Author Topic: Stupid crook story............to the max!  (Read 4200 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Stupid crook story............to the max!
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/10/11/20101011Phoenix-plastic-bag-robber-abrk.html

What can I say?  This is one of the best I have seen recently.

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Stupid crook story............to the max!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
That one's pretty good.

We had an incident here in the Detroit area a few years ago where a 16 year old kid walked into a Little Caesars pizza to rob the place.  With several customers in the store, he asked for a job application and waited for the store to empty out.  When the other customers left, he robbed the place, and left the application behind with his real information on it.  The cops drove to his house and picked him up.   :lol:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
I don't get it.  You breathe out, there's air in the bag.  You breathe in, the air goes into you.  You breathe out, there's air in the bag again.  You breathe in, you breathe out, you breathe in, you breathe out.

So what was the problem?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:25:25 AM »
I don't get it.  You breathe out, there's air in the bag.  You breathe in, the air goes into you.  You breathe out, there's air in the bag again.  You breathe in, you breathe out, you breathe in, you breathe out.

So what was the problem?

Terry, 230RN

Breathed-out air is used-up air.  You literally suck the life out of it the first time it goes into your lungs.

This is all the fault of our crappy public education system, which apparently failed to teach this young urban entrepaneur the difference between nylon pantyhose and plastic bags.  What we need to do to prevent this from happening to future generations is give all teachers a raise.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »
Breathed-out air is used-up air.  You literally suck the life out of it the first time it goes into your lungs.

Oh come on. If there were any truth to that, we'd all be dead by now, from all the used-up air out there. Yeah, we've all got life-sucking lungs. Whatever.  ;/

It's kinda obvious the police killed this guy, and they're just waiting to "find" his body, supposedly dead from "used-up air." What a crock.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
It's kinda obvious the police killed this guy, and they're just waiting to "find" his body, supposedly dead from "used-up air." What a crock.
You might be on to something:  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1245566/posts

Its sort of hard to believe but there might be something to that 'used up air' theory.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
This is all the fault of our crappy public education system, which apparently failed to teach this young urban entrepaneur the difference between nylon pantyhose and plastic bags.  What we need to do to prevent this from happening to future generations is give all teachers a raise.

Amen. If our teachers don't have enough time to teach about the mystical nature of 'used up air' and deaths caused by placing plastic bags over heads, they NEED a giant raise to motivate them to try harder.

Barack Obama

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »

Not really.  IIRC our atmosphere is 21% oxygen and an exhaled breath is 16% oxygen.  We aren't all that efficient as gobbling the stuff up in a single breath.  You can re-use a lungful of air a few times as long as you've got something to scrub the CO2 out of it.

Not that a plastic bag will do that of course.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »
Not really.  IIRC our atmosphere is 21% oxygen and an exhaled breath is 16% oxygen.  We aren't all that efficient as gobbling the stuff up in a single breath.  You can re-use a lungful of air a few times as long as you've got something to scrub the CO2 out of it.

What's this oxygen-thingy that you speak of and would it be useful for someone who wanted to rob a gas station?

Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
Not really.  IIRC our atmosphere is 21% oxygen and an exhaled breath is 16% oxygen.  We aren't all that efficient as gobbling the stuff up in a single breath.  You can re-use a lungful of air a few times as long as you've got something to scrub the CO2 out of it.

:facepalm:

I call bullfeathers on that.

Everybody knows that when you breathe in you suck all the life out of the air, and that it is up to the trees to put new life back into the air.

That's why everybody is so upset that there's more carbon dioxide in the air, because carbon dioxide is evidence of the life having been sucked out of the air, and people are cutting down too many trees so we don't have enough trees to put life back into the air.

I know all this because I have followed the Global Warming Climate Change Anthropomorphic Global Warming Anthropomorphic Climate Change It's Not Just the Weather ZOMG We're All Gonna Die reports from the beginning and those nice science guys - who by the way looking nothing like Bill Nye - would never lie because it's science, right?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
You use about 1/4 of the oxygen up in one breath; the 21% in  16% out figure mentioned earlier is correct.  Futhermore your body metabolizes about 1/5th of the oxygen your blood is carrying from the heart.
This is why you can do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on a injured human being.
The human (mammalian) lung is not really very efficient in this type of exchange.  But it only has to be "efficient enough" to work in earth's atmosphere.

Now, on the other hand, fishes' gills are generally about 80% efficient.  They live in a low oxygen environment  and  thus require a much more efficient respiratory membrane.  In fact, using known gas exchange values, a theoretical fish having lungs in place of gills would have no oxygen in its blood.
Be thankful you're not a fish .... gill-to-gill resuscitation would be .... pointless. [tinfoil] [popcorn] :cool: :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:05 AM »
I gotta learn to use sarcasm smileys.

Actually, I always kind of wondered how come fish, in their low-oxygen environment, had such small oxygen-absorbing suface areas (gills.)  I learned something today. Eighty percent efficient, huh? Thanks!

I figure I have to learn one thing a day or the day's a waste.  So far, I've learned 25,933 things!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:09:09 AM by 230RN »

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »
I gotta learn to use sarcasm smileys.

Actually, I always kind of wondered how come fish, in their low-oxygen environment, had such small oxygen-absorbing suface areas (gills.)   I learned something today. Eighty percent efficient, huh? Thanks!

I figure I have to learn one thing a day or the day's a waste.  So far, I've learned 25,933 things!

