• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: ARG!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
3 tools:

- A good, stiff coat hanger.
- A blood pressure cuff.
- A plastic or wooden wedge.

Insert the wedge in the top corner of the door, get enough leverage to insert the pressure cuff.  Inflate the pressure cuff.  Drive the wedge deeper.  Inflate the cuff.

Do this with the wedge/cuff  about a foot apart, and they create a big enough gap to insert the stiff coat hanger.  Push the electric lock button to open the lock.  Remove tools.

Why a coat hanger? Wouldn't a simple dowel rod work better in this operation?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
I have several coat hangers laying around the house. I don't have any dowel rod on site, and it's inconvenient to run to the hardware store when I'm locked out of the car. =D

Unless by dowel rod you mean a wooden dowel, which wouldn't probably work at all for this.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
Why a coat hanger? Wouldn't a simple dowel rod work better in this operation?

You may still need to bend it to reach the button.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
I disagree.  If it gets the door open without damaging anything else, it's worth $30 IMO.

Yes, I have called a locksmith twice before - once for my wife, once for myself.  You pay for the service, but if they screw anything else up, they are on the hook for fixing it.

That may not always be the case.  There are certain cars that the locksmith will come out, look at it, and hand you a form that says, essentially, "These cars are way too full of crap in the doors for me to guarantee getting you in without breaking anything, and if anything gets broken, we're not liable."
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »
I sprang for the locksmith.  Took him all of 2 seconds to get it open.  The wife is off making copies right now.  At least from now on I have a key, so I know it won't happen again.  $30 for a life lesson isn't bad I guess. =)

3 tools:

- A good, stiff coat hanger.
- A blood pressure cuff.
- A plastic or wooden wedge.

Insert the wedge in the top corner of the door, get enough leverage to insert the pressure cuff.  Inflate the pressure cuff.  Drive the wedge deeper.  Inflate the cuff.

Do this with the wedge/cuff  about a foot apart, and they create a big enough gap to insert the stiff coat hanger.  Push the electric lock button to open the lock.  Remove tools.

That is pretty much how the locksmith did it.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
That may not always be the case.  There are certain cars that the locksmith will come out, look at it, and hand you a form that says, essentially, "These cars are way too full of crap in the doors for me to guarantee getting you in without breaking anything, and if anything gets broken, we're not liable."

Interesting.  Guess I'm glad that I was only locked out of a base model Saturn and an old Accord.  =)  Both of those took the locksmith under 30 seconds to get into.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
I managed to lock myself out of my company van a few months ago. Our fleet people called a local wrecker service. guy shows up with a big ring of keys and on the third try opens the door.
On a side note, I got one of the car dealership (Chevy) flyers in the mail a few weeks ago. It had one of those cheap keys taped to it.
It kind of looked like my Jeep key. I now have an extra spare key for my Jeep =|.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I managed to lock myself out of my company van a few months ago. Our fleet people called a local wrecker service. guy shows up with a big ring of keys and on the third try opens the door.
On a side note, I got one of the car dealership (Chevy) flyers in the mail a few weeks ago. It had one of those cheap keys taped to it.
It kind of looked like my Jeep key. I now have an extra spare key for my Jeep =|.

They're called "Try out keys".

Ah.  Not that I own any of those.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
Of course.  It's not like it's encrypted or anything.  The more upscale locksmiths can usually do it for you.

course...  Nothing says you need to copy your own remote fob.    [popcorn]

I was actually wondering something about this. The other day, some dude appears to have locked my car with his fob. Is there a practical way to get remote access rewired to be secure, or would that just be a huge hassle?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
I was actually wondering something about this. The other day, some dude appears to have locked my car with his fob. Is there a practical way to get remote access rewired to be secure, or would that just be a huge hassle?

Off the shelf?  No.   

Custom?  Sure.  It's possible. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
I keep a spare key in my billfold.  It's just a plastic key that came with the car when I bought it new, but good enough to open the door a few times.

Some key fobs cost several hundred dollars from the dealer.   ???

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »
i ended up here when my key less system stopped working. didn't end up having to order them, and they are still high. [tinfoil]

the fobs can be replaced with secure ones, but it will cost you =| and i have no idea which company makes the best system, i just know that viper makes/made 4 or 5 different named systems so you can't compare from one installer to the next :mad:

oh and the key in the wallet trick works, but it ruins any pictures you're carrying =(

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
I used to lock my keys in my Ranger and F-150 on a semi-regular basis, usually when I was screwing around with something before getting out I'd just forget them in the ignition. The Ranger had a rear slider that didn't lock at all, so I could just crawl in that way. The F-150 gave me some practice with the wedge-and-rod system.

Now, with my FJ, I only lock the doors via the key fob. That way I know I had the key in hand when the doors got locked. Haven't locked myself out in almost two years. Using the remote to lock it up turns off the headlights too, so I haven't killed the battery yet either.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
course...  Nothing says you need to copy your own remote fob.    [popcorn]
I know a guy who built a remote "fob listener" gadget just for giggles.  Set the thing up in a busy parking lot, it would record any remote keyless entry signals anyone sent out and duplicate them.

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but it used to be that the only difference between the "lock" signal and the "unlock" signal was a few well-defined bits.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:59:54 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »
I know a guy who built a remote "fob listener" gadget just for giggles.  Set the thing up in a busy parking lot, it would record any remote keyless entry signals anyone sent out and duplicate them.

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but it used to be that the only difference between the "lock" signal and the "unlock" signal was a few well-defined bits.

Still is.  Even the COTS "secure" keyless fobs are not very secure.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 12:50:53 AM »
I always have a spare key in my wallet.  The wife just hadn't gotten around to making my copies of the key yet.  We've only had the car for a week.  Next time we get a car, I'm making her do this the minute it's in our possession. 

Yeah, I know the feeling.  Like the time I had to give my emergency key to someone who was going to pick up my car later that night; then locked myself out that afternoon.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »

Yeah, I know the feeling.  Like the time I had to give my emergency key to someone who was going to pick up my car later that night; then locked myself out that afternoon.   ;/

Doh!  It never fails, just like the wife locking the keys in the car we don't have spares for yet.  She couldn't do it in the old car, which I did have a spare to.   :laugh:
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:44 AM »
In all fairness, there is a brand new tiny person to distracted her...  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 06:56:41 AM »
i recently locked my keys in the car  along with a 2 year old. the fire dept did the wedge trick and opened the door
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
What did they use to open up the 2 year old?  :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »
oh and the key in the wallet trick works, but it ruins any pictures you're carrying

Not a problem; I only carry pictures of keys.  It actually enhances the pictures, gives them an embossed look.

=)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »
What did they use to open up the 2 year old?  :O

thev lil heathen can and will get outa the carseat and open the door.  if she wants to.  this time she didn't want to. preferred to join mom in wailing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I