Author Topic: Halliburton moving headquarters to Dubai  (Read 4971 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Halliburton moving headquarters to Dubai
« on: March 11, 2007, 08:36:44 AM »
Okay. This, to me, steps over the line of "conflict of interest". And...way to keep all profits out of reach of investigators, hm? After hearing how KBR has been running some Iraq mess halls for our troops, with the disgusting food prep conditions and spoiled food...  Plus just the conflict of interest inherent in running one of our principal military suppliers from a nation that was and still is buddy-buddy with the bin Ladens, the Taliban, and that is close with or supportive of many other groups that bankroll the people we're currently fighting!

From the Wall Street Journal:
    Halliburton to Move Headquarters To Dubai, Keeping Office in Houston

DUBAI -- U.S. oil services giant Halliburton Co. will shift its corporate headquarters from Houston to Dubai, Chief Executive Dave Lesar said Sunday.

Halliburton will maintain a corporate office in Houston, but the company will be controlled from its office in the United Arab Emirates, company spokeswoman Cathy Mann explained.

"Halliburton is opening its corporate headquarters in Dubai while maintaining a corporate office in Houston," Ms. Mann said in an email to the Associated Press. "The chairman, president and CEO will office from and be based in Dubai to run the company from the UAE." She clarified "he will work from and his office will be in Dubai."

http://users1.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=wsj-users1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB117362760997733466.html%3Fmod%3Ddjemalert

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Halliburton moving headquarters to Dubai
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:13:51 AM »
Halliburton Expands Mideast Presence;
CEO to Spend More Time in Dubai
By RUSSELL GOLD and SUSAN WARREN
March 11, 2007 2:44 p.m.

Halliburton Co. is making a big push to expand its presence in the Middle East, with Chief Executive Officer Dave Lesar spending a substantial part of his time running the company from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Mr. Lesar said that from his Dubai office he will be concentrating on building the Houston-based oil-services company's business with national oil companies in the Eastern Hemisphere, including Asia, Africa and the Middle East. "Growing our business here will bring more balance to Halliburton's overall portfolio," Mr. Lesar said in a statement. (Read the company's full statement1)

Halliburton's decision is another sign of shifting alignments in the global oil order. While Houston remains the center of the global oil trade among Western companies, Dubai in recent years has grown as a rival -- a hub for trade, investment and oil-patch deals, especially for national oil companies expanding outside their home turf. Dubai's location in the Middle East puts it close to the world's richest oil reservoirs, and it has proven itself more open and friendly to Westerners than some of its neighbors.

Halliburton needs to make up ground it has lost in recent years to Western competitors and increasingly ambitious Chinese oilfield-service firms. Halliburton operates in 70 countries with about 45,000 employees. The company -- and its red-clad workers -- is the dominant oilfield-service company in North America, generating 60% of its operating income, or $2.03 billion, last year in the region.

But North America is a mature oilfield province and most of the industry's growth is occurring elsewhere. Halliburton reported a 40% decline in fourth-quarter net income, with a drop in North American revenue heightening concerns about a slowdown in drilling.

Meanwhile, Halliburton's competitors are more dominant outside of North America. Many of the worlds' best new oil and natural gas production opportunities are in oil-rich regions of the Middle East and Africa, while much of the growth in demand is coming from Asia.

Schlumberger Ltd., the largest oilfield-service firm by revenue, earned two-thirds of its net income from continuing operations last year, or $3 billion outside of North America.

Halliburton has faced numerous distractions in recent years that have taken its attention away from its core oilfield-services business. It paid a steep price to extricate itself from enormous damages in asbestos litigation and avoid bankruptcy for the entire firm. Then a logistics contract for the U.S. military ballooned unexpectedly, taxing the company's ability to keep pace with demands of the Iraq war. Halliburton recently took steps to complete its spin-off of KBR Inc., its logistics and engineering division, in order to focus on its dominant oilfield business.

I just copied the above from the WSJ online edition.  Bloomberg is reporting this as Halliburton opening a regional head off in Dubai from which the CEO will spend most of his time.  I'm skeptical that this has anything to do with evading investigators.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
Go to where the business growth is.  Nothing mysterious here.  KBR will be tossed under the bus for its adventures in Iraq.  Meanwhile, we have here a sterling example of a multinational corporation.  It has no allegiances other than to its stockholders.  The US gums up its markets with environmental restrictions etc, the response is to simply go somewhere else.  Markets go to where capital is best treated.  For all the pontification the US does about "capitalism", we surely don't do a good job of practicing it.  The US is rapidly making itself irrelevant to the future.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »
Go to where the business growth is.  Nothing mysterious here.  KBR will be tossed under the bus for its adventures in Iraq.  Meanwhile, we have here a sterling example of a multinational corporation.  It has no allegiances other than to its stockholders.  The US gums up its markets with environmental restrictions etc, the response is to simply go somewhere else.  Markets go to where capital is best treated.  For all the pontification the US does about "capitalism", we surely don't do a good job of practicing it.  The US is rapidly making itself irrelevant to the future.

KBR execs should be lined up against the wall and shot.  Ask anyone who got repeated food poisoning from their mess halls. 

