Author Topic: Question about costs of government health care  (Read 7975 times)

grey54956

Re: Question about costs of government health care
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 02:55:49 PM »
And of course, this is why with WIC and foodstamp and other programs that prevent millions from facing starvation or malnutrition, the price of food has risen dramatically, making food unaffordable for the average American.

Oh, wait.  It hasn't.  Never mind...

Strangely, in Indiana, a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) receive nearly $600 per month in food stamps. 

My wife and I, with two small children, do not receive food stamps.  Our monthly food budget is roughly $200.  We buy a lot on sale, use coupons, watch the adds religiously.  We have been watching food prices increase for quite some time.

Food stampers receive gov't money, which allows them to buy more and better food than they would normally be able to buy.  And there is no reason for them not to spend all their food stamp money, as it would only go to show that they don't really need that much.  So, they spend it all, buying more and more food, resulting in increased demand which in turn causes the prices to rise... because there is too much money being pumped into the food system.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »
Strangely, in Indiana, a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) receive nearly $600 per month in food stamps. 

My wife and I, with two small children, do not receive food stamps.  Our monthly food budget is roughly $200.  We buy a lot on sale, use coupons, watch the adds religiously.  We have been watching food prices increase for quite some time.

Food stampers receive gov't money, which allows them to buy more and better food than they would normally be able to buy.  And there is no reason for them not to spend all their food stamp money, as it would only go to show that they don't really need that much.  So, they spend it all, buying more and more food, resulting in increased demand which in turn causes the prices to rise... because there is too much money being pumped into the food system.

Reminds me of a time I was passing through Indiana and stopped to pick up groceries.  There was a sign that food stamps would only pay for the $5/pack of American cheese, food stamps could not be used to buy the "processed cheese product" that all of us from working class family had to buy.  Must be nice to be on food stamps.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »
Wehave to buy Mexican Coca-Cola to get the real stuff =|

Mmmm, cuban sugar :laugh:

I kinda miss the Columbian "sugar" myself.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:59 PM »
We buy a lot on sale, use coupons, watch the adds religiously.  We have been watching food prices increase for quite some time.

just in case you havn't found it yet, this site is handy =D

I kinda miss the Columbian "sugar" myself.... ;)

:angel:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 06:38:10 AM »
Government Run HealthCare:  "The efficiency of the DMV combined with the compassion of the IRS."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 06:10:10 AM »
Government Run HealthCare:  "The efficiency of the DMV combined with the compassion of the IRS."
With enforcement provided by the ATF
Look, tiny text!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
As much as I dread it, we all have to die.  The major cost is incurred at the end of life care.  That is where they will cut their costs.

Cost will rise because many with a runny nose will head to the doctor when they might not have before due to at least the co-pay.  Costs at the end of life will increase as well, because there will be more utilizing the system.  It will be a right not a privelege as Teddie Kenedy liked to say.  We will have government hospitals and government hospice.  They will be much like many old folks homes who get very poor care at a substantial price by poorly trained individuals who are poorly paid.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)