Author Topic: Your next investment location - North Korea.  (Read 3279 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Your next investment location - North Korea.
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:53 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/20/us-korea-north-idUSBRE86J08X20120720

The source added that the cabinet had created a special bureau to take control of the decaying economy from the military - one of the world's largest - which under Kim's father was given pride of place in running the country.

Russian media state further that this occurred at Chinese pressure, and that reforms along the Chinese model are expected.

Millions of starving North Koreans, willing to work cheaply in manufacturing:  soon.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Your next investment location - North Korea.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
And you thought Chinese goods were hit and miss in the QC department...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
Millions of starving North Koreans, willing to work cheaply in manufacturing:  soon.

Yep, you just watch.  The Chicoms price themselves right out of business, and the Norks pick up.  Starving brainwashed industrial serfs making iphones in Foxconn's Pyongyang factory compound.

I've wondered for a while where that chain ends.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
This would not surprise me about North Korea.  As a country, I see no reason why they can't do what China did in terms of manufacturing.  The time is coming when manufacturing will be returning to the USA as costs rise in China in particular.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »
This would not surprise me about North Korea.  As a country, I see no reason why they can't do what China did in terms of manufacturing.  The time is coming when manufacturing will be returning to the USA as costs rise in China in particular.

Why wouldn't they move to India? Or African countries?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
India is doing very well.  My sense is that most African governments are not sufficiently stable to attract businesses on a major scale. Plus they don't have the infrastructure to support a lot of development.  I suspect North Korea has a similar problem,
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »
India is doing very well.  My sense is that most African governments are not sufficiently stable to attract businesses on a major scale. Plus they don't have the infrastructure to support a lot of development.  I suspect North Korea has a similar problem,

I seem to remember that there are several African countries experiencing very significant growth, especially with Chinese help.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »
I can't quote references, but my understanding is that China has been investing in mineral development in Africa.  I suspect China wants to control commodities for future gain and control.  Unless something has changed in the last 10 years, African mining in general is very labor intensive.  The same could be said about some of the South American mining projects, but that has been changing a lot since the early 1980's there.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »
Leading civilizations have been trying to mine and grow subharan Africa since at least the time of the Pharoahs...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
Or not.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-says-u-hostility-forcing-reexamine-nuclear-114332820.html

Kim Jong-un is rattling the nuclear saber again.

Hostility???  I thought we had been pretty much ignoring them....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
Or not.
http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-says-u-hostility-forcing-reexamine-nuclear-114332820.html

Kim Jong-un is rattling the nuclear saber again.

Eh.. Just as likely a pro-forma display of militancy to help control things with the DPRK military, now that General whoever-it-was has caught a bullet in the head.

If this actually moves things along in a positive direction for the Norks, I think that once they get out of the Vietnam/Nike phase of things, they have a potential future running the entire country as an amusement park with a mock-totalitarianism theme.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
Maybe we are hostile in a passive-aggressive sort of way by ignoring them...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26:52 PM »

If by ignoring you mean stationing a garrison of ~28,000 troops on their border... then yeah, we've been doing that for many, many decades  =D

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »
Re: Sub-Saharan Africa.

There are a couple of central African countries that have been somewhat stable for a while and have been developing their textile industry (seems to be the first "industry" a country develops).  I remember seeing more and more Land's End clothing coming from Mauritania, Mali, Central African Republic, Cameroon and couple others I disremember.  The first year at Central States, I handled LE, and there was nothing coming from Africa.  By the time I left about 15-20% of all they imported was from Africa.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:03:46 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »
Yup. Japan and South Korea (with a little push from their Japanese conquerors a few decades ago) developed to the point that they could build quality automobiles and pretty much anything else. So the cheap manufacture of smaller, less complex items moved to places like Singapore and China. (China, of course, has an age-old tradition of exporting silk, tea, metalware, and, well, China. So making widgets for Westerners was right up their alley.) As business improves for the Asians, the labor costs get a little higher, and now it's the Africans' turn.

Though I want my fellow Americans to have jobs, I also want the third-worlders to have jobs. Keeps them from blowing things up and hijacking ships. Besides, liberty and democracy usually come from the growth of a private sector economy that creates a middle class. The bourgeoisie likes to have some freedom and some say in government, at least for itself. That gets the ball rolling.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife