Author Topic: Holy Protectionism, Batman!  (Read 2746 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Holy Protectionism, Batman!
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9AAM41G1&show_article=1

BOSTON (AP) - Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said Wednesday he would support changing state law to allow him to appoint an interim successor to Sen. Edward Kennedy's seat while a special election is held.

Unlike most states, a successor to a vacant U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts is chosen by special election, not appointed by the governor.

In a recent letter to lawmakers, Kennedy, who died Tuesday night, said the law should be changed to allow the governor to appoint someone to serve in the Senate during the course of the election—provided that person pledge not to run for the seat.

In radio interviews Wednesday morning, Patrick called the idea "entirely reasonable" and told WBUR-FM that he would sign the bill if it reached his desk.

"Massachusetts needs two voices" in the Senate, Patrick said.

Although Massachusetts is dominated by Democrats, a change in the law isn't a sure thing.

Senate President Therese Murray and House Speaker Robert DeLeo, both Democrats, issued statements of condolence early Wednesday, but neither has expressed support for giving the governor the power to name an interim successor. Republicans in both chambers, who hold about 10 percent of legislative seats in Massachusetts, oppose the idea.

Without the change, Senate Democrats could potentially fall one vote short on any health care overhaul legislation, were such a bill brought up before the special election. Health care had been Kennedy's core issue for decades.

Democrats hold a potentially filibuster-proof margin in the Senate, but some moderate Democrats have been wavering. Another Democrat, Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia, has been seriously ill and often absent.

Any change in state law is not likely to happen immediately. Lawmakers are not expected to return to formal sessions until after Labor Day.

State law requires a special election for the seat no sooner than 145 days and no later than 160 days after a vacancy occurs. The law bans an interim appointee.

The clock for a special election is triggered either on the date of a resignation or the incumbent's death. It's up to the governor to pick the exact date of the election.

Any race to succeed Kennedy would be crowded and fiercely fought.

Despite speculation that Kennedy's wife, Vicki, could assume his Senate seat, family aides have said she is not interested in replacing her husband either temporarily or permanently. One of Kennedy's nephews, former Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II, has also been described as interested.

Other potential Democratic candidates include state Attorney General Martha Coakley, U.S. Reps. Stephen Lynch, Michael Capuano, Edward Markey, James McGovern and William Delahunt, and former Rep. Martin Meehan, now chancellor of the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.

On the Republican side, potential candidates include Cape Cod businessman Jeff Beatty, former Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey, former U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan, state Sen. Scott Brown and Chris Egan, former U.S. ambassador to the Organization for Cooperation and Development.

The succession law was changed in 2004, when Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., became his party's presidential nominee and Republican Mitt Romney was the state's governor. Before the change, the governor would have appointed a replacement to serve until the next general election.

That would have created the opportunity for Romney to install a fellow Republican in office, a move that Democrats who control the state legislature sought to prevent.

Last week, Kennedy asked Massachusetts lawmakers to change state law to give Patrick, a fellow supporter of President Barack Obama and a backer of Obama's health care overhaul, the ability to appoint an interim replacement should he be unable to continue serving.

"It is vital for this Commonwealth to have two voices speaking for the needs of its citizens and two votes in the Senate during the approximately five months between a vacancy and an election," Kennedy said in a letter to Patrick.

Change the law to suit the political whims of those in power.... nice.

It's okay to have the governor appoint a successor... but only if the governor is a democrat. :mad:  Otherwise we need to change the law.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Holy Protectionism, Batman!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
They might need that extra vote to nationalize health care, dontcha know.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »
There was a time before I followed politics.

I was much happier during that period.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »
If only ostriches ruled the world... =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Change the law to suit the political whims of those in power.... nice.

Well, it worked for kings and communist dictators, didn't it?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
Maybe he can offer the seat to Rod Blagojevich?

I understand he's available these days...   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mejeepnut

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
Maybe he can offer the seat to Rod Blagojevich?

I understand he's available these days...   =D

Ya but didn't he spend all his money on lawyers,he could never afford to take the position.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
Nothing like a plan to backfire. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »
I thought Mass law stated that Ted would name his successor in his will?....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 06:39:15 AM »
I thought that there's a law that MA had to have a Kennedy as Senator.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »
Maybe they could figure out how to pardon Bernard Madoff and appoint him.  He would probably cost the taxpayers less money in the long run. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:14:43 PM »
Maybe they could figure out how to pardon Bernard Madoff and appoint him.  He would probably cost the taxpayers less money in the long run. 

Imagine the governmental supplemental retirement program he could create.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18:27 PM »
I thought that there's a law that MA had to have a Kennedy as Senator.

No, just a vile, authoritarian bigot. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 12:04:49 AM »
Change the law to suit the political whims of those in power.... nice.[\quote]

They have done it before in Massachusetts. Back when Kerry was running for president, Mass had a republican governor and the law said the governor gets to appoint a replacement fora vacant senate seat. Well, the democrats didnt like that, so they changed the law.

Now they want to change it back to suit the current political winds.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 06:06:07 AM »
And yet the people of Mass keep electing the same bums over and over again. Or I guess I should say, enough of the people of Mass to make a majority do.
Look, tiny text!