Author Topic: Dorito Firey Habanero Chips  (Read 4199 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Dorito Firey Habanero Chips
« on: January 17, 2006, 09:06:07 AM »
Anyone try these?

VERY spicy!

Yum!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 09:37:45 AM »
Yeah, I've tried them.  Smiley

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:39:53 AM »
Gee, funny that...

I wonder where I would have tried them... Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:50:22 AM »
Not yet, I will have to look for them.  My current favorite flavor is Kettle Chips "Dill and Sour Cream".

Justin

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 09:50:34 AM »
Mike, I never would have figured you for one of the waterpipe 'n' Doritos crowd.

I'm shocked.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:53:40 AM »
"waterpipe 'n' Doritos crowd."

Waterpipe?

HUH?

Where did that come from?

bratch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 10:20:18 AM »
I loved their Baja Picante but I guess they are discountinued.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »
"waterpipe 'n' Doritos crowd."
Stoners are usually stereotyped as Doritos eaters.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 11:23:33 AM »
Related topic: I threw ONE diced habanero in a pot of chili last week. Made the stuff so hot it was almost uneatable.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 01:09:35 PM »
Mike,

Do those Doritos contain any hydrogenated oils?  Just curious.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 02:08:29 PM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn
Related topic: I threw ONE diced habanero in a pot of chili last week. Made the stuff so hot it was almost uneatable.

- NF
I normally use a quarter to half a habanero.  I used two the first time and had to throw the chilli out.

When I use fresh peppers, I'll use a handful of jalepenos.

Chris

crt360

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 02:26:25 PM »
I'm lazy.  I just keep a bottle of the cheap Mexican habanero sauce around and pour it on everything.  You can pour it on plain crackers and have Firey Habanero Crackers.

If I threw diced habanero or a handful of fresh jalapenos in the chili, no one else would eat it.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
I like it hot, but not stupid hot. Jalapenos on everything and lots of cayenne when cooking, but cerranos are about as far as I take it. Maybe the occasional Thai red for some extra kick.

I worked up the courage to try a paper-thin hair sliver of habanero once. Once. The flavor is wonderful - almost citrus-like - but the heat is incomprehensibly intense. Intense enough to make this dedicated chilehead have to sit down because the endophine rush was so strong! I was shaking almost uncontrollably, sweating profusely, and my mouth and throat were so irritated I could only talk in a barely-understandable croaking whisper.

Not. Again. Thank. You.

My favorite is bread-n-butter jalapenos. You can buy them already done, or take a jar of bread-n-butter pickle juice (after eating all the pickles on some tasty burgers) and just pile in the sliced jalapenos. If you put them in fresh it may take a couple of weeks for them to completely pickle. If you use already pickled jalapenos they will sweeten and be ready to eat pretty much overnight.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 05:32:05 PM »
Believe this or not, but me old man used to eat habanero peppers out of the jar while sitting around watching tv.  Dad and mom spent winters along the Mezican border in Texas, in The Valley.  He loved to bring home a box of jars of habeneros.
When he got to be about 85 his doc told him he needed to stop eating 'em and stop sippin' on brandy and eatin' fried chicken.  He was crushed.  I told him, what the hell dad, you're 85, why don't you just fire your doctor and do as you please.  He did.  He lived till he was 93 and 3 months.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 05:57:20 PM »
I don't eat habaneros by themselves but my chili gets 3 at a time.  Yum, yum.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 06:18:04 PM »
I use Habeneros in my green chili and in the bean dip I make for gaming days.  One or two finely diced, along with some Jalapanios, lemon pulp, chipolte olive oil and fresh cilantro, a good dollop of The Wrath salsa  , NaCl to taste.  Nice and fiery, but not overwhelming.

I've tried the Doritos noted above.  Not bad, but not really that intense of a burn.  The hotest stuff I EVER tasted was this off beat hot sauce called "Hot Pot" made with Hemp seed oil.  I put just a few drops on my veggies one camping trip and WOW!

Can't find it anymore...*sniff* Sad
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 05:10:55 AM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn

- NF
A dollop of sour cream can save a dish like that.
Experiment with a chemist!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 05:37:18 AM »
If the Black Pepper Jack chips are any indication, no, there's no trans fat.

As for peppers, if you want to reduce the heat in a pepper markedly and keep the fruitiness, split the pepper open so that you can lay it flat and cut the ribs off the inside so that you're left with a flat piece of outer shell. The ribs contain most of the heat in the edible portion of the pepper.

p35

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 04:44:23 PM »
Just be careful what you touch- my brother had to "see a man about a horse" while cutting up Habaneros, and thought his junk was going to fall off after he touched it without washing his hands...

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 11:50:51 AM »
On a related topic, I once ate a few jalapenos from a jar. Then tried to take out my contact lenses... shocked

Took three or four alternating acid/alkaline handwashings before I could get the things out.

One great advantage of glasses. cool

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »
We grew two habanero plants summer before last.

Put up beaucoup pints of salsa and diced/froze a lot more.

You gotta wear gloves and observe biohazard procedures when handling them though.

I'm pretty sure you can use habenero in lieu of paint stripper, but it sure makes the salsa interesting!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
n a related topic, I once ate a few jalapenos from a jar. Then tried to take out my contact lenses...
I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who has had that sort of experience.

I chopped up some jalapenos for beans on Sat.  Washed my hands several times over the following 24 hours.  Sunday, get ready for a date and go to put my contacts in.   Instant fire eye!

Latex is a must when dealing with peppers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.