Author Topic: The cost of the US healthcare system  (Read 3934 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The cost of the US healthcare system
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
Yeah but the medical industry generally refuses to even quote the rate for a non-complication procedure.

And if a contractor busts a window, or a mechanic drops a screw down the intake, he has to pay for the extra repair costs, not me  :mad:

I would point out that in recent years, the Feds and the private insurers have taken the approach that if certain 'never events' occur in healthcare, the facility/providers have to eat the costs associated with those events.  The Feds or the insurers will not pay for them.  So it is a start.

http://psnet.ahrq.gov/primer.aspx?primerID=3

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
Look, this is a cartel set up to benefit the industry. Name another business where it is legal to not disclose prices, charge different prices based on who you are "serving" etc.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
Look, this is a cartel set up to benefit the industry. Name another business where it is legal to not disclose prices, charge different prices based on who you are "serving" etc.

The practice of law.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
i'm glad i have insurance.  the plate in my wrist cost over 50k. :O  granted about 7.5k of that was for cat-scans to check for internal injuries.  a friend of mine slipped and fell in costa-rica and broke her wrist.  the total cost of surgery, doctors, hospital, etc was $450.00 usd.  figure that out. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »
Do you have any idea how many goats you can buy in Costa Rica for $450? ;)

When I had my inner ear surgery in 2005, it was to remove a cholesteatoma, a skin-like growth. Once the doc had things opened up, he found that the two tiny bones that transmit sound--the malleus and the incus--had disintegrated to almost nothing. He rebuilt them using artificial bone.

If I'd just gotten a quote from him for the cholesteatoma, what should he have done when he saw the condition of those two bones? Just asked me after I'd come out of the anesthetics if I wanted to have another surgery to rebuild those bones?

When my dad had bypass surgery, they found other things that needed repair.

It's not like replacing shock absorbers or putting caps on teeth.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
Oh, I don't know. It's not uncommon to go replacing brake pads and run into bad rotors, bearings, or a ton of other unexpected things.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

grampster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
Part of the cost problem with medicine is the same thing that is wrong with education.  Buildings that house them are grand edifices rather than utilitarian buildings to serve the sick and injured.

Somehow, I think at some point, the statists who have rallied for the last 6 decades for the government to be our caretaker are going to discover that they should have been much less aggressive as the unintended consequences are going to be glaringly obvious.  

The present global "high alert" may just be the straw man for rationalizing more loss of freedom.  Government gets more control every time they scare the sheep.  Healthcare falls into that category as well.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw