Author Topic: Anti-virus almost, but not quite, completely useless  (Read 1367 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Anti-virus almost, but not quite, completely useless
« on: May 06, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/06/symantec_antivirus_is_dead_and_not_a_moneymaker/

Pretty ballsy of a senior VP given that it makes up %40 of their revenue
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Anti-virus almost, but not quite, completely useless
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
Only spots 45% of the threats?  I guess I have paired Norton with Spybot for quite a while and try to keep something like Malwarebytes around also.  CCleaner is nice also.  Spybot has a registry blocker.  I always figured you needed multiple defenses or at least multiple ways to detect and clean.

I did have to clean off some sort of trojan yesterday.  Got past Norton and Spybot.  It was blocking Norton updates.  Malwarebytes was able to clean it off. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »
They're talking more the business suites versus desktop suites here. Of course the government uses Endpoint.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
Considering how many people who know more about computers than I do tell me that Norton IS the virus, I'd say this guy is only acknowledging what everyone in the company (and most in the industry) already know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
Number of times I have seen Norton stop malware: Once, maybe twice.
Number of times I have had to remove malware/viruses from machines with norton: Many many
Number of times Norton removed to increase performance: also too many to count

It is malware.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Sigh, Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 (basically Kaspersky corporate) was rushed to include a lot of the same features as Symantec's endpoint security. Configuration is less than pleasant. Some of the reporting features could really use some work.

Steep learning curve.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
ESET is what we use.  Tried Endpoint and I had the engineers wanting to hang me.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »
ESET is what we use.  Tried Endpoint and I had the engineers wanting to hang me.

I had fairly good luck with eset.

McAfee (and more specifically, ePolicy Fuckestrator) can go right to hell
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

Yes yes yes.

EPO is "baroque", difficult to work with and a total bitch to fix if something breaks.   (Kind of like Symantec's management server.)

Cloud manglement is great.  I'm perfectly happy, nay, ecstatic, to let Symantec or whoever maintain the back end.  Trouble is, the cloud client side doesn't seem as full featured.  "on demand scan", for instance, in McAfee cloud AV doesn't mean what you might think.  It doesn't mean "scan right now".  It means "schedule a scan for some other time".   :facepalm:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Norton "died" for me back when DOS was still what really did all the work and Windows was just a pretty overlay... Back before then they had some nice, useful tools.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
I said that above and then realized I had the Passshow virus on my computer for a few months.  I was wondering why a couple of my credit cards got hacked.  Luckily, it didn't hurt me that I know of.  That other trojan wasn't quite gone either. 

Both went right past Norton. I have to admit I don't know if it is stopping anything at this point.  I was hoping Spybot Search and Destroy would stop registry changes, but I haven't run a scan with that in a while.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
Norton "died" for me back when DOS was still what really did all the work and Windows was just a pretty overlay... Back before then they had some nice, useful tools.

Loved Norton Commander.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »

Take off and nuke it just to be sure.

Gratuitous how to remove McAfee Antivirus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg  NSFW

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »
Loved Norton Commander.

+infinity

All I used back when I was a kid. (Family 286 yay!!!)
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)