Author Topic: Curruent Go-To Freeware Anti-Virus (Win7 64bit)  (Read 5981 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Curruent Go-To Freeware Anti-Virus (Win7 64bit)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
Thread necromancy.

Probably this weekend migrating from Kaspersky to Sophos. I'm very not happy, but I didn't argue against it. Kaspersky Endpoint Security was rock solid whenever dialed in. Overhead isn't too horrible considering NOTHING got past it. In fairness, part of that was good training we gave to users. In three years, we got two malware samples (unopened) that we had to send to Kaspersky. Generally sorted within an hour or two.

It's solely the amount of configuration necessary to dial in that annoyed the CIO to the point where he said "We're switching. Find something else." I don't blame him. At all. Just because Kaspersky stopped every malware the world threw at us didn't excuse the impact on production during the Win10 and AutoDesk 2017 deployments.

Literally with Kaspersky, my malware concern was "nottin', carry the nottin', divide by nottin'". Sure, once every couple years, it was a nightmare to fuss with the config but the support was excellent.

Now...  I'm still on the hoof if something bad happens but literally there's nothing I can do but depend on a vendor. Only F-Secure is on the same level as Kaspersky, but they're even WORSE on the configuration end. Sophos is also "cloud managed", which is on par with driving a sports car with the trunk filled with unstabilized nitroglycerin. If you don't hit anything and odds are low that you would, it's awesome. However, when the low probability event actually occurs, you're in a world of hurt. Kaspersky was like a T-72. Runs over fascist malware all day long, but every 18 months you have to beat on the engine with a wrench because Microsoft or AutoDesk randomly filled the tank with lightly preowned water instead of diesel. After enough vodka and sullen rage, it'd calm down until the next Microsoft 'surprise'.

I'll continue to run Kaspersky at home because I can deal with the annoyances as a tradeoff for the fact that no one has continuously outperformed them. Plus they're the only AV company that I've never heard of cooperating with government entities. They're still massively screwing up by expanding their functionality range to meet edge/niche customers at the expense of simplicity and ease of operation. This was and is a mistake.

Everything has confirmed my opinion of Sophos. It's good enough but not great, and it is indeed a champion of the Apple way of thought. It's almost insulting simple and if it doesn't fit your needs, kindly die in a fire. Now give us money. But it thankfully does (currently) fit our needs and it's not a bad design. They provide good, rather than furious avenging deity level, protection. Not hideously overpriced. Thankfully, mostly no Cult like devotion.

Side-note, we'll probably continue to use Kaspersky for email scanning on the Exchange server. It's old school, almost neglected product (the software is neglected, not the virus definitions) which is excellent news. Very low amount of configuration, just works, good performance and crushes malware like a T-72 running over a counterrevolutionary chicken. Very little badly and annoyingly implemented feature bloat. Probably good idea to have two very different antivirus products anyways.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
On the home user (meaning poor and cheap) side, I've had more and more friends switch from Avast! and AVG to Avira. Haven't looked at it yet myself, so can't comment.

I notice that when this thread was new-ish somebody mention using Avast! and Thunderbird. That was the combination that led me to dump Avast! on my primary desktop computer: it screwed with my Thunderbird, so it had to go. I tried both Bitdefender and AVG. Didn't particularly care for either, but AVG won out because it's slightly less annoying.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
I'm still using MSE without any problems, but my ISP, Charter Spectrum, has some kind of security suite (had to type that word 3 times because my fingers kept doing "quite") that home customers can install on 10 computers for free.  I should check it out; at least see what they have.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »
Bitdefender is the only free AV I use for my clients. Avira is OK; but the pop ups get annoying, and their detection rate varies. Security Essentials is pretty much a lost cause.

Yeah, I feel cheated about that.  Although the Win7 64-bit came with my laptop, with MSE "protection," I think there was an implied guarantee there. I operated on the assumption that MS best knew how to protect their own products.  Silly me.

Gr.

I recognize the difficulty of dealing with all the virus variations, but I still think MSE should be at the forefront in terms of virus and spyware defense of their own operating systems.

Double-Gr.

Snarl.

Double-snarl.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »
From what I can tell online, charter security suite is a repackaged (and group licensed) F-Secure antivirus.  Anybody heard of it?  Isit better than MSE?
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 08:58:58 PM »
Yeah, I feel cheated about that.  Although the Win7 64-bit came with my laptop, with MSE "protection," I think there was an implied guarantee there. I operated on the assumption that MS best knew how to protect their own products.  Silly me.

Gr.

I recognize the difficulty of dealing with all the virus variations, but I still think MSE should be at the forefront in terms of virus and spyware defense of their own operating systems.

Double-Gr.

Snarl.

Double-snarl.

Terry

If that was really the case, then there wouldn't be a huge market for AV.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »

Gr.

Double-Gr.

Snarl.

Double-snarl.

Terry

When it first came out, people were surprised by how good it was. Like any other product, it faced competition. Other stuff is better now. Shrug.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »
If that was really the case, then there wouldn't be a huge market for AV.

When it first came out, people were surprised by how good it was. Like any other product, it faced competition. Other stuff is better now. Shrug.

But with their enormous resources...
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »

Kinda like how virtually all car companies just buy audio components from other manufacturers. Despite how many they install, and you'd think car companies would be on the forefront of audio for their own cars.

Different skillsets and knowledge base.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.