasses check
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:40:43 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
Got a '97 Boo, too.  Hard to hide much stuff in the person compartment, I found in my station wagon.  Even putting the rear seats down with stuff between the back and the seat itself makes it obvious there's a goody there.

Most good thinking has been expressed already and I have much of what youse guys have outlined.  Some seemed unneccessary to me.

Some things you haven't mentioned:

Spray lock ease, windshield defroster in a spray can, extra power steering and brake fluid.

>>"Improved jack (thoughts on make/model?)":  

I got one of those cheapy pump  up transmission jacks which would hold at least 1/4 of the car's weight because I don't trust bumper jacks and scissor jacks.  Nowadays, since I physically can't handle changing a tire, I rely on a cell phone and towing insurance to get me to a Discount Tire place, where all four tires are guaranteed for road hazards, and I got rid of the transmission jack.  However, at my age, I don't plan on long drives in hostile territory any more. I also keep a set of wheel chocks... because I didn't trust bumper jacks and sicissor jacks!   I still have those.

Armaments?  I'm not looking toward any unwarned instant urban uprisings, so the only gun(s) I carry routinely are my personal defense sidearms... yes, usually two.   Besides, as I mentioned, it's hard to hide long arms or much other stuff  in a Subie.  

People have been caught in riots and the like, but I'm not going to be going downtown a hell of a lot anymore.  Hate downtown with a passion after working there for decades --it's hostile territory to me.   Also, I'd hate to have to abandon the car with Second Amendment stuff it it.  I also suspect having a long arm in a riot would make you part of the problem the armor-plated police lines are trying to suppress... and you may get suppressed along with the baddies.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:33:39 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
As a lont-time Jeep guy, I think you are over-prepared for a 16-mile commute, and under-prepared fora TEOTWAWKI event.

Heavy duty jumper cables - check
Road flares - check
Improved jack (thoughts on make/model?) - how bad is the one in the vehicle?
Tire plugs - check
Spare headlight bulbs - not necessary for commuting
Small selection of wrenches and sockets sized for my car's bolts - check
Spare belts (not a serpentine, several smaller ones) - what other belts are there?
Bicycle air pump (the form factor will fit in storage better than those 12v compressors) - skip the bicycle pump. You won't live long enough to inflate even a soft automobile tire with a bicycle pump
Multiple tire gauges - Multiple? Why?
Multiple flashlights, I like the small 1AA LED models - Again, why multiple?
Headlamp - check
Extra batteries - Not necessary for a commute, if you check your flashlight
OBD2 scanner (I have one already, can't hurt) - Not necessary for a commute
Tire chains - NOBODY uses tire chains any more
Small shovel - Nice, but not a must-have for a 16-mile commute
12v to USB charger and appropriate cables - Purpose?
Pens, paper, sharpies - check
Ice scraper - check
First aid kit - check
Ratchet straps - Not necessary for a 16-mile commute
Tow strap - check
Maps/atlas for WA and adjoining states (would one hard copy for WA and a bunch of electronic copies be better than all hard copies?) - Not necessary for a 16-mile commute
Debating carrying a bunch of extra fluids (oil, anti freeze etc) due to the bulk. - One quart of oil, one gallon of anti-freeze diluted to 50/50

In the bag:
Rain gear (thoughts, don't need anything to expensive or fancy) - check
Gloves, both nitrile and leather work models. - check Maybe a heavier leather pair as well for moving hot things? Overkill
Poncho liner and poncho - Purpose?
Space blanket - check. I carry them in 4-packs
Fire starting kit (minimalist) - Overkill for the commute
Small FAK - Small usually = useless
Socks - Overkill
Spare pants and shirt - Overkill
Spare boots - Overkill
Spare glasses check

I agree with the assessment that this isn't fully tikiwiki run for the hills ready. But better to be over-prepared and able to cope with an unusually severe circumstance (bad earthquake necessitating circuitous route home, needing to gtfo in the middle of the night after a local chemical spill etc).

This is W WA. It rains all the time. If I have to do anything to the car there's a good chance I'll get soaking wet. Hence, spare clothes and socks etc. I like redundancy in items that are vital, prone to failure, and cheap enough to not be prohibitive. Hence, multiple flashlights (all of the above) and tire gauges (important if not vital, cheap, prone to failure). I've never tried to air up a car tire with a bike pump, I know it works well for motorcycle tires though. Several folks on here use chains, and there are times of the year it is legally required before you can cross some of the mountain passes into E WA. I have the OBD2 scanner in the car already, leaving it in the house doesn't really net me anything. The usb charger is for phones and similar devices. I use that every day. For a purely "limping it to get home" perspective wouldn't the 2-3 gallons of drinking water suffice vs the anti-freeze mix? First Aid Kit. Poncho and liner are good for car camping or hiking home in the wet (I did mention I live in the only state that has a rain forest right?). Small in this case equals able to cope with severe trauma. I can deal with blisters or headaches on the hike home, but still need to carry something to deal with severe cuts, splint broken bones, stop the bleeding from a GSW etc.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
Got a '97 Boo, too.  Hard to hide much stuff in the person compartment, I found.  Even putting the rear seats down with stuff between the back and the seat itself makes it obvious there's a goody there.

Most good thinking has been expressed already and I have much of what youse guys have outlined.  Some seemed unneccessary to me.

Some things you haven't mentioned:

Spray lock ease, windshield defroster in a spray can, extra power steering and brake fluid.

>>"Improved jack (thoughts on make/model?)":  I got one of those cheapy pump  up transmission jacks which would hold at least 1/4 of the car's weight because I don't trust bumper jacks and scissor jacks.  Nowadays, since I physically can't handle changing a tire, I rely on a cell phone and towing insurance to get me to a Discount Tire place, where all four tires are guaranteed for road hazards, and I got rid of the transmission jack.  However, at my age, I don't plan on long drives in hostile territory any more. I also keep a set of wheel chocks... because I didn't trust bumper jacks and sicissor jacks!   I still have those.

Armaments?  I'm not looking toward any unwarned instant urban uprisings, so the only gun(s) I carry are my personal defense sidearms... yes, usually two.   Besides, as I mentioned, it's hard to hide long arms or much other stuff  in a Subie.   People have been caught in riots and the like, but I'm not going to be going downtown a hell of a lot anymore.  Hate downtown with a passion afte working there for decades.   Also, I'd hate to have to abandon the car with Second Amendment stuff it it.  I suspect having a long arm in a riot would make you part of the problem the armor-plated police lines are trying to suppress... and you may get suppressed along with the baddies.

Terry, 230RN

Yeah, not a ton of storage. There's the below floorboard spot where the spare lives (dead space there as well as the tray molded into the cover), the center console, the glove box, the three ash trays, and the little void below the ash tray in the center of the dash. I'm thinking of stashing a roll with the tools in it under the hood, just need to be able to secure it well. I remember from years back that they used to make headliners (for trucks anyway) that had basically a hidden storage area in the area right next to the windshield.