Author Topic: doing the right thing but too late  (Read 4224 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: doing the right thing but too late
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
My understanding of history is that all the native non-jewish "Palestinians" were offered full citizenship in the new Israeli state, and that some or at least one became MPs.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 03:08:52 PM »
My understanding of history is that all the native non-jewish "Palestinians" were offered full citizenship in the new Israeli state, and that some or at least one became MPs.

Not true.

If that had been done, it wouldn't be a Jewish state, because something like 70 percent of the population wasn't Jewish at the time of independence.  The idea was to carefully draw the borders so that a Jewish majority would be guaranteed; even then, they still ended up with 20 percent non Jewish.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
Unless someone has evidence that Corrie and the PLO were playing with kids in an inappropriate manner, I think the thread may have drifted a wee bit....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.