Author Topic: Every day carry (EDC) light/knife  (Read 4205 times)

member1313

Every day carry (EDC) light/knife
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
I'm looking to start carrying a light and knife with me on a daily basis. I've found that on numerous occasions I think to myself, "Damn, I wish I had a nice bright light with me."

I have a few points to make:

1. I want a light that will fit in the palm of my hand. So, a light between three and four inches in length would probably be good.

2. I want something durable. I'm a clutz, and occasionally drop stuff, so I don't want a bulb to break. Scratches don't bother me so much; I just don't want something that will break.

3. Is there anyone here who knows anything about the MA knife carrying laws? The law is literally a one-paragraph run-on sentence. None of the terms are defined for the purpose of comprehension. Sad

Conwict over at THR sent me some very helpful PMs with regards to a similar question I asked in a topic there, and after looking through his suggestions, I realized that the Olight T10 w/ G5 LED and the Fenix P2D w/ Q5 LED lights seem to fit what I want. Are either of these good? Are the companies good?

4. Do I want a light running on 123A or AA batteries?

Hm, I guess that's about it. Have I forgotten anything?

Thanks for any responses.

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Every day carry (EDC) light/knife
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:49:07 PM »
Wander over to www.candlepowerforums.com and you'll get so much information that it'll make your eyes spin.

The light I carry every day is a Fenix L2D CE, the 2 AA version of the P2D and one generation older than the Fenix light you listed in your post. It's a nice light, and does everything I want it to do. Has held up well too, although I really haven't been really rough on it.

I sprung for a light that uses AA 'cause as a poor college student I didn't want to be shelling out almost a buck apiece (which is about what CR123s will run ya, at least) for batteries.

As for a knife; a SAK Tinker has been all I've been carrying lately. I've been spending a lot of time in Milwaukee, and with their 3" blade length limit I'm don't want to carry my Spyderco Native with its 3 1/8" blade. (Plus, I'm not too sure how well that would go over on a college campus. At least a SAK seems fairly innocent.)
Andy

member1313

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:04:05 PM »
Thanks.

So Fenix is a known company? And did you buy it from the fenix-store.com site?

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
Fenix is a fairly well known company, at least among flashlight geeks.

I did buy from fenix-store.com. If I'm not mistaken, the owner is a member of the site I mentioned in my last post.
Andy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »
Picked up one of these a couple 'r three years back at Le Mart de Wal.  $15 or so.  Quality wise it's quite a few steps ahead of your el cheapo gun show special.

It gets knocked around a fair bit.  Hasn't broken yet.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »
I think there is a coupon code over on www.candlepowerforums.com for the Fenix store, it is CPF8. I have both the Fenix L2D and the P2D and like them both.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 04:27:56 PM »
I got a Coast Tac-torch light for Christmas a few years back, 3 AA powering 1 LED.  Sucker is pretty bright, they run about $20 at Dunhams or Gander Mountain.

Staying on the Christmas theme, got a Leatherman single blade clipper for Christmas last year.  Holds an edge well, real quick to open, easy one handed, runs about $30 at Wally-World.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

member1313

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
I'm thinking of either the L1D or the P2D. I'd like some thoughts between the two, and the different versions of each, if possible.

(Do I want the premium model, the CE model, etc.)

atomd

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »
I have a PEAK LED Matterhorn. I love that little light. It's tiny and it's bright enough to use for all sorts of things. It's so small that I can have it in a pants pocket and not even know it's there. It's durable as hell too.

For the knife, a Benchmade mini Griptilian is what I use a lot. It's good enough that it will get the job done, but it doesn't cost a fortune so if it takes the abuses of every day use...no big deal. It's small and light and has a good lockup on it. I used to have a larger spyderco that I loved but it was a bit big and heavy. I really like their products though. I want another spyderco actually.

As far as knife laws in MA, the city of Boston is totally different from any other parts of the state. I think in the city it's 2.5" or 3" blade or smaller (don't quote me on that)...something like that. The rest of the state is pretty loose....just no butterfly knives, auto knives (has to be fully auto...assisted opening is legal) or double edged.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »
I carry a Fenix P1D, It's tiny.
I promise not to duck.

member1313

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »
I think there is a coupon code over on www.candlepowerforums.com for the Fenix store, it is CPF8. I have both the Fenix L2D and the P2D and like them both.
Thanks for saving me $5.60. I just ordered a P2D Q5, some batteries, and a Benchmade 556S.

Booyah.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 07:17:18 AM »
As for the MA gun laws... they are pretty relaxed, from what I've been told by Mass State Troopers and local police officers near Boston.

I carry http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=77.  It has a 3.25 inch blade.  I specifically asked a Trooper and a local MA cop about carrying this knife.  I was told that it was legal.

I know that won't get you out of jail, but unless you can find a law that says it is illegal, then you should be fine.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 03:22:56 AM »
I have an Inova X1 with their keychain-fob green light as a backup. Easy on the pockets and the wallet.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 05:03:23 AM »
I carry an Almar 3 3/8 inch knife on duty.  Easily carries all the way down in my pocket.  I figured that a larger one clipped on to a pocket opening was too dangerous for LE work...too easy for someone to see/get ahold of in a struggle.  No point in arming a bad guy!