As for the trade restrictions, yes.  There is a ton of red tape doing international business these days.  It's costing us a lot in lost productivity and revenue.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
Lesar ' s announcement appears to signal one of the highest-profile moves by a U.S. corporate leader to Dubai , an Arab boomtown where free-market capitalism has been paired with some of the world ' s most liberal tax, investment and residency laws.

Sounds like an interesting place to live. Wonder how their gun laws are?

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:10:28 AM »
Let's see, they have a chance to get away from the taxes, business restrictions, bureaucracy, and general red tape crap they have to put up with here in the states.  Sounds like a purely business decision to me, and a good one at that.

Never fails to amaze me that people will scream, yell, and generally crawl all over a company trying to get its profits down, its business regulated, and its influence minimized, then scream, yell, and generally crawl all over the same company when it moves to someplace a bit more business friendly.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 09:44:22 AM »
Sounds like an interesting place to live. Wonder how their gun laws are?

Giving how crazy their licenses are (for just a car!), I wouldn't hold out much hope for their gun laws.  Dubai's an extrememly rich city-state that's world renowned for their anti-immigration practices.  If you're not A) from Dubai, B) teaching their kids (temporarily, mind you--you're shipping out eventually), or C) filthy, dirty rich (which I guess everyone in Halliburton is), living in Dubai is not a good idea.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 09:48:17 AM »
Atlas Shrugs.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 09:48:58 AM »
Never fails to amaze me that people will scream, yell, and generally crawl all over a company trying to get its profits down, its business regulated, and its influence minimized, then scream, yell, and generally crawl all over the same company when it moves to someplace a bit more business friendly.

Or if the company stays in place but downsizes, they'll complain about that, too.  And they complain when prices go up.  All the while trying to artificially raise the cost of labor. 

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:46 AM »
It's a business decision.  And yes, Brad, a good one.  Their business is international, with most oil service coming from the Middle East and Asia. (Heaven knows there's no new drilling here in the U.S.) It is much easier to get to those places than from Dallas.
Halliburton is not running any mess halls.
They are still subject to U.S. laws since they are still incorporated in the U.S.  Some people need to put away the tin foil hat.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »
Some people need to put away the tin foil hat.

But it helps me to feel safe.   sad  Can I hide under my space blanket, then? 

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
Some people need to put away the tin foil hat.

But it helps me to feel safe.   sad  Can I hide under my space blanket, then? 

Are you mad??  How do you think they hone in on your thoughts?Huh?  Rabbit hair, think rabbit hair.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »
So, that's why those Jewish guys wear those big, black hats?  Those Zionists; so tricky.   smiley

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 11:44:23 AM »
Reminds me of the joke about the non-Jew who goes into a deli and asks the owner why Jews are so smart.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »
Halliburton puts a spot light on the next phase of globalism.  Once companies are free to seek the lowest cost of production, there is no way to draw a line through the chain of production saying, "We'll keep everything above the line and let everything below the line go away."  The next step in globalism is for corporations to seek the lowest of cost of doing business, not just he lowest cost of production.  Halliburton's move is merely the first.  The company is seeking the lowest cost of doing business.  That will rule out doing business in the US because of helpful and arbitrary governmental mandates.  A number of US companies are US companies only in the sense the HQ functions remain stateside.  Motorola is a sterling example.  The company is for all intents and purposes a Chinese company.  It will be interesting to watch how some of the more globalist minded companies head for the exits.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »
Good for them.  The free market is a beautiful thing, and it's about time we embraced it as a company.  If we make it easy and profitable for businesses to do business here in the US, they'll stay here in the US.  If not, well they move to Dubai.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
Good for them.  The free market is a beautiful thing, and it's about time we embraced it as a company.  If we make it easy and profitable for businesses to do business here in the US, they'll stay here in the US.  If not, well they move to Dubai.

Freudian slip?  You unreconstructed capitalist you!  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
Reminds me of the joke about the non-Jew who goes into a deli and asks the owner why Jews are so smart.

And? 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »

And? 

I'm just pretending to get it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »

And? 

I was hoping you'd ask.

So the owner whispers and says "it's herring.  We Jews eat it all the time.  Fish is brain food and this is why."
So the non-Jew proceeds to buy a quart of herring every week and he goes home and eats it.
After a month he comes back.  The owner asks him, so how's it going?
"Ok," the non-Jew says.  "But I notice that I'm paying $5.25 a quart for the herring but Goldberg down the street sells it for $4.99."
"Aha!" says the owner, "see, you're smarter already!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
Must be funnier in Yiddish.  grin

On ethnic jokes, so help me, I like to do the accents.  cheesy

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 01:33:12 PM »

Freudian slip?  You unreconstructed capitalist you!  grin
Whoops!
Country! I meant country!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
On ethnic jokes, so help me, I like to do the accents.
Me too, and that one:
"Aha!" says the owner, "see, you're smarter already!"
works great.
D. R. ZINN

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 08:38:32 PM »
From what I understand, they are doing this to avoid taxes on business they do which does not involve the US at all. They'll still pay taxes on any business in, or for, or with, the US.
If that's the case, I say more power to them.  Our tax laws are ridiculous anyways.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 08:21:33 AM »
According to NPR they are simply moving the CEO's office to Dubai, but will remain a US company incorporated in Delaware, with the main headquarters remaining in Texas.

They are putting the honchos nearer to the customer base.

It will have no effect on their taxes.