Author Topic: Millions face shrinking Social Security payments  (Read 6484 times)

coppertales

• friend
Re: Millions face shrinking Social Security payments
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:15 AM »
Figures....I am going on SS in January......chris3

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
Wife #2 and I have decided that SS won't really be available for us when that time comes, so I'm busting my butt towards a second retirement, and we're both working hard for a nest egg to substitute in lieu of SS.  If there's anything left in SS then, it'll be a pleasant surprise. 

BTW, from what I read, it's not that the SS checks are shrinking, it's that there won't be a COLA for two years. 

There is a difference...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
Wife #2 and I have decided that SS won't really be available for us when that time comes, so I'm busting my butt towards a second retirement, and we're both working hard for a nest egg to substitute in lieu of SS.  If there's anything left in SS then, it'll be a pleasant surprise. 

BTW, from what I read, it's not that the SS checks are shrinking, it's that there won't be a COLA for two years. 

There is a difference...

Yep. But the media, I mean, the Democrats, will portray cutting the growth of a government program as a cut. Ergo, the Democrats just presided over a cut to social security.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Yep. But the media, I mean, the Democrats, will portray cutting the growth of a government program as a cut. Ergo, the Democrats just presided over a cut to social security.

The Dems/media have always stated that reducing growth was a cut, unless it served their purposes to state otherwise (i.e. "we're not cutting the military, we are just reducing the growth to what it was 20 years ago").

This time, they will have to take tactic 2:  it's a cut, but Bush made us do it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
No COLA, just hypertrophic grown in spending everywhere else...

Re building "nest-eggs"... What makes you think you will able to create your own private retirement plan?  That suggests individual responsibility and private ownership of your wealth.  Haven't you heard that such ideas are "unfair?"  You mean you want to be better-off than other people?  Naw, can't happen in the New America.  Think ahead.  We've already had ideas about nationalizing all 401K plans and converting them to gov't-backed annuities.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:32:21 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
Wife #2 and I have decided that SS won't really be available for us when that time comes, so I'm busting my butt towards a second retirement, and we're both working hard for a nest egg to substitute in lieu of SS.
A suggestion, buy gold and keep it in a safe deposit box.  If we go into a depression, the gold can buy the same amount as it would have in inflation.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
A suggestion, buy SOME gold and keep it in a safe deposit box.  If we go into a depression, the gold can buy the same amount as it would have in inflation.

Fixed that for you.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Hedge your bets. Insert other folksy wisdom here.

Effectively: Yes, it's good to have a plan for the WORST of the worst. It's foolish to make that your only plan, though. Diversification mitigates risk.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »
A suggestion, buy gold and keep it in a safe deposit box.  If we go into a depression, the gold can buy the same amount as it would have in inflation.
Better hope they don't outlaw buying, selling, and owning gold in the next depression the way they did in the last depression.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
Gold, we've been told, is a barbarous relic.

Of course so is the U.S. Constitution.

I have this on good authority.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
Better hope they don't outlaw buying, selling, and owning gold in the next depression the way they did in the last depression.
They'd probably just institute price controls, to deal with those evil profiteers.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
They'd probably just institute price controls, to deal with those evil profiteers.

Actually, given that they are openly discussing nationalizing 401(k)s, I think they'd simply go with the confiscation.