Author Topic: School restrooms for transgendered elementary school student  (Read 5526 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
School restrooms for transgendered elementary school student
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/28/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/

Should an elementary school allow a student with a male body use the female restroom because the student identifies as transgender?  Interesting article, and I can see how difficult it is for the school to balance competing interests.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: School restrooms for transgendered elementary school student
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
This thread is doomed, because the answer will depend heavily on whether one thinks gender is biological or psychological.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
Gender is a grammatical attribute. Sex is biological. A person's "identification" is their own problem.

No offense to the legitimately transsexual/intersexual

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
Gender is a grammatical attribute. Sex is biological. A person's "identification" is their own problem.

No offense to the legitimately transsexual/intersexual

In German, the word for "boy" is masculine, "girl" is neuter, and "turnip" is feminine.  :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/28/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/

Should an elementary school allow a student with a male body use the female restroom because the student identifies as transgender?  Interesting article, and I can see how difficult it is for the school to balance competing interests.

The answer that will prevent this thread from spiraling into arguments is:

The government ought to get out of schooling so parents that want this kind of stuff in their schools can get it and those who don't can go somewhere else. Government, of course, offers no such options.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »
The answer that will prevent this thread from spiraling into arguments is:

The government ought to get out of schooling so parents that want this kind of stuff in their schools can get it and those who don't can go somewhere else. Government, of course, offers no such options.

Unless, of course, the parents of this transgendered six year old insist of putting their s/he creature into a school that has a bunch of kids already enrolled whose parents don't want the s/he to be part of the school experience.

Sorry, I blame the parents of s/he here.

Kids don't know what transgenderism is, at age 6.

Purple haired "girl" is clearly a boy.

Whatever psychological confusion this is, will most likely COMPLETELY evaporate in the early teens when hormone production kicks in.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
In German, the word for "boy" is masculine, "girl" is neuter, and "turnip" is feminine.  :facepalm:

No wonder they're screwed up.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
I've got a serious problem on this one.  Mom says the child preferred girl clothes and toys at 18 onths.  Mom also said that the child asked at age 4 when they could go to the doctor and make him into a girl.  All of this sounds a hell of a lot like a parent problem.  What 4 year old knows anything about sex change operations unless Momy and Daddy are discussing it with the child?  Lots of young children play with cross-gender toys, or play in a anner typically associated with the other gender.  Tomboy anyone?  At what point in all of this does a proper parents suggest a sex change operation series to a child in kindergarten?  Momm and Dad need looked at.  Hard.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
I've got a serious problem on this one.  Mom says the child preferred girl clothes and toys at 18 onths.  Mom also said that the child asked at age 4 when they could go to the doctor and make him into a girl.  All of this sounds a hell of a lot like a parent problem.  What 4 year old knows anything about sex change operations unless Momy and Daddy are discussing it with the child?  Lots of young children play with cross-gender toys, or play in a anner typically associated with the other gender.  Tomboy anyone?  At what point in all of this does a proper parents suggest a sex change operation series to a child in kindergarten?  Momm and Dad need looked at.  Hard.

This was my thinking. If the kid is Transgender, that strongly, that early I think a parent is living vicariously through him.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »
Restrooms are built for specific excretory systems.  It doesn't matter whether you flounce in or lumber in.  Once upon a time such matters were the province of common sense, not victimology.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
 :facepalm:

As a society, we spend far too much time worrying about and accommodating the sensibilities of the lunatic fringe.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »
:facepalm:

As a society, we spend far too much time worrying about and accommodating the sensibilities of the lunatic fringe.

Yep.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:16 AM »
Let the kid use the boys bathroom.

2x4 for the asshat parents that have their 6 year old thinking he is a girl. They wanted a girl and got a boy, boo *expletive deleted*ing hoo. Doesn't give them the right to mentally *expletive deleted*ck up the kid.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 08:42:01 AM »
Let the kid use the boys bathroom.

2x4 for the asshat parents that have their 6 year old thinking he is a girl. They wanted a girl and got a boy, boo *expletive deleted* hoo. Doesn't give them the right to mentally *expletive deleted* up the kid.

They also want to physically *expletive deleted*ck up their kid. If he's really transgendered let him make that decision when he"s 18. Cause I can tell you that if I had freak parents who cut my twig and berries off when i was in Kindergarten and didnt know what they were for at that time...Id *expletive deleted*ing stab them in their sleep.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »
Porta pottie outside and emptied when it fills up.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
Porta pottie outside and emptied when it fills up.

Since the school already offered to let him use two different single occupancy restrooms and the kid's parents weren't mollified, i'd bet a port-a-potty outside wouldn't fly either.

I don't have kids.....but if I have to wonder if the parents of girl's in that school aren't looking into what kinds of lawsuits/criminal charges could stem from knowingly allowing a boy into a batroom with young girls.

And even though it's not an issue now, long before he can get an operation puberty will be advanced enough to make using a girl's restroom a sex offender issue.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:30 PM »
the school already offered to let him use two different single occupancy restrooms and the kid's parents weren't mollified

;/

Time to bring back spanking, and use it on the parents  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
;/

Time to bring back spanking, and use it on the parents  >:D
And . . . if they like it?  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
When did individualism turn into victimology?  I thought our leftist brothers believed in the collective?  But they want all of us to change because of the caprices of one outlier?  This is mass cultural insanity.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
What I can't wait for in this mess is when a hundred or so other parents start a sh!t storm for the school letting a boy use the girls bathroom with their daughters.  Yes, this Mom and Dad have been loud, but I guarantee a 100 pissed off moms and dads can (and will) be louder...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
One small issue with a response: "s/he creature".

You do NOT call a six-year old a "creature", no matter how screwed-up the parents are.

And, as others have said: this is coming from the parents. I noticed their names weren't mentioned: any bets that it's a lesbian couple, or a woman and bi guy?

I've seen homosexual couples raise healthy kids: trick is, they don't turn the kid into a political statement. And that's what's going on here...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
The article indicates it's a hetero couple with several other kids...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »
Restrooms are built for specific excretory systems.  It doesn't matter whether you flounce in or lumber in.  Once upon a time such matters were the province of common sense, not victimology.

Never having actually been in a womans restroom, but I believe they have sit down toilets, which males also use.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
The school attempted to make allownces for the kid to use the single occupancy facilities.

IIRC, most public mens rooms have at least one sit down toliet with a stall.

If the kid has a problem using the urinals, he has other options and at this point, I hesitate to feed into the transgender role. The kid is 6. Exploration, even of oppisette gender roles is normal. Gender determination and sexual identity won't be all that relvent or clear for some time. Hindsight 20/20, many LBGT people knew when they were kids that they were diffrent, but didn't understand the diffrences at the time.

Parents need to stop pushing that kid and just let him develope as he will within the current gender culture in this society. If he chooses to identify diffrently, he can and will in his own time.

Finally, I distinctly remember then when I was that age, when I had to go, I had to go, and getting to a toliet was a hell of a lot more important then gender. I'm pretty sure, when push comes to shove, the kid is going to find a facility to use or wet his pants. If the parents REALLY want their presious baby to feel comfortable at school, they wouldn't screw him up so crazy that he'll end up peeing himself trying to figure out where to go and spend the rest of his school days with his peers tormenting him for it (along with everything else)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 06:46:07 AM »
What exactly is the problem with prepubescent children sharing lavatories?
Look, tiny text!