Author Topic: Jerry Pournelle's Take" Blocking ObamaCare & Tea Party  (Read 1867 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Jerry Pournelle's Take" Blocking ObamaCare & Tea Party
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/2010/Q4/view647.html#Wednesday

A lot of insight stuffed into a small post.

A couple tidbits:

BLOCKING OBAMACARE
"First, send an Obama-care repeal bill to the Senate. See if any Democrats will vote for it. If not, get them on record. If they will, then Obama must veto it; try to pass it over his veto. Get those who are defending it on record.

Second, refuse any appropriation for enforcing it. Append "provided that no revenues appropriated under this Act shall be used in any way for enforcement of the Health Care Act" to every appropriation for anything else; then just don't initiate or pass any appropriation for its enforcement. Again make the Democrats step up and defend their agenda.

The nation repudiated the Obama agenda last night. The Republicans need to make certain that the next election is also a referendum on that agenda."

TEA PARTY
"The Tea Party can be proud. They hold the balance of power in the United States. It is no mean accomplishment.

And the Republican leadership needs to understand: the Tea Party played by the rules. They ran in primaries, and where they didn't win they still turned out to vote Republican. It is now the turn of the Country Club Republicans to learn how to play to win. The Tea Party holds the balance of power here -- and West Virginia shows there are alternatives to the Republican Party if the Country Club hasn't learned that. It's not an attractive alternative. It is better if the Republicans become a genuine center-right party."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Jerry Pournelle's Take" Blocking ObamaCare & Tea Party
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
I generally don't like Jerry Pournelle or his writing, but I agree with this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:27:26 AM »

I thought his military scifi beats any of the current practitioners, not to mention Footfall & Lucifer's Hammer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
I agree with his argument.

I'm rereading The Mote in God's Eye now.

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »
If the tea party folks want to do something about the country club Republicans, they can run candidates against them.

What I am concerned about is with only the House under non-Democrat control, I don't know how much they can do besides prevent things or cut funding to stuff.  I hope I am wrong on that.  It bothers me because I am concerned a lot of the tea party enthusiasm will be gone in 2 years if the Republicans can't make BIG changes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »
Tea Party did well for an unorganized grassroots movement that started less than 2 years ago.

What I am concerned about is with only the House under non-Democrat control, I don't know how much they can do besides prevent things or cut funding to stuff. 
Once they're sworn in, watch to see what the GOP does when it comes time to raise the debt ceiling. I think this has been done 3 times under Obama, and the last time, I read that 100% of the Republicans opposed it.

We'll see if they still oppose it this time around, when they'll have enough votes in the House to make "NO" stick; their actions (or lack of same) will set the tone through 2012.

Will they hang tough - or fold? If the past is any guide, enough will follow the latter course to give the Dems what they want, and there will be all sorts of excuses that sound like "necessity" or "compromise" or "meeting in the middle" or something similar.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
from Hawkmoon:
Heresy!!!  To the rack!  Srsly, dude, what's your problem?  Niven and Pournelle RAWK!  <I really shouldn't start this in the Poli forum>
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »
from Hawkmoon:Heresy!!!  To the rack!  Srsly, dude, what's your problem?  Niven and Pournelle RAWK!  <I really shouldn't start this in the Poli forum>
I've read Footfall which was decent, but I'm not sure I have read much else. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »
Niven and Pournelle RAWK!

Together better than either alone.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 04:01:09 PM »
I've read Footfall which was decent, but I'm not sure I have read much else. 

Footfall was OK but, Lucifer's Hammer and the Mote books are much better.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
Make the Democrats the party of "NO". 

Send the senate and Obama bills to repel Healthcare, Banking/Wall Street Reform, extend and expand the Bush Tax Cuts.  Cut the deficit/debt, make the Dems play defense, Gorram it. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
Will they hang tough - or fold? If the past is any guide, enough will follow the latter course to give the Dems what they want, and there will be all sorts of excuses that sound like "necessity" or "compromise" or "meeting in the middle" or something similar.

Sadly, this is what I expect.  The GOP - The Party the Just Wants to be Liked...sniff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.