I also found a Coleman digital wristwatch with a LED light built in at my local box store for $20.  Score!  I was looking for a cheap watch to wear on duty as a LE instead of my Automatic Seikos with metal bands.  This Coleman covered all of my needs...nylon/velcro strap, digital, and a small flashlight activated by a large push button included.  The light only stays on for 30 seconds.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

beaucoup ammo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 06:46:58 AM »
I would suggest you check the NightHawk 3 Watt Ultra Bright Compact Luxeon LED Flashlight. I've got one and love it. It's 1.5"X5" so the size is close to what you're looking for. Runs $35 to $40 depending on where you buy it. Probably cheaper on E-Bay. As they warn: "Do not look directly into the light." The little sucker IS bright!

Can't help with the blade. I carry a Swiss Army knife from time to time, but doubt that's what you're looking for! Good luck!
You can never have too many guns or too much garlic.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 07:00:45 AM »
Go down to Target and look at the Dorcy Super 1 Watt Led (Cr123) and the River Rock 1 Watt Led (AA). They cost between $20 and $30. I have both and both have been very durable and long lasting.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
Definitely recommend Fenix L1D CE. Mine is my EDC and it lasts forever on a battery, and is brighter than my Surefire E2e, while being smaller, and the "low" mode is very useful for map-reading and the like. I bored mine out on a lathe so that it takes a CR123, but it is still very bright with AAs (which still fit, if CR123s are"t available). I"ve had it for about a year.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Chris

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »
NO advice to offer on a light.  I keep a mini-mag light around, but that doesn't sound like what you want.

I suggest a Swiss Army Knife.  It's one of the few knives that anyone sees and thinks "tool" and not "weapon".  You can find locking blade versions, which offer a bit more strength.  I personally carry two knives, one a strong folder (Benchmade mini-afck) and a SAK.  I'll take my chances with LEO, but as a judicial officer, I have an addvantage you don't.  Sorry.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »
No advice on the light.  For an EDC knife, I highly recommend a mini-Griptillian with a half-werrated blade.  It is quite capable, locks up tight, and is pretty light.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 05:47:08 AM »
Oh, forgot the knife part.....

I carry at least two.....a CRTK Crawford-Kaspar folder for the big stuff and a Leatherman Micra for smaller jobs (and to use when I don't want to scare my co-workers). I keep the Micra clipped on a small carabiner attached to my keyring or change pouch so it's easier to find in my pocket.

I may upgrade the Micra to a Squirt or a Juice. They are slightly larger, and my fat fingers sometimes aren't dexterious enough to manipulate the Micra.....

Hope that helps....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »
I forgot the knife part too. On my right pocket I EDC an ancient plain-edge Spyderco Endura Wave that i bought back when they could only be had for $100 from some obscure forum, and then immediately put on a belt sander to give it sort of a convex grind, because I can't stand hollow-ground blades. I keep this one shaving sharp. On my left pocket I EDC an even more ancient PE Spyderco Delica with acid stains on the blade, which I keep atomically sharp. Around my neck I carry one of those spyderco mini-knives (ladybug?) that I use for fingernail duty. I've never had to sharpen it. And I carry a Leatherman Squirt S4 on my keychain.

I also EDC an ARC-P keychain light and a fauxton.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »
I carry a Surefire E2e every day.,  It's a fantastic light.  A bit expensive, but well worth it for something that I carry every day and use almost every other day.  CR123a batteries are stupidly expensive, but I solved that problem by switching over to a rechargeable battery/bulb system.

I also own two Fenix L2D lights.  They're decent lights, but not as nice as the Surefire.  The Fenixes (Fenixi? Fenix's?) aren't quite up to my standards as a primary, everyday light.  I keep one in the car and one in the house, sort of as backups in case my Surefire isn't in my pocket for some reason.  They aren't bad lights, really, but they aren't as good as the Surefire.

I just bought a Benchmade 707.  I'm really impressed with it.  The handle shape is always comofortable, always "just right", no matter how I'm holding the knife.  It replaced a Benchmade 941 which I carried every day for the past 5 years or so.  Benchmade's axis lock is a Really Good Thing.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 12:54:21 PM »
Surefires are very nice in the guy-jewelry way, but I've burnt out a Surefire incandescent; I've never burnt out an LED. And my modified L1D is much brighter than my E2e, while going 3 times as long on half the batteries, and being about half the size, and having a very useful 'low' mode, and being quite a bit cheaper. So that makes it the better light, for an EDC, in my book. The E2e is too big for me to EDC.

When I delivered pizza, and used my flashlight extensively for the express purpose of lighting things up, I actually carried the surefire, simply because it's big enough to get a whole one of my greasy hands on, and it has that momentary pushbutton going for it. And it's my nightstand light. But it's definately not my EDC light.
--Tallpine

member1313

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 01:49:25 PM »
Yeah, Benchmade's Axis Lock system is incredible. I literally have sworn off all other knife companies as a result.

The 707 is really nice. I'm still stuck between the 551 and 556, though.