In proportion to the body mass of the fish, the gill provides a far larger surface area available for osmosis.
Mammalian lungs provide a smaller surface area per unit of mass.  
It is really relative to the size of the animal, not the specific size per se.
Another factor is geometry.
In the 1960s a Danish scientist names Dr. Kylstra performed a series of experiments first wiht lab rats, then with dogs.  What he did was take a tank of saline solution, pressurize it, and oxygenate it to the point where it could hold enough oxygen to sustain mammalian life.  The rats used in the experiment, then later, the dogs, seemed to demonstrate one thing;
Although the animals could breath the liquid in the above noted condition, the spherical shaped alveoli of the mammal's lung is the incorrect shape for this.  Whether the respiratory medium is air or water, the act of breathing injects the new medium into basically the center area of the respiratory "sphere" -- the alveoli.  Thus, the oxygen starts out from there, and through pressure differential ("osmosis") moves toward the wall, where the blood vessels are.  Concurrently, the expired carbon dioxide must enter from the wall portion and move into the center.  
This model works well when air is the medium.  Gas molecules can travel quickly and thus the process chugs along.
But in water, the gas molecules travel far slower.  Carbon dioxide thus builds up along the outer portions of the alveoliae, while the oxygen tends to concentrate in the center, doing the animal little good.
The gills of the fish are entirely different.   Each gill is composed of what might be described as a series of stacked "plates" -- sort of like people stacking their kitchen plates in a cupboard.  A blood vessel moves blood through the center of this "string of "plates" (called "laminellae" IIRC).  Each plate in turn can be flush with blood.
Also, these laminelli are far closer to each other than the diameter of the mammalian alveoli.  This helps negate the slow motion of the oxygen/ carbon dioxide molecules in the liquid.
A number of experiments have been conducted over the decades in which artificial gills have been tried.  Some have even been demonstrated to work, atleast insofar as to show that they were extracting oxygen from the water, and it was this oxygen that was being breathed by the particular person involved.  However, the fact remains the individual was still breathing a gas mixture, as the artificial "gill" was actually separate and apart from the "mammal."
This might sound like the beginnings of a clever underwater breathing aparatus, except it still leaves the human dealing with problems resulting from breathing a gas; the threat of nitrogen narcossis, oxygen poisoning, the bends.  Plus, there would be no guarantee that there would be enough oxygen in the water (especially in confined spaces) for any such artificial devices to work.  A scuba tank atleast contains a known amount of oxygen and while it can malfunction, the diver remains inside known parameters of danger.
An implantable device that allows direct respiration of water?

Maybe.  But it won't be until Buck Rogers or Jim Kirk are buzzing around the galaxy until that happens .....

[/end professorial mode] =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »
Amen. If our teachers don't have enough time to teach about the mystical nature of 'used up air' and deaths caused by placing plastic bags over heads, they NEED a giant raise to motivate them to try harder.
what they need is a propane fueled fire under there [insert democrat party mascot here]s to motivate them. >:D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:24:33 PM »
Tommy Gunn

[eager young student mode]

I've also wondered about the fact that since more gas will dissolve in water under higher pressures, is there more oxygen dissolved in water the deeper you go, since the pressures are higher?

Yet at extreme depths, I seem to recall there is little or  no oxygen in the water.  Is this correct?  And if so, is it simply because of the distances involved from the surface?

Is there an equilibrium involved?  That is, the deeper you go, the less chance oxygen has to diffuse to that depth, versus the higher solubility of  the oxygen?

[/eager young student mode]

-------------

When I say "small," as in "small gills," I mean on a macroscopic level, not in terms of the actual surface area.  Your explanation of the structure makes it understandable, and thank you.  Also for the dog and rat experiment explanation.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:54:24 PM by 230RN »

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
Tommy Gunn

[eager young student mode]

I've also wondered about the fact that since more gas will dissolve in water under higher pressures, is there more oxygen dissolved in water the deeper you go, since the pressures are higher?

Yet at extreme depths, I seem to recall there is little or  no oxygen in the water.  Is this correct?  And if so, is it simply because of the distances involved from the surface?

Is there an equilibrium involved?  That is, the deeper you go, the less chance oxygen has to diffuse to that depth, versus the higher solubility of  the oxygen?

[/eager young student mode]
-------------
When I say "small," as in "small gills," I mean on a macroscopic level, not in terms of the actual surface area.  Your explanation of the structure makes it understandable, and thank you.  Also for the dog and rat experiment explanation.

Deep water has less oxygen than water at the surface, and cold water can hold more oxygen (or similar gas) than warm water.  However, it seems that most levels of ocean water have atleast enough oxygen dissolved in it to support some life.  Also, pollution can seriously effect the oxygen content of seawater; the BP oil spill off Louisiana caused a severe depression in the amount of oxygen and has caused a pretty bad die-off of sealife, despite the fact that the oil cleared up faster than many believed. 
As far as deeper water being able to hold more gas, yes, theoretically, as you theorize.  But keep in mind that just because it can doesn't mean it does. 
The ocean includes a huge surface area that allows for a fairly free exchange of gasses.  However, I am not sure how readily these gasses can disperse to the real serious depths of the ocean.  There are things like thermoclines (an abrupt sudden change of one "mass" of water against another) which might limit gas dispersal.  There are ocean currents to deal with as well.  Obviously there must be some ability for oxygen to disperse to depths where life exists ... but it will take a far better oceanographer than I to determine how fast this happens ... or even if our best minds understand the answers to questions such as this.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 04:40:42 AM »

Either he got defective bags, without the "DO NOT PUT BAG OVER HEAD!" warning in big red letters ... or being a product of public education he couldn't read the warning, or saw the words and couldn't figure out what they meant.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design