Author Topic: Kafka Kourt: Brief in First Amendment Issue Trial Sealed  (Read 2000 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Kafka Kourt: Brief in First Amendment Issue Trial Sealed
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/us/02bar.html?_r=2&hp

Really couldn't make this up if I tried.  You need to read the article.

Use of prosecutor's power of subpoena to silence gov't critics, use of judicial powers to silence those critics when they ask for help. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Kafka Kourt: Brief in First Amendment Issue Trial Sealed
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Wow.

Just... wow... [tinfoil] :O
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
Wow.

Just... wow... [tinfoil] :O

No.  Not "Wow."

More like "Tar.  Feathers.  Rail.  Assembly required.  Use of rope may be needed."

I'm sure Kafka would be able to pen a sentence spanning several pages describing this case and its implications, affect and possible outcome(s), ending with whatever the German equivalent of "Horry Clap, WTF?" might be.  And it would make perhaps more sense than what appwears to be present here.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:50 AM »
My "wow" is because I just don't have the words to express myself. Nothing more.

I don't think I'd run 'em out on a rail. This kinda stuff makes me think more of "peoplechimes", actually (so your rope WOULD be useful)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Maybe some copies of the suppressed briefs were circulated before the judge issued his crazy edict, and will eventually be posted to the internet by person or persons unknown?  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
Maybe some copies of the suppressed briefs were circulated before the judge issued his crazy edict, and will eventually be posted to the internet by person or persons unknown?  >:D

Not a chance.  From the info available, the gag order was in effect long before the first round of appeals started.

The rules require that the brief be available for public inspection.  But the court - my guess - was the one to redact all mention, allusion, hint, or suggestion of the issues.  My guess is based on the fact that it appears that the brief's author just went ahead and wrote it like they would any other brief, as opposed to trying to side-step things they knew were not going to be allowed to see the light of day by the public.  I've seen other briefs where the author then redacted only the words that were absolutely necessary, leaving articles, conjunctions, adjectives and adverbs galore but nouns and verbs were conspicuous by their absence.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
Calling Wikileaks . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:40:21 PM »
Calling Wikileaks . . .

Not a chance.  All WikiLeaks has to fear is some time in Club Fed.  Publishing the brief, let alone any of the background material, will get you Vince Fostered.

stay safe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »
Here's some more on the deal, to include links to others who were targeted by the federales "special" treatment:
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/more-on-the-siobhan-reynolds-case

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
If you set out in the world to remove all legal means of redress you might ought to check that your subjects are disarmed and docile. One hopes that the SC sticks a gavel far up someone's 4th point of contact very soon.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.