Author Topic: LaPierre: 'We're not done, yet'  (Read 3436 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
LaPierre: 'We're not done, yet'
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:29:49 AM »
Opposing view: 'We're not done, yet'
Court's ruling is just opening salvo in NRA's bid to extend gun rights.

By Wayne LaPierre

The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm for any lawful purpose. Period.

The Founding Fathers meant it, 4 million NRA members defend it, and the U.S. Supreme Court confirmed it.

For three decades, lawful residents of the District of Columbia had no right to possess a handgun in their own homes. Today, they do. That's a good thing, because good people should be able to protect themselves, especially at home.

The court firmly, and rightly, upheld that basic right to self-defense and declared the gun ban unconstitutional. This historic decision cements the individual right to bear arms as a cornerstone of American constitutional law.

"We start therefore with a strong presumption that the Second Amendment right is exercised individually and belongs to all Americans," the court ruled.

This case was, simply, about the basic human right to a firearm for personal protection. The right to bear arms  an individual right  just like the basic human rights to free speech, to worship and to vote.

Basic, human freedom for all law-abiding Americans. That's worth fighting for  and we're not done, yet.

This monumental decision is just the opening salvo. The court declared the individual right to own a firearm, but not every American can exercise that right. While Washington, D.C., residents can now possess a handgun, lawful residents of San Francisco and Chicago cannot.

Would we stand idly by if Washington residents could vote, but not those of Chicago? Or if Georgians could freely practice their faiths, while Californians had no freedom to worship? There would be outrage  and there is, from 80 million gun owners and every American who values freedom.

The NRA is filing lawsuits against cities in which gun ownership is banned, to restore individual freedom for the lawful Americans who live there. Because freedom for some Americans, and not for all, isn't freedom  it's discrimination. And it's wrong.

The freedom to bear arms belongs, individually, to every law-abiding American. It always has, and the NRA will keep fighting to preserve that fundamental right.

Wayne LaPierre is executive vice president of the National Rifle Association of America.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: LaPierre: 'We're not done, yet'
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:40:22 AM »
We're just glad to see you getting started for a change......  rolleyes

Now quit "compromising" and start earning those membership dues by taking back some ground....  angry
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:26:47 AM »
We're just glad to see you getting started for a change......  rolleyes

Now quit "compromising" and start earning those membership dues by taking back some ground....  angry

Well, write a check to the NRA-ILA as well. Because by law, the "NRA" can't give a dime of it's dues to the lobbying side.

I wonder how many people know that.  undecided
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
Obviously, Seeker-Two didn't.  Wink

I'd still rather send my contributions to the NRA-ILA than the frothing-at-the-mouth GOA.  (And I do, actually...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »
I read somewhere that GOA diverts a lot of its money to Pratt and his relatives "hired" as lobbyists. Opensecrets.org seems to confirm that, but I may be reading it wrong.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 04:38:35 AM »
You know, I would have expected that the first supreme court decision on the second amendment in like 70 years would have been brought forth by the NRA. Guess 30 years of the unconstitutional DC gun ban wasn't long enough for them to spring into action.   rolleyes

I think I'll fund people who get results.  I'll fiscally reward action, not words.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:37 AM »
I do not mind the frothing of the GOA.  They make the NRA look reasonable, so I give them both money. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 08:30:29 AM »
You can't buy a handgun in San Francisco?
Since when?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:21:31 AM »
Nitro, you can buy one is San Fransissyco but you cannot have it in public housing.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
Nick-

There is a reason they wouldn't touch this as they knew how bad it could have been.  We won 5-4 if it had been 5-4 the other way, just one more judge, we would all be knee deep in *expletive deleted*it right now.

The NRA now has all the ammo it needs to fight similar bans and will do so as demonstrated already.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
Nitro, you can buy one is San Fransissyco but you cannot have it in public housing.

How do they resolve the contradiction there?

Liberal: There is no more crime in public housing. Crime cuts across all income levels. You can have the same crime in a neighborhood of rich people as you do in housing that assists the economically disadvantaged. Rich people kill each other too!

Liberal: No guns in public housing.

Why is that, then, hmmmmmmmmm? Do they just not want to admit that public housing is where a law-abiding person is most likely to NEED a gun for self-defense, so they cover up the failure of public housing by sacrificing the lives of the innocent with that sort of ban?

Seems like it to me. What despicable hypocrisy.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:10:07 PM »
Maybe I should have been supporting the Cato institute.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »

Ah, gotcha.

From what I knew of public housing in CA (A friend of mine spent some time in some after his wife left him) that'd be one of the PRIMARY places I'd want a gun for protection.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »
I think this image is appropriate to the thread:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 03:46:42 AM »
I think this image is appropriate to the thread:

Based on that, maybe it was a good thing NRA didn't take up Heller, after all.